2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

nagyenz

Re: 2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Post by nagyenz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Hello,

I'm also new to this forum. Applied for several fellowships in the past 2 years, but this is my first time with MSCA.

I just wanted to point out, that not only the number of applicants, but the budget also increased (altho not in the same proportion):
2019 - 294.5 M (https://cdn1.euraxess.org/sites/default ... _part2.pdf)
2020 - 325 (from previous pdf) or 328 M (https://ec.europa.eu/info/news/record-n ... -sep-10_en)

Good luck to everyone!

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm

So that's a 10% increase in budget (based on nagyenz) and a 17% increase in applications. Here are the increases per panel:

All panels: 17%
ST 16%
RI 11%
CAR 42%
SE 15%
GF 13%

rf91

Post by rf91 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:25 pm

CountZ wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm
So that's a 10% increase in budget and a 17% increase in applications. Here are the increases per panel:

ST 16%
RI 11%
CAR 42%
SE 15%
GF 13%
Wow, this is quite interesting.

And do we know how the budget is allocated per each panel from the previous years?

AnnaMC

Post by AnnaMC » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:47 pm

PetetheCat wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:58 pm
AnnaMC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 pm
Now, regarding who has early access to the list of MSCA recipients, I don't think that anybody can provide a definite answer to this, i.e. with 100% certainty. Do the NCPs get the list beforehand? If so (since this appears to be the case given last year's experience), when? How many days before the official results? Are they forbidden or not to share the info with the applicants? On the basis of what agreement? What about personal data? Can the NCPs share the WHOLE list as happened last year? Should they just notify individual applicants upon request? Are there common rules among the different NCPs? Are the hosts notified beforehand, either officially or unofficially? If so, when? The fact that there are no straightforward answers to these questions is very telling about the transparency of the whole process. And that's an issue by and in itself. Besides, it is a fact that MAJOR leaks have occurred in the past due to the broken link. And the EC never really (completely) fixed this, leaving a window open for us to check the (internal) progress of the process, i.e. the transition from evaluation to ranking. Of course, it is amusing to a certain extent, it keeps us busy and that's quite important given the stress of everybody. But... there is a but. That's my two cents.
But the results from Dreamer were just from project ID, not by name, right? (Dreamer, is this so - it's what I remember.) That would mean that there is just a spreadsheet that they send out that probably just allows them to be ready to answer questions about how many projects are on a waiting list below the funding cutoff or something. So this wouldn't involve any personal data.

From what I know of the previous emails I have received from the EC, both my supervisor and the designated administrative contact at my host institution got the same email at the same time as me. And I am at a host with a well-established infrastructure for MSCA IF, and they certainly do not have any information before the candidates. This is something I am certain of in this case at least.
Nope, not just the project ID. He/She also had access to the title of the project, and I don't know what other info... The title I would (personally) consider personal data. And still, this doesn't respond to some of the other questions, i.e. when do the NCPs receive the list since they obviously do before the official results, on the basis of what agreement and under what conditions they share the info with applicants. Is it, as Dreamer said, a matter of 'kindness' of some of the NCPs? And why some NCPs are kinder than others? Don't get me wrong, I don't attack the Dreamer. I am just saying that there are some issues of here... Anyways. The bottom line is that everyone here is stressed about the same thing. We are all into this.

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm

I'd like to know a rough number of the grants per panel etc. As some countries had extra points, car and standard are not equally weighted... I didn't pay much attention to this part of the applicant guide to be honest, but re-reading it now it seems quite meshy to me

Fu Manchu

Post by Fu Manchu » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm

rf91 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:25 pm
CountZ wrote:
So that's a 10% increase in budget and a 17% increase in applications. Here are the increases per panel:

ST 16%
RI 11%
CAR 42%
SE 15%
GF 13%

And do we know how the budget is allocated per each panel from the previous years?
I am terrible in statistics, but in the Guide of Applicants says that CAR has x2 weight and RI x1.5 weight.
The table indicates around 19% to CAR and 14.3% to RI. If I am right - and its very likely I am not, lol - CAR will have around 118 successful projects (the panel had around 625 applications). Still very difficult, but a bit less than other panels.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:39 pm

Many thanks Anna for this post. Probably you will be the last one to know some news in the case of some earlier results.I mean who will care about stupid titles or something other ones.Please, last one time, last year many many colleagues said ''dreamer is troll'' I was very sad because I spend days and hours deeply in the night to gave answer to any ant fucking messaged received in inbox, ca over 500 messages I was received. Therefore , I put in many faces smile with good information but of course, and unfortunately sadness at a lot of ones. Generally, there was good party with hundreds of colleagues on the while. And know there again I read some fully insane conclusion like yours, title, private information and so on, who will care for this. :) God!
Then, all NCPs have results on the time when ranking finished. ALL!!!!!!!! AND FULL LIST with every evaluated proposals, EVERY!!!!!But on the list any personal information was not written!!!!!

