2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

trina_80

Re: 2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Post by trina_80 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm

SER0 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:42 pm
I think you are in a wrong direction. I became associate editor for three journals in the Last two years. Got into editorial board of two other journals. I don't work with the host and if I get the fellowship I will start working.
trina_80 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm
alexaries543 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:09 pm
Wondering if some of you really got the point of what is the fellowship about? MSCF is not only about excellence, it is about impact on the applicants career. What can be the impact for someone who is already assistant professor, or someone who published 32 articles in two years!!? What will be the impact, being able to write 100 in two years and get a new record?
I don’t think that they missed the point, they know exactly what they’re doing. It just seems to me that SERO’s host simply developed a system of growing successful candidates by integrating them in a group of people that help each other – by publishing together, citing each other etc., which is advantageous both for the host and the candidates. From the standpoint of someone who has done most of his/her research independently and has grown as a researcher “organically” it might seem unfair and… it probably is. Nevertheless, it’s a fairly common practice. We just have to hope that there’s a place for “the others” in there as well.
I understood that you’re not working with the host. If you did, you couldn’t have applied for this fellowship. My comment was based on what you said, namely that…
“They take only few candidates and work with them for one year to submit the throughly reviewed proposal. They hired reviewers to suggest improvement and finally the proposal were so good. Two years after PhD I could publish…”

SER0

Post by SER0 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm

It depends on many factors. When I submitted my PhD thesis to my guide he was surprised to see 15 journal papers were there. Then after reviewing the chapters he said when you want to submit. I said when 15th got the acceptance. Exactly after 20 months that was done. I took longer time for PhD to complete. However during the time I was waiting for official process, I started to make a detailed investigation on various issues and saved them in hard drives. Thereafter I started submitting already prepared staff to journals. Some of them I gave as master thesis title and made more complete to be publishable.
With all the efforts I failed in my interviews to get an academic position in Europe. The recent one failed because I didn't know the local language. Therefore the fellowship will help me to find a better place after two years.
Esbesp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 pm
alexaries543 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:41 pm
Those institutions who are able to publish dozens of articles a year and have enough funds to hire reviewers and so on should seriously take a course on ethics in research and start to consider if MSCF is the right funding source. We definitely need more funds for social science and humanity, otherwise the system, as someone said before, wont get to any good direction. Ethics dear engineers, ethics! Your new invention can wait!!!
I am an engineer and I can tell you that those systems are not common at all in engineering research groups. I have been in three different teams so far and you are lucky if you can publish three papers a year with a team of 4 to 6 people. At least that's my experience!!

SER0

Post by SER0 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:03 pm

This is a good strategy to make sure that the efforts will not be wasted.
trina_80 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm
SER0 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:42 pm
I think you are in a wrong direction. I became associate editor for three journals in the Last two years. Got into editorial board of two other journals. I don't work with the host and if I get the fellowship I will start working.
trina_80 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm

I don’t think that they missed the point, they know exactly what they’re doing. It just seems to me that SERO’s host simply developed a system of growing successful candidates by integrating them in a group of people that help each other – by publishing together, citing each other etc., which is advantageous both for the host and the candidates. From the standpoint of someone who has done most of his/her research independently and has grown as a researcher “organically” it might seem unfair and… it probably is. Nevertheless, it’s a fairly common practice. We just have to hope that there’s a place for “the others” in there as well.
I understood that you’re not working with the host. If you did, you couldn’t have applied for this fellowship. My comment was based on what you said, namely that…
“They take only few candidates and work with them for one year to submit the throughly reviewed proposal. They hired reviewers to suggest improvement and finally the proposal were so good. Two years after PhD I could publish…”

lifmc2020

Post by lifmc2020 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Wow this forum is picking up pace of posts! :lol: I like it

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Esbesp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 pm
alexaries543 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:41 pm
Those institutions who are able to publish dozens of articles a year and have enough funds to hire reviewers and so on should seriously take a course on ethics in research and start to consider if MSCF is the right funding source. We definitely need more funds for social science and humanity, otherwise the system, as someone said before, wont get to any good direction. Ethics dear engineers, ethics! Your new invention can wait!!!
I am an engineer and I can tell you that those systems are not common at all in engineering research groups. I have been in three different teams so far and you are lucky if you can publish three papers a year with a team of 4 to 6 people. At least that's my experience!!
That's true. And, make no mistake, the exact same system exists and works just as well in social sciences and humanities.

Fu Manchu

Post by Fu Manchu » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:11 pm

alexaries543 wrote:
Wondering if some of you really got the point of what is the fellowship about? MSCF is not only about excellence, it is about impact on the applicants career. What can be the impact for someone who is already assistant professor, or someone who published 32 articles in two years!!? What will be the impact, being able to write 100 in two years and get a new record?
Exactly what my host and supervisor (former MSCA fellow) told me.

You can apply for it if you have 32 articles published in 2 years. However, you need to persuade the evaluators why the hell this fellowship will be mandatory for the "development" of your career.

My approach was completely different. Of course, the excellence of your proposal is important - but most evaluators don't have a clue about how updated your references and debate are. The point is the development of your academic career. Well, this is what they told me.

SER0

Post by SER0 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm

This is exactly the same reason I got rejection last time. As the reviewer mentioned applicant will not get benefits from host whatever host offered already he has. This time I changed the host and worked on a new topic that I had only few papers in this area. But the host is the chief editor of journal in the area that I proposed to work. Let's see what happens with this one.
Fu Manchu wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:11 pm
alexaries543 wrote:

You can apply for it if you have 32 articles published in 2 years. However, you need to persuade the evaluators why the hell this fellowship will be mandatory for the "development" of your career.

My approach was completely different. Of course, the excellence of your proposal is important - but most evaluators don't have a clue about how updated your references and debate are. The point is the development of your academic career. Well, this is what they told me.

Fu Manchu

Post by Fu Manchu » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:20 pm

SER0 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm
This is exactly the same reason I got rejection last time. As the reviewer mentioned applicant will not get benefits from host whatever host offered already he has. This time I changed the host and worked on a new topic that I had only few papers in this area. But the host is the chief editor of journal in the area that I proposed to work. Let's see what happens with this one.
Fu Manchu wrote:
alexaries543 wrote:

Good to know that other people are in the same tune as me :D :D . Let's hope the evaluators agree with us.

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 pm

lifmc2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:06 pm
Wow this forum is picking up pace of posts! :lol: I like it
There is always place for some good drama :lol: 8-)

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:20 pm
SER0 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm
Fu Manchu wrote:

Good to know that other people are in the same tune as me :D :D . Let's hope the evaluators agree with us.
Now I feel bad for never in my life having to argue that I’m not too pretty for the job. :?