Your Opinion Please. Appreciated

RamiTabla

Your Opinion Please. Appreciated

Post by RamiTabla » Sun May 31, 2020 12:53 am

Hi Everyone,
Im about to make an important decision and I appreciate your opinion please.

I have MSCA IF 2018 in Norway to be started in July 2020. Im currently in Finland with my family and I have postdoc position for another year. I have to choose between the two fellowships. The positive side in Finland is that I will get the citizinship fast(after about 3_4 years) whereas in Norway it will take about 7 years. Im from Yemen and so Im asking about the residence and citizinship issues as I know most of you dont consider this a plus. Is it good if I sacrifice the Marie Curie fellowship in this case and stay in Finland?
Thanks a lot.

Robrad30

Re: Your Opinion Please. Appreciated

Post by Robrad30 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:48 pm

I guess your situation is unique. On the one hand, the MSCA is very prestigious and great on your CV, in addition to the network you’ll make. But, on the other hand, getting EU citizenship if you don’t plan on leaving will be invaluable. While it might take longer to get in Norway, would you be eligible to some type of workers visa to cover the time between finishing the MSCA and being awarded citizenship? I lived in the US on a visa for 7 years so I know how difficult it is to always be at the mercy of the visa system in the place you’re living. Not an easy choice my friend. Good luck.
RamiTabla wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:53 am
Hi Everyone,

I have MSCA IF 2018 in Norway to be started in July 2020. Im currently in Finland with my family and I have postdoc position for another year. I have to choose between the two fellowships. The positive side in Finland is that I will get the citizinship fast(after about 3_4 years) whereas in Norway it will take about 7 years. Im from Yemen and so Im asking about the residence and citizinship issues as I know most of you dont consider this a plus. Is it good if I sacrifice the Marie Curie fellowship in this case and stay in Finland?
Thanks a lot.

RamiTabla

Post by RamiTabla » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:01 am

Robrad30 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:48 pm
I guess your situation is unique. On the one hand, the MSCA is very prestigious and great on your CV, in addition to the network you’ll make. But, on the other hand, getting EU citizenship if you don’t plan on leaving will be invaluable. While it might take longer to get in Norway, would you be eligible to some type of workers visa to cover the time between finishing the MSCA and being awarded citizenship? I lived in the US on a visa for 7 years so I know how difficult it is to always be at the mercy of the visa system in the place you’re living. Not an easy choice my friend. Good luck.
RamiTabla wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:53 am
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot for your response. Actually, I can get residence permit for the time between finishing the fellowship and citizinship. Yes This may be a good option. Thank you

Shapovalov

Post by Shapovalov » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:58 am

Will just add one point:

The prestige that goes with the Marie Curie Fellowship is associated to getting the fellowship, not accepting it.
You can turn it down, and still write on your CV something in the lines of : MSCA IF 2018 awardee (declined). It will still count as funds you have raised, and as a fellowship that you received.