MSCA-IF Salary in Italy

iteration

Re: MSCA-IF Salary in Italy

Post by iteration » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm

cdemente wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am
iteration wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 am
They were just back of the envelope calculations, there may be other small deductions.
Basically, for an assegno di ricerca contract (no income tax, only pension deductions to INPS gestione separata 34.23%), I would expect:

Living: EUR 4,880 * 1,044 = 5,094.72 (*adjusted for Italy)
+
Mobility: EUR 600
+
Family: EUR 500
=

6194.72 * 0.6577 = 4074.27 NET ..more or less..
I am not sure if the country coefficient is also applied to mobility and family allowance, in this case the total would be slightly higher.

I may have neglected other costs, etc.
So I suggest you to ask your host institution, I may have missed something.
I am not quite sure that this is how it actually works. The Living + Mobility + Family Allowance is not your gross salary, but the money they pay your University to cover the COST of your salary. The employer usually has to pay their own taxes for the worker, you then get your GROSS, and then you pay your own taxes, and that's your NET.

For instance, in my case (I was awarded a MSCA-IF in the Netherlands), Living + Mobility + Family = 5.865 €. My GROSS salary, after the University covers the COST of my contact, is around 3.700€, and my NET, after my individual taxes, is around 3.100€.
~23% emploer and ~11% you so about 34% total for assegno di ricerca.
It is a special contract for universities, it is not considered income, and you pay only social security and no income tax.

cdemente

Post by cdemente » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm

iteration wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm
cdemente wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am
iteration wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 am
They were just back of the envelope calculations, there may be other small deductions.
Basically, for an assegno di ricerca contract (no income tax, only pension deductions to INPS gestione separata 34.23%), I would expect:

Living: EUR 4,880 * 1,044 = 5,094.72 (*adjusted for Italy)
+
Mobility: EUR 600
+
Family: EUR 500
=

6194.72 * 0.6577 = 4074.27 NET ..more or less..
I am not sure if the country coefficient is also applied to mobility and family allowance, in this case the total would be slightly higher.

I may have neglected other costs, etc.
So I suggest you to ask your host institution, I may have missed something.
I am not quite sure that this is how it actually works. The Living + Mobility + Family Allowance is not your gross salary, but the money they pay your University to cover the COST of your salary. The employer usually has to pay their own taxes for the worker, you then get your GROSS, and then you pay your own taxes, and that's your NET.

For instance, in my case (I was awarded a MSCA-IF in the Netherlands), Living + Mobility + Family = 5.865 €. My GROSS salary, after the University covers the COST of my contact, is around 3.700€, and my NET, after my individual taxes, is around 3.100€.
~23% emploer and ~11% you so about 34% total for assegno di ricerca.
It is a special contract for universities, it is not considered income, and you pay only social security and no income tax.
Oh! Sorry then...

rahul

Post by rahul » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:23 am

Hello, has anyone started their fellowship recently? Any ideas about the net salary in Italy.

Prosperous

Post by Prosperous » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:17 pm

Anyone knows the take home salary for IIT? With "self-employed" contract

Stuf22

Post by Stuf22 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:22 pm

Anyone starting Marie Curie fellowship in Italy now, who has an idea how the recent reform of university contracts impacts on the type of contracts given to Marie curie fellows? Or, concretely, what type od contract have you stipulated with your host?

In the past it used to be predominantly assegno di ricerca (as spoken about in the previous posts), which won't exist anymore 2023 onwards. the reform moves towards determinate work contracts. At the moment there is a general (not Marie curie specific) transition period and it would be great to exchange with others who are having an Italian host for their upcoming fellowship.

Timbri

Post by Timbri » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:31 pm

Have anyone updates on this topic?

CGN

Post by CGN » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:20 am

Timbri wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:31 pm
Have anyone updates on this topic?
My net salary with mobility and family allowance is 4400 €

CGN

Post by CGN » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:26 am

iteration wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:25 pm
For a single person 3500 euros is plenty, it is basically a full professor salary.
Note that it is 3500 if you can be hired with a no tax contract usually reserved for postdocs (assegno di ricerca). In this case you only have pension deductions of about 34%.
Otherwise, if you are hired as a researcher and need to pay tax on personal income, as far as I know you go down to about 2000-2500. Not good.
I am not sure what you will be offered as a foreigner.

If you also have the family allowance, in the best case you get about 4000 euros.
In a relatively large city in the north, for a family with 2 kids that has to pay rent, 4000 euros are enough to have a reasonably good lifestyle.
A lot of middle class employed couples make about that (or maybe 3k but they own a house).
If your partner has or plans to find a job, then you can live very comfortably.

You can travel around Europe very cheaply with low cost airlines such as ryanair and sleeping in airbnb houses.
Except London, Paris, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and a few others, cost of living is similar or lower than northern Italy so I see no problem with that.
Update 2023: prices have doubled, including rent, groceries, mortgage, utilities, and car fuel.

I have 2 kids, we need to pay the mortgage, the car, the renovation costs, the kindergarten, etc.