2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

martadz

Re: 2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Post by martadz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi all! Do you know where we can find the document with the cumulative percentage of proposals above threshold? I am looking for the information about number of funded projects and cut-off but couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks :)

Pikatsu

Post by Pikatsu » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:23 pm

pathg wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:17 pm
Got result- 90.4. Split 4.8/4.2/4.3. The comments do not make any sense.
Anyone tried `evaluation review` option? Reevaluation! , they seriously do that, does it work?
I would like more information on that too. I saw that only coordinator though can initiate an apply for re-evalution....

Surrreal

Post by Surrreal » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 pm

Results received early this morning. 88 (as confirmed by both Dreamer and DreamerGirl over the weekend). 4.3/4.5/4.5. CAR panel.

Fair comments and I can easily see a way to improve the proposal next year. Seeing how close to the cut-off I was this year, it's reasonable to believe that with the targeted changes suggested the project can potentially be funded next year (though, this is by no means guaranteed judging from fellow applicants' experiences with resubmissions that have been shared in this forum).

This forum has been an oasis of sanity and camaraderie, many thanks to all contributors!

DMS

Post by DMS » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi Guys!

Got my rejection letter today :(
89.8 GF-LIF, the Dream Team was 100% accurate.

Do you know how does the seal of excellence work? Will they send a separate letter just for it?
As I saw nothing about it in both the rejection letter and in the evaluation report.

feliz

Post by feliz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:16 pm

112_MC wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:01 am
Got the rejection letter...Rejected with very high score (94) in LIF. Reviewers comments were quite absurd. It sounds like they cannot fund many people and need to justify somehow why they don't fund you, if you are not lucky enough. I did not read anything about the Seal of Excellence....
Wow, a rejection with 94! :x
Looks like the cutoff has increased - it was 92.6 last year (LIF): https://twitter.com/MSCActions/status/1 ... 2689124353 Maybe people had more time writing the proposal due to lockdowns?

NayeliJC

Post by NayeliJC » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:17 pm

I feel you! I applied to the Paris Region Fellowship and I wasnt even selected for the interview with the same project that scored 92.20 at MSCA but was rejected.
I still have a tiny hope as my supervisor applied for a small project, if failed again I'll have to think seriously what I'm doing with my future as I've been separated 5 years in a 12 years relationship.

Anni_LIF wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:58 am
Rejection finally received. Faster than expected. :D

In the Excellence part, there are a lot of contradicting comments. Most of my weaknesses also that with the word "Although". Although this is very well addressed, it does not...

For a few things I do not really know what I could have done different: Did anyone get a similar comment and those who did not, what was different in yours: "The proposal provides unclear information regarding the distribution of person-months across tasks, undermining the demonstration that the
work plan is credible."

I do have descriptions on how many months for which project, also in the Gantt chart. Also got complimented on the Gantt chart.

I am overall still very very sick. I had another negative grant outcome, two weeks ago. And these two were my big ones this year. Here in France, there are no national Grants (from their national grant agency) for postdocs. Simply you can not apply for anything without a permanent position. So the only possibility are European grants.

I think I am done with this job. You are always on the bottom, never feeling like moving forward and getting better. Have not lived with my husband/boyfriend for 14 years now, because we put Science first, not life.

chemist2010

Post by chemist2010 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I see a lot of you being absolutely disheartened and sad upon the receipt of Marie Curie results and are talking of leaving academia, feeling demotivated and so on. I will share my story and maybe it will help.
I had applied for the MCIF fellowships in 2017 when I was in my final year of PhD. And, honestly I had decent publications (with Impact factors >10 for two). I had got a good host in Germany who was renowned and also hard working and we had spent close to 5 months working and editing on the proposal to make it scientifically accurate and eye-catching. Unfortunately, I got 88.5 and was rejected. I did not give up and wrote a Newton Fellowship with an UK Host, and a Fulbright fellowship with an US Host. The Newton proposal was rejected and so was the Fulbright Fellowship. However my US boss applied for a NSF grant based on my proposal and it got through. He immediately asked me to move to US and work under him, and I worked for him for two years, got some decent papers. But with Trump cancelling VISAs left, right and center, I tried moving to Europe and finally got a host who asked me to write a Humboldt Fellowship. I was pretty frustrated knowing that I have had such a terrible record with scholarships and wrote a proposal in 15 days, didn’t even bother formatting, type setting and completely forgot about it. 6 months later, I received an email that I was selected and I moved to Germany in late 2020.
So, my point is don’t give up. I am a pretty average student with average publications, I had been rejected four times, maybe the European Commission gives some weightage to postdoctoral experience too, and a good proposal doesnot always mean acceptance. It is pretty random, and just like your phd, if you persist hard and long enough, you will be successful. I hope my experience will motivate you to do the same.

chemcps

Post by chemcps » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:25 pm

MSCA-IF-RI-LIF-2020 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:36 pm
robust_and_resilient wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:19 pm
got my rejection email this morning, 4.2/4.6/4.7 , overall score as given by Dreamer (thanks again!), CAR panel.

I got very few comments, nothing helpful. Excellence part - minor remarks, about the secondment hosts. Part 2 and 3 - no weaknesses, so no justification why not 5 and 5. Looks like they pushed my project 2 points below the cutoff on purpose. So unfair :(

congrats winners and good luck everyone!
those who didn't make it, stay robust and resilient, and probably see you here next year!
I am curious did anyone get funded with a "lower" excellence, say less than 4.3, but who got 5 and 5 in the other panels? I feel they have some internal cutoff that if the excellence is not above some arbitrary cut off they lower impact and implementation even when no weakness identified.

Just a speculation but i notice it is usually those where the science part is closer to 4 that suddenly despite no weakness in part 2 and 3 they lose points.
Yes I have same

Hersichtei

Post by Hersichtei » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:26 pm

martadz wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:23 pm
Hi all! Do you know where we can find the document with the cumulative percentage of proposals above threshold? I am looking for the information about number of funded projects and cut-off but couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks :)
This?

https://twitter.com/MSCActions/status/1 ... 76/photo/1

Hersichtei

Post by Hersichtei » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi everyone! I'm on the waiting list for ST-MAT (place 25 of 22). Does someone know how many accepted projects were rejected by the applicants in the past years?