2019 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019)

IF ST LIF

Re: 2019 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019)

Post by IF ST LIF » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:59 pm

MSCA_CHEM_2019 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:54 am
Maybe, we will know something about the results this week.
I think is too early to have the results this week...

MSCA-newbie

Post by MSCA-newbie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi folks!
Happy new MSCA-IF-2019 madness to y'all. :lol:
Nice to read you and, above all, happy to know that we're not alone in this world of waiting misery. Last year we overwhelmed NCPs and officers with questions about the release date, that's why I think that they'll stick to the date and give results on Feb 11th. This doesn't mean I'm not already biting my nails... :roll:
Good luck!

MSCA_CHEM_2019

Post by MSCA_CHEM_2019 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:49 pm

IF ST LIF wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:59 pm
MSCA_CHEM_2019 wrote:
I was referring to the change of status (from submission to evaluation) in the famous link. I think we will know the final results at the end of this month or beginning of February.

MSCA-ch

Post by MSCA-ch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:25 pm

I am applying for the first time. I am currently doing another post doc. I have never worked in industry and was always wondering if I would liked it/if I would fit in. I see myself going down the academic track as I enjoy research and the freedom it gives.
But this uncertainty of non tenured positions and the constant moving (I moved to 3 different countries already) are starting to take a toll on me...

[Just some thoughts to discuss while we wait]

AnnaMC wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:24 am
It is just good to talk to people who are on the same boat. That's all. The academic world is so tough. I am currently outside academia although about to start a post-doc. And I can tell you that, in my mind, academia still tops everything else in terms of toxicity. I still want to return, as I am originally interested in my research area. That's the only motive. But a very strong one, to be sure.

AnnaMC

Post by AnnaMC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

MSCA-ch wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:25 pm
I am applying for the first time. I am currently doing another post doc. I have never worked in industry and was always wondering if I would liked it/if I would fit in. I see myself going down the academic track as I enjoy research and the freedom it gives.
But this uncertainty of non tenured positions and the constant moving (I moved to 3 different countries already) are starting to take a toll on me...

[Just some thoughts to discuss while we wait]

AnnaMC wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:24 am
It is just good to talk to people who are on the same boat. That's all. The academic world is so tough. I am currently outside academia although about to start a post-doc. And I can tell you that, in my mind, academia still tops everything else in terms of toxicity. I still want to return, as I am originally interested in my research area. That's the only motive. But a very strong one, to be sure.
It is different, depending on the sector. Personally I am glad that I did it almost immediately after finishing my PhD. Although I have also done some research and teaching in between. It gives a very different and valuable practical perspective. Less elitistic, too. My former supervisor told me that I should get "a real job" lol. This is the most real it gets. Anyway. If you are really fulfilled by doing research then it's the way to go. I personally adore it, and miss it a bit (now). But immediatelly after completing my PhD I absolutely hated everything having to do with academia. Most of the academics that I know have some pretty serious issues, mostly related to their self-esteem. Yes, academia gives some freedom and space to do what you love, research-wise (I mean, normally, as you almost always need to do other stuff too, administrative tasks, teaching etc). So it is worth it in that sense. But having to move so frequently in order to pursue this career is a form of punishment imo. Even the MSCA scheme rewards mobility. I mean what about those people with families, and those with serious relationships? What about a somewhat stable life? In my view this is not a healthy lifestyle at all. Not to mention insecurity ofcourse, but there is insecurity in industry as well.

IF ST LIF

Post by IF ST LIF » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm

MSCA_CHEM_2019 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:49 pm
IF ST LIF wrote:
MSCA_CHEM_2019 wrote:
I was referring to the change of status (from submission to evaluation) in the famous link. I think we will know the final results at the end of this month or beginning of February.
Oh I see! I’ve totally misunderstood you. In that case I think it’s very likely. Indeed last year it changed on the 10th if I remember well.

Anyhow, this link will just be useful to know that the date is approaching and that they are working...

MSCA_CHEM_2019

Post by MSCA_CHEM_2019 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:38 pm

IF ST LIF wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm
MSCA_CHEM_2019 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:49 pm
IF ST LIF wrote:

Oh I see! I’ve totally misunderstood you. In that case I think it’s very likely. Indeed last year it changed on the 10th if I remember well.

Anyhow, this link will just be useful to know that the date is approaching and that they are working...
Don't worry, we are here to share our opinions. You are absolutely right, the link will give us information on how the process is going. On the other hand, I just checked the participant's portal and I have seen that there is an announcement about problems in the Grant management services tonight. Maybe, We can see updates soon.

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 am

MSCA-newbie wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm
Hi folks!
Nice to read you and, above all, happy to know that we're not alone in this world of waiting misery. Last year we overwhelmed NCPs and officers with questions about the release date, that's why I think that they'll stick to the date and give results on Feb 11th. This doesn't mean I'm not already biting my nails... :roll:
Good luck!
I wish that they would just clarify that Feb 11th is the one and only results day. The couple of weeks before are way more miserable because of the anticipation than if they would just set a date and we knew that's when results would be out.

I was surprisingly mellow about only making the reserve list last year. Now I have an academic-adjacent job that I really enjoy, so I am trying to be laid back about the results (although I would love the opportunity of this fellowship). Good luck to all of us. Some happy results are waiting out there for us, so I hope as a group many good things come to us.

oreoreo

Post by oreoreo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:11 am

PetetheCat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 am
MSCA-newbie wrote:
Hi folks!
Good luck!
I wish that they would just clarify that Feb 11th is the one and only results day. The couple of weeks before are way more miserable because of the anticipation than if they would just set a date and we knew that's when results would be out.

I was surprisingly mellow about only making the reserve list last year. Now I have an academic-adjacent job that I really enjoy, so I am trying to be laid back about the results (although I would love the opportunity of this fellowship). Good luck to all of us. Some happy results are waiting out there for us, so I hope as a group many good things come to us.
Well, officially on the portal it says Feb 11t :D So I guess the easiest is to have that date in mind (and if it comes earlier, good for us!)

Amar

Post by Amar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 am

PetetheCat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 am
MSCA-newbie wrote:
Hi folks!
Good luck!

Can i kindly ask what do you define as "academic-adjacent job"?