2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Valxerpent

Re: 2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Post by Valxerpent » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi everyone!
I have been a silent reader of this forum the last few days, congratulations to all the winners and thank you dream team for making the waiting more bearable.

It was my first application, and a few hours i got my rejection letter (ST-LIF 84%, as dreamgirl had told me). I got 3.8/5/4 The proposal was mostly evaluated positively, and the weakness are mainly easily solved in case of re-submitting. But i got this two comments regarding transfer of knowledge, which i struggled while writing and i am still not sure what they expect in this sections:

"There is insufficient description of formal training opportunities in transferable skills that will be available to the researcher
- Opportunities for valuable transfer of knowledge and skills from the researcher to the host organisation are not described convincingly"

May anyone with a successful proposal be super kind and pm me these sections of their proposal, so to have an example for next year? I would be really grateful :)

Thank you and best to all!
Last edited by Valxerpent on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suerte

Post by Suerte » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Anyone in the reserve list?

sbg

Post by sbg » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Where do you see the 'Evaluation Review' option? I would like to do it too! Since it seems that my proposal read by a really non-familiar reviewer who says as weakness ''The use of organic solvents, which have low sustainability and safety profiles''. I haven't met anybody until now who can synthesize a chemical structure without any liquid inside (which could be organic solvent or a liquid reactant)!!??
pathg wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:17 pm
Got result- 90.4. Split 4.8/4.2/4.3. The comments do not make any sense.
Anyone tried `evaluation review` option? Reevaluation! , they seriously do that, does it work?

marinemicrobe

Post by marinemicrobe » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:53 pm

chemist2010 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Hi Guys,

I see a lot of you being absolutely disheartened and sad upon the receipt of Marie Curie results and are talking of leaving academia, feeling demotivated and so on. I will share my story and maybe it will help.
I had applied for the MCIF fellowships in 2017 when I was in my final year of PhD. And, honestly I had decent publications (with Impact factors >10 for two). I had got a good host in Germany who was renowned and also hard working and we had spent close to 5 months working and editing on the proposal to make it scientifically accurate and eye-catching. Unfortunately, I got 88.5 and was rejected. I did not give up and wrote a Newton Fellowship with an UK Host, and a Fulbright fellowship with an US Host. The Newton proposal was rejected and so was the Fulbright Fellowship. However my US boss applied for a NSF grant based on my proposal and it got through. He immediately asked me to move to US and work under him, and I worked for him for two years, got some decent papers. But with Trump cancelling VISAs left, right and center, I tried moving to Europe and finally got a host who asked me to write a Humboldt Fellowship. I was pretty frustrated knowing that I have had such a terrible record with scholarships and wrote a proposal in 15 days, didn’t even bother formatting, type setting and completely forgot about it. 6 months later, I received an email that I was selected and I moved to Germany in late 2020.
So, my point is don’t give up. I am a pretty average student with average publications, I had been rejected four times, maybe the European Commission gives some weightage to postdoctoral experience too, and a good proposal doesnot always mean acceptance. It is pretty random, and just like your phd, if you persist hard and long enough, you will be successful. I hope my experience will motivate you to do the same.
This is an encouraging story, thanks for posting it.

The thing is, as you get "older" (years post PhD defense), things get harder and harder. Like many others said here, some of us have been living abroad, moving around, living away from our partners and basically putting our work before our personal life for years, and the road doesn't get easier, quite the opposite. More and more calls are reserved for "young" researchers (2/5 years max after PhD)... the older you get, the more difficult it is to secure funding. So it is very difficult to stay positive...

I'm honestly relieved to see how many people notice inconsistencies in their review (same here). My feeling is that this basically means that reviewers didn't agree - while someone might have found that the proposed science was excellent, if one person doesn't agree it automatically lowers your score, and you're left with something like:
"Strength: the ideas are new and interesting
Weakness: the proposed research isn't really groundbreaking".
:shock: :shock:
Maybe the message here is that all three reviewers need to love your project. If any of them gets confused or dislikes anything, you don't get funded... and you're left with an evaluation that basically says "we couldn't agree on this project, ciao".

Suerte

Post by Suerte » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Hersichtei wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:28 pm
Hi everyone! I'm on the waiting list for ST-MAT (place 25 of 22). Does someone know how many accepted projects were rejected by the applicants in the past years?
How do you know your position? I contacted my NCP and they said they need one week to provide this info....

Hersichtei

Post by Hersichtei » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Suerte wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 pm
Hersichtei wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm on the waiting list for ST-MAT (place 25 of 22). Does someone know how many accepted projects were rejected by the applicants in the past years?
How do you know your position? I contacted my NCP and they said they need one week to provide this info....
I contacted my NCP yesterday morning. Got an answer the same day.

nino

Post by nino » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:09 pm

I have the same problem, and I will try.
A read that the request for reevaluation must be done by the grant coordinator of your host institution.
Best of lucks!
pathg wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:17 pm
Got result- 90.4. Split 4.8/4.2/4.3. The comments do not make any sense.
Anyone tried `evaluation review` option? Reevaluation! , they seriously do that, does it work?
;)
Cheers !
Nino

Suerte

Post by Suerte » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:09 pm

Hersichtei wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Suerte wrote:
Hersichtei wrote:
Usually if you are in the top 10 you have credible chance to get it. Although I hope this year, as the H2020 finishes, more findings may become availavle

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:12 pm

Tons of comments this year. I feel like maybe the reviewers disagreed over my proposal as there are a ton of positive comments that are quite detailed. Amongst all these, some favourite reasons for rejection this year: my communication plans to the public (note that there are other disseminations to professionals that are innovative) are traditional and my career plans are generic. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having had this reviewed three times, I can say that you should not get too caught up on addressing every comment that they make. Just try and discern what is a good comment, as in you think it will improve your proposal, and then work on that area.

Hersichtei

Post by Hersichtei » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:17 pm

Suerte wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:09 pm
Hersichtei wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Suerte wrote:

Usually if you are in the top 10 you have credible chance to get it. Although I hope this year, as the H2020 finishes, more findings may become availavle
I understand. Many thanks for the information!

Edit: Also, all the best with your proposal!