2020 Marie Curie discussions without results speculation

Esbesp

2020 Marie Curie discussions without results speculation

Post by Esbesp » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:15 pm

I start this new topic just trying to create an atmosphere where we don't freak out about results and we share some useful information instead: training opportunities, past experiences preparing proposals, how to build a new project from scratch and so on!!!

Electrolyte

Re: 2020 Marie Curie discussions without results speculation

Post by Electrolyte » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Not a bad idea! Thanks for getting this discussion started. Well preparing proposals is one of the biggest issues for me at the moment. I am in industry, trying to get back to academia and it looks like only a successful proposal will be the only thing that allows that! In terms of getting a successful proposal, it seems most people improve by just writing more proposals and also having access to in-house expertise such as a colleague who help with the proposal. I am not aware of any specific resources as such. Getting help in my case for a proposal like this was extra challenge for me as I naturally don't have support for this working in industry. Hence, this MC proposal was a massive challenge for me! I think it will be difficult for me to be successful but I am hoping!

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:04 pm

Always remember to ask your host for resources! They will hopefully have successful applications, hopefully with review comments. There are also a lot of resources online with tips about what each section is looking for.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks for the insight - definitely host resources are a major one, so the choice of host could have a big impact on success. Yes, I may check out online resources as well in future.

lifmc2020

Post by lifmc2020 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm

indeed my host institute had a section by section guide of what to put where! it was super helpful when doing edits to make sure everything was where it should be. also see if the host has a grants office because if you get the proposal done early enough, they will usually read through and add suggestions you and your supervisor might not think of. for instance in mine they really helped with language about IPR.

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Thank you all for posting!! I kind of need some more serious discussion. I am also in industry trying to get back to academia, and there are certainly serious challenges for people in our position. First of all, it is true that there are some webinars in youtube and so on, but at the end the quality of the information they offer is limited. Regarding the host institution, there are also some serious complications. I have to confess that in my case I obtained a fairly good support from my host, but it was my fault to start very late the proposal writing process (I knew about the call just one month before the deadline, so I assume my few chances this year), but most of the times our time in industry is a factor playing against us. Many supervisors don’t want to spend time with people that, like me, have been appart from research for mor than 5 years now, so that limits a lot the process of host hunting!
This year I applied for CAR panel, let’s see what happens, but I already have in mind to start a new and stronger proposal as soon as possible. That being said, a sencodary point to deal with is the research you have to do to get to know all the funding opportunities!! In my opinion, there are plenty of forums offering information about all sort of issues you have to deal with when you are in industry, but these are not so common in academia (or I don’t look for them in the right places).
ANyways, thanks a lot for sharing your posts guys, I hope more people want to contribute to this discussion as I think it can be very productiva and valuable ;) ;)

Diatosystem

Post by Diatosystem » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 am

Esbesp wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:55 pm
Thank you all for posting!! I kind of need some more serious discussion. I am also in industry trying to get back to academia, and there are certainly serious challenges for people in our position. First of all, it is true that there are some webinars in youtube and so on, but at the end the quality of the information they offer is limited. Regarding the host institution, there are also some serious complications. I have to confess that in my case I obtained a fairly good support from my host, but it was my fault to start very late the proposal writing process (I knew about the call just one month before the deadline, so I assume my few chances this year), but most of the times our time in industry is a factor playing against us. Many supervisors don’t want to spend time with people that, like me, have been appart from research for mor than 5 years now, so that limits a lot the process of host hunting!
This year I applied for CAR panel, let’s see what happens, but I already have in mind to start a new and stronger proposal as soon as possible. That being said, a sencodary point to deal with is the research you have to do to get to know all the funding opportunities!! In my opinion, there are plenty of forums offering information about all sort of issues you have to deal with when you are in industry, but these are not so common in academia (or I don’t look for them in the right places).
ANyways, thanks a lot for sharing your posts guys, I hope more people want to contribute to this discussion as I think it can be very productiva and valuable ;) ;)
Thanks for sharing your experience :) I am actually curious, what are your motivations to sail from Indutry to Academia? Because I know people have done in the other way around (Included me whether I will not success with my proposal)

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:31 am

Diatosystem wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 am
Esbesp wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience :) I am actually curious, what are your motivations to sail from Indutry to Academia? Because I know people have done in the other way around (Included me whether I will not success with my proposal)
Well so far I have worked for industry, for academia and for a government department and definitively I prefer the academia environment for múltiple reasons. First of all I find it more challenging, based in my experience. I am not saying that all industry jobs are boring, but the ones I have taken before are quite a lot based on the same routines every few days. In research that might happen as well, but at least you have more resources and opportunities to break with that routine and to find new challenges. Furthermore it’s easier to collaborate with a wider range of people from múltiple disciplines which is quite mind openning as well. Finally the teaching part that you might have if you also wish to collaborate with your supervisor organizing some courses. What’s your case by the way?

Diatosystem

Post by Diatosystem » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 am

Esbesp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:31 am
Diatosystem wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 am
Esbesp wrote:
Well so far I have worked for industry, for academia and for a government department and definitively I prefer the academia environment for múltiple reasons. First of all I find it more challenging, based in my experience. I am not saying that all industry jobs are boring, but the ones I have taken before are quite a lot based on the same routines every few days. In research that might happen as well, but at least you have more resources and opportunities to break with that routine and to find new challenges. Furthermore it’s easier to collaborate with a wider range of people from múltiple disciplines which is quite mind openning as well. Finally the teaching part that you might have if you also wish to collaborate with your supervisor organizing some courses. What’s your case by the way?
I've just completed my PhD last summer and in the meantime applied for the IF (EF-ST, panel LIF). During my PhD, I was part of a MSCA ITN, thus I would like to continue my career within this framework.
My idea to move to Industry stems from the fact that I am really concerned about the instability of an academic career, in comparison to Industry. Thus, I am considering it only in the case of a very good perpective (as the MSCA IF), which allows me to strongly enhance my CV and my possibility to get further grants in the future.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi Diatosystem. Firstly, congrats on finishing your Phd and I wish you the best of luck with this proposal. I can relate to your story quite alot. I was exactly in this position 2 years ago, just finished the PhD and was trying to decide whether to pursue a career in industry or academia. I am now after doing 2 years in industry and have decided to consider more seriously a career in academia now. When I finished the PhD I had quite a good understanding of what a career in academia entails. I think you have that clear in your head as well. For sure one major downside is the instability associated with academia and I was drawn to the the stability associated with industry and pursued that path. In reality though, it is hard to know how one will feel about industry until they actually try it. In my opinion, it is then easier to make an informed, more rounded decision about chasing a career in academia. That is just my opinion, and that is what helped me make the decision. Some people decide to pursue a career in academia straight after their PhD , and have no curiosity surrounding industry, and there is nothing wrong with that either. I am drawn to academia because of the satisfaction I get to be able to research something I am interested in and I also liked working with other researchers on ideas and collaborating. In industry you kind of have to do the work in front of you and the company are under pressure to get things done so that they can make money and pay their employees! The Marie Curie opportunity is more of an easier decision if you were to get that. However the decision gets more complicated when you are considering for example a 6 month opportunity in a different county vs. a stable job. I don't think it is any harm at least to get some exposure to industry and then return to academia - I haven't made the transition back to academia yet but I am hoping soon! Good luck!