MSCA PhD funding

AnaGram

MSCA PhD funding

Post by AnaGram » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi there, I was wondering whether I could get more information about MSCA PhD funding on this forum. Anyone who is currently doing their MSCA PhD or has any idea on how do process goes. I was intending to apply to one of the PhD positions but am not sure about three things:

1. Level of competitivness - I have seen that IF is truly competitive, but is the same situation for PhD ? For example compared to Ivy league Universities ?
2. Is it useless to apply if I haven't worked in a lab for at least a year ? I have only lab experience I got during my preclinical years and that was three years ago. Also, do I have to work for an institute or University to be elogible apply ?
3. If apply this year and fail to receive funding, can I apply again next year ? Is there any limit in number of application tries ?

Hope someone can give some answers because I couldn't find any experiences with this online. Thanks in advance :)

CountZ
Site Admin

Re: MSCA PhD funding

Post by CountZ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Welcome :)

Just to clarify, are you referring to applying for an MSCA Individual Fellowship while doing a PhD? Or applying for an MSCA co-fund position? Or something else?

AnaGram

Post by AnaGram » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi CountZ, thanks :)
I was interested in applying to a PhD position that is part of MSCA ITN (Innovative Training Network) funded by EU. Here is a link of the project just in case if I missed something :)
https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/274843

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm not sure about ITN's - and I'm in the social sciences - so I'll let someone else answer.

However, as a general observation, I'd say apply even if you feel like it's very competitive. Few postgrads know where to look when to apply for a Ph.D. and tend to apply to continue where the got their last degree from. This is especially true in the EU.

I doubt (but am not sure) that there's a limit to the number of times you can apply as it seems decentralized (you apply through the member institutions).

Apply! and good luck!

AnaGram

Post by AnaGram » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks a lot :) I'll probably do it, but it would be useful to get some info from someone who went through the process.