2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

horizon

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by horizon » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:46 pm

I am pretