2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Alessandra

Re: 2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Post by Alessandra » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 pm

Amancay wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:59 pm
Oh, gosh... Just thought I'd check what new here after a while, and I find all this...
I'm so sorry for you Dreamer, Pete, whomever else got a negative result. I was rooting for you.
No matter how much we prepare ourselves and try  not to build expectation, it is disappointing and can be discouraging, after all the hard work put into it.
Please don't let it discourage you from pursuing your research, and look for other ways/places to do it (although it's not easy at all, we all know).

As already said here by several people, it says nothing about you, and a lot about the weaknesses and inconsistencies of the evaluation process.
These cases of a major drop in resubmission appear to be too common, and reveal how subjective the reviewers are.

My prospected supervisor told me before submission that she honestly doesn't know anymore what works because:
1. One of her candidates in previous calls had exactly the same thing - a drop from 88 to 68 with the same proposal, and the only changes were to adress the weaknesses pointed in the first time.
2. She was asked once, as a reviewer, to evaluate a msca proposal on something from our field but completely not in her area of expertise. She told them she is not the right person for it, but makes one wonder how many people do it anyway...

As she thinks my proposal is excellent, she actually said that if this one isn't funded, she will not apply again to msca with other people. So even this highly experienced scholar and supervisor is disillusioned regarding this system and process.

Sending good vibes and virtual covid-free hugs to you all.
And fingers crossed for those of us still waiting and hoping...

(and apologies for this very long manifesto :roll: . Didn't mean too...)
Very nice Manifesto, instead :) Thanks a lot <3

MSCA_ENG20

Post by MSCA_ENG20 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:07 pm

doggoss wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:04 pm
Amancay wrote:
Oh, gosh... Just thought I'd check what new here after a while, and I find all this...
I'm so sorry for you Dreamer, Pete, whomever else got a negative result. I was rooting for you.
No matter how much we prepare ourselves and try  not to build expectation, it is disappointing and can be discouraging, after all the hard work put into it.
Please don't let it discourage you from pursuing your research, and look for other ways/places to do it (although it's not easy at all, we all know).

As already said here by several people, it says nothing about you, and a lot about the weaknesses and inconsistencies of the evaluation process.
These cases of a major drop in resubmission appear to be too common, and reveal how subjective the reviewers are.

My prospected supervisor told me before submission that she honestly doesn't know anymore what works because:
1. One of her candidates in previous calls had exactly the same thing - a drop from 88 to 68 with the same proposal, and the only changes were to adress the weaknesses pointed in the first time.
2. She was asked once, as a reviewer, to evaluate a msca proposal on something from our field but completely not in her area of expertise. She told them she is not the right person for it, but makes one wonder how many people do it anyway...

As she thinks my proposal is excellent, she actually said that if this one isn't funded, she will not apply again to msca with other people. So even this highly experienced scholar and supervisor is disillusioned regarding this system and process.

A friend of mine did not get the MSCA he applied for three years ago. The reviews were ridiculous, but could not be challenged of course. The next year he applied for an ERC starting grant with the same project, and got it. Now, three years after being rejected from MSCA, he is a full professor with his own research group.
Wow, I guess this says it all...
Is the ERC evaluation process known to be much different / of much higher quality than for MSCA?

lifmc2020

Post by lifmc2020 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:09 pm

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (11.25 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
To Dreamer, PetetheCat, the people in evaluation, all of us in ranking who will ultimately not make it this is what I think of all of you :D

MC CHEM 2020

Post by MC CHEM 2020 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Amancay wrote:

Actually the lottery is in getting good reviewers. In my first attempt reviewer commented that this candidate was not in the early career stage. I was doing a fellowship at that time and they were pointing that probably. Second time I got very good comment from reviewers saying the candidate is apt for doing this work. Ironically I was in the second year of same fellowship during second attempt. So reviewers say whatever they feel. This time I have finished my previous fellowship and let's see what they are gonna say😊

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:11 pm

Annual lists with the names and expertise of the reviewers are published, it's just very hard to find on their website!

Mary_dramaqueen wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:55 pm
Why the reviewers are anonymous? At least, we should have a list of all the names for our panel, in order to have a better understanding of the review. We know that sometimes some comments are way too far from our topic. It would help understanding if the comments are made by someone who actually knows about of field... maaaan, this waiting is too much

MSCA_ENG20

Post by MSCA_ENG20 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:13 pm

Zebra wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:11 pm
Annual lists with the names and expertise of the reviewers are published, it's just very hard to find on their website!
Do you have the link? I could not find it.

no42

Post by no42 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

MSCA_ENG20 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:13 pm
Zebra wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:11 pm
Do you have the link? I could not find it.
I've seen it. I can't find it for some reason.

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Yes, it’s true that the lottery is good reviewers. But in my case this year I changed my project a little because of a bad review and this is the result - a big drop in score.

This is the academic process. I am more relaxed about it this year than last. Life goes on after rejection, of this I am sure!

But many here will get it!

CAR-LIF

Post by CAR-LIF » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Here is the link

The bottom option is the expert panel

https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... Code=H2020

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:16 pm

Yes that's what I meant, thanks. I think MSCA falls under the general experts list.

CAR-LIF wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:15 pm
Here is the link

The bottom option is the expert panel

https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... Code=H2020