So just enjoy there without extra stress. Please!!!!

AnnaMC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:47 pm
PetetheCat wrote:
AnnaMC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 pm
Now, regarding who has early access to the list of MSCA recipients, I don't think that anybody can provide a definite answer to this, i.e. with 100% certainty. Do the NCPs get the list beforehand? If so (since this appears to be the case given last year's experience), when? How many days before the official results? Are they forbidden or not to share the info with the applicants? On the basis of what agreement? What about personal data? Can the NCPs share the WHOLE list as happened last year? Should they just notify individual applicants upon request? Are there common rules among the different NCPs? Are the hosts notified beforehand, either officially or unofficially? If so, when? The fact that there are no straightforward answers to these questions is very telling about the transparency of the whole process. And that's an issue by and in itself. Besides, it is a fact that MAJOR leaks have occurred in the past due to the broken link. And the EC never really (completely) fixed this, leaving a window open for us to check the (internal) progress of the process, i.e. the transition from evaluation to ranking. Of course, it is amusing to a certain extent, it keeps us busy and that's quite important given the stress of everybody. But... there is a but. That's my two cents.
But the results from Dreamer were just from project ID, not by name, right? (Dreamer, is this so - it's what I remember.) That would mean that there is just a spreadsheet that they send out that probably just allows them to be ready to answer questions about how many projects are on a waiting list below the funding cutoff or something. So this wouldn't involve any personal data.

From what I know of the previous emails I have received from the EC, both my supervisor and the designated administrative contact at my host institution got the same email at the same time as me. And I am at a host with a well-established infrastructure for MSCA IF, and they certainly do not have any information before the candidates. This is something I am certain of in this case at least.
Nope, not just the project ID. He/She also had access to the title of the project, and I don't know what other info... The title I would (personally) consider personal data. And still, this doesn't respond to some of the other questions, i.e. when do the NCPs receive the list since they obviously do before the official results, on the basis of what agreement and under what conditions they share the info with applicants. Is it, as Dreamer said, a matter of 'kindness' of some of the NCPs? And why some NCPs are kinder than others? Don't get me wrong, I don't attack the Dreamer. I am just saying that there are some issues of here... Anyways. The bottom line is that everyone here is stressed about the same thing. We are all into this.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Also, I did not receive it, but I know very well how all of us felt especially in the difficult time of exception such great news by EC that could be changed fully carrier and rolling in some other and excellent way.All mentioned I had on the mind and decide to spend my time to share informations with colleagues that were in the same basket as me.

Dreamer wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:39 pm
Many thanks Anna for this post. Probably you will be the last one to know some news in the case of some earlier results.I mean who will care about stupid titles or something other ones.Please, last one time, last year many many colleagues said ''dreamer is troll'' I was very sad because I spend days and hours deeply in the night to gave answer to any ant fucking messaged received in inbox, ca over 500 messages I was received. Therefore , I put in many faces smile with good information but of course, and unfortunately sadness at a lot of ones. Generally, there was good party with hundreds of colleagues on the while. And know there again I read some fully insane conclusion like yours, title, private information and so on, who will care for this. :) God!
Then, all NCPs have results on the time when ranking finished. ALL!!!!!!!! AND FULL LIST with every evaluated proposals, EVERY!!!!!But on the list any personal information was not written!!!!!

So just enjoy there without extra stress. Please!!!!

AnnaMC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:47 pm
PetetheCat wrote:

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:38 pm

Dreamer wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm
Also, I did not receive it, but I know very well how all of us felt especially in the difficult time of exception such great news by EC that could be changed fully carrier and rolling in some other and excellent way.All mentioned I had on the mind and decide to spend my time to share informations with colleagues that were in the same basket as me.
Dreamer, now I feel bad as I think I accused you of being a troll at some point, but you were totally right!! :)

You were incredibly generous with your time!

We will get the results when we get them, and maybe that will be through the amazing Dreamer, or we will have to wait for our official letters. But they are coming. At the very worst, it is less than three weeks to go. The sooner the better for stopping this forum from distracting me from my job!

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm
rf91 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:25 pm
CountZ wrote:

ST 16%
RI 11%
CAR 42%
SE 15%
GF 13%

I am terrible in statistics, but in the Guide of Applicants says that CAR has x2 weight and RI x1.5 weight.
The table indicates around 19% to CAR and 14.3% to RI. If I am right - and its very likely I am not, lol - CAR will have around 118 successful projects (the panel had around 625 applications). Still very difficult, but a bit less than other panels.
What confusas me a lot, and I might be wrong here, is that I read that some particular countries are also prometed with a higher weight if a researcher is willing to conduct his/her research there, so I guess that would have an impact on the number of grantted projects per panel!! But again, as many of you say, it’s a matter of time to know. I keep convincing myself that I’ll have to wait until 15th of february or so... that way if I recceive them the 9th it will be a “total surprise” hahaha