Visa length for MSCA in UK

no42

Re: Visa length for MSCA in UK

Post by no42 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:03 pm

TheTams wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 am
@No42 Can you tell me, when you got a 2 year visa, did they give you any leeway either side for entering and leaving the UK? For example, when I had a two year visa for the US, I was able to enter 10 days before my work started and leave 10 days after it finished. If I get a two year visa for a two year position (MSCA), do they give you any leeway?

Thanks!
I responded to your PM.

You will be on global talent visa. So you should be able to get a lot of leeway ! You can stay until your endorsement is withdrawn I think. Please check with your endorsing organization. This will be something like they royal society for sciences for e.g.

Pingpong

Re: Visa length for MSCA in UK

Post by Pingpong » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 am

The following advice was obtained from the UK NCP:

REA considers the NHS Surcharge to be part of overall visa costs. It is now classified as a 'professional cost' and not a 'private cost' incurred by the researcher. Therefore the fee should be covered through the Institutional Costs category, either through the research, training and networking costs or the management and indirect costs, as outlined in Article 6 (page 455) of the Annotated Model Grant Agreement.

This aligns with previous guidance regarding travel costs for professional reasons, such as the travel costs for the recruited researcher to take up the fellowship, and the visa costs for the recruited researcher. These are also considered 'professional costs' and should be covered by the Institutional Costs category, even if they are incurred prior to the date of recruitment.

Background

Directorate General for Education and Culture (DG EAC) and the Research Executive Agency (REA) has confirmed that for both the ITN and IF, the ‘Mobility Allowance’ is to be used by the recruited researcher to cover costs related to their mobility, such as travel and accommodation. It is to be used to cover the private costs of the researcher. The ‘Mobility Allowance’ should not be used to cover professional costs as these are covered by the ’Research, Training and Networking costs’.

Travel costs for professional reasons, such as the travel costs for the recruited researcher to take up the fellowship, should be covered by the ’Research, Training and Networking costs’. The visa costs for the recruited researcher are also for professional reasons and as such should come from the ’Research, Training and Networking costs’ as well, even if they are incurred prior to the date of recruitment.

Where the recruited research has family members which will be relocating with them, the ‘Family Allowance’ should be used to cover the travel and other relocation costs, including visa entry costs, for the family members. The ‘Family Allowance’ is meant to reduce family related obstacles to researcher mobility.

If you have already used the ’Research, Training and Networking costs’ to cover the visa entry costs for family members, this is not an issue. The annotated model grant agreement states that unused amounts of the ’Research, Training and Networking costs’ may be used for other action-related purposes (e.g. to increase the salary of a researcher, to organise additional training activities, or to cover travel and accommodation costs for secondments of more than 6 months in line with the consortium internal arrangements).