MSCA-IF Salary in Italy

Steminist

Re: MSCA-IF Salary in Italy

Post by Steminist » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:10 pm

It also depends on if you are in an institution or university.

IIT does not use assegni contract.

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Steminist wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:10 pm

Aha! That's a piece of important information. I will work for IIT, indeed. One thing I do know is that we will sign a type A contract. Do you what is it about?

Dodo

Post by Dodo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:09 pm

vrcota wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:56 pm
Dodo wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:22 am
With 3500 euros in Italy you live like Cresus.
Cresus, the king? Of course, you are using an idiomatic expression, but it is a strong one, isn't it? Is it that good? Even considering northern Italy?

I am bringing my whole family, including two kids and probably the dog, so I am a bit worried we will have to live very simple lives. On the other hand, we so much want to get to know Europe. I am afraid that will not be exactly possible.

If you guys have any thoughts on that, I would like to know.

Dodo, have you been successful in your application? If so, where are you going to?
Cresus the king of Lidya, yes. He had a pretty good life and was kind of rich. So the expression 'être riche comme Cresus'.

Well, I did not know about your family. You might not live like Cresus to begin with - if your wife is not working - but like a half or quarter Cresus. Not too bad either. That depends also where is your host institution located.

You will probably pay taxes in the range 35-40 %, applied to the living allowance (that also apparently depends on how your salary is paid/split and the local legislation - you'd better check that out).

The above calculations seem correct - so I would except a salary in the range 4000-4200 euros net/take home. You will be fine even with the family, so enjoy Italy plenty !

To answer your question I got the grant for a GF in NZ. I am also struggling to understand how/where to pay my taxes knowing the big discrepancies between the Danish and NZ systems. I mean paying your taxes in Dk (very high rates) and receiving the money based on the country coefficient of NZ (which is low) does not make sense to me ...

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Dodo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:09 pm
vrcota wrote:
Dodo wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:22 am
With 3500 euros in Italy you live like Cresus.
Cresus, the king? Of course, you are using an idiomatic expression, but it is a strong one, isn't it? Is it that good? Even considering northern Italy?

I am bringing my whole family, including two kids and probably the dog, so I am a bit worried we will have to live very simple lives. On the other hand, we so much want to get to know Europe. I am afraid that will not be exactly possible.

Dodo, have you been successful in your application? If so, where are you going to?
Cresus the king of Lidya, yes. He had a pretty good life and was kind of rich. So the expression 'être riche comme Cresus'.

Well, I did not know about your family. You might not live like Cresus to begin with - if your wife is not working - but like a half or quarter Cresus. Not too bad either. That depends also where is your host institution located.

You will probably pay taxes in the range 35-40 %, applied to the living allowance (that also apparently depends on how your salary is paid/split and the local legislation - you'd better check that out).

The above calculations seem correct - so I would except a salary in the range 4000-4200 euros net/take home. You will be fine even with the family, so enjoy Italy plenty !

To answer your question I got the grant for a GF in NZ. I am also struggling to understand how/where to pay my taxes knowing the big discrepancies between the Danish and NZ systems. I mean paying your taxes in Dk (very high rates) and receiving the money based on the country coefficient of NZ (which is low) does not make sense to me ...
Hahahahaha... "half or quarter Cresus" :lol: . I will be fine them. Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this!

BTW, congratulations on your fellowship to NZ! When you have your taxes sorted out, you let us know.

Dodo

Post by Dodo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm

vrcota wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:35 pm
Dodo wrote:
vrcota wrote:

Hahahahaha... "half or quarter Cresus" :lol: . I will be fine them. Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this!

BTW, congratulations on your fellowship to NZ! When you have your taxes sorted out, you let us know.
Congrats to you too well done ! which panel are you and where are you from ?

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Dodo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm
vrcota wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:35 pm
Dodo wrote:

Congrats to you too well done ! which panel are you and where are you from ?
Thanks!

I am from Brazil and I am in the ST-LIF panel. I am so happy about this because we had a really high threshold: ~94/100. I will have to work a lot to deserve it :shock: :lol:

omari

Post by omari » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:41 pm

One thing that sometimes causes confusion is the EMPLOYER taxes and social secuirity. This is mostly covered through the grant also (depending on different country laws etc) which then pushes the gross salary lower than the standard numbers in the EC guideline.
To avoid any surprises, you should account for both EMPLOYER and EMPLOYEE deductions, if any or find directly a MC fellow in the country to ask ;)

Steminist

Post by Steminist » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 pm

Last edited by Steminist on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HSK00

Post by HSK00 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Steminist wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 pm
vrcota wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm
Steminist wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:10 pm

Aha! That's a piece of important information. I will work for IIT, indeed. One thing I do know is that we will sign a type A contract. Do you what is it about?
Type A? Are you sure? Because Type A is a researcher contract in university. You applied with IIT or with uni? It depends on where you will be employed. Because if you are employed by IIT, you will be a collaborative researcher and you will pay min 33% of taxes. First they take around 1000 euros from your salary as employer's tax and later you pay another taxes. But IIT is using a "brain return" system for foreigners so in the end after -1000, you will pay %10 taxes only, which is quite good.
For universities, it's completely less, only %10 of tax without employer's taxes and you will be rich :)
If you are in another place (like a company, hospital, etc), it will be super less (employer's tax + a lot of taxes again) and you can not complain because it's the national rules.
Hope it's clear.

Thank you very much!
The situation is much clearer.
Additional question, Net salary in University will be the same in the same country?
Thank you for everyone.

Steminist

Post by Steminist » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:33 pm

HSK00 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm
Steminist wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 pm
vrcota wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Type A? Are you sure? Because Type A is a researcher contract in university. You applied with IIT or with uni? It depends on where you will be employed. Because if you are employed by IIT, you will be a collaborative researcher and you will pay min 33% of taxes. First they take around 1000 euros from your salary as employer's tax and later you pay another taxes. But IIT is using a "brain return" system for foreigners so in the end after -1000, you will pay %10 taxes only, which is quite good.
For universities, it's completely less, only %10 of tax without employer's taxes and you will be rich :)
If you are in another place (like a company, hospital, etc), it will be super less (employer's tax + a lot of taxes again) and you can not complain because it's the national rules.
Hope it's clear.

Thank you very much!
The situation is much clearer.
Additional question, Net salary in University will be the same in the same country?
Thank you for everyone.
If you university is experienced with MSCA yes =) If it's not, welcome to Italy =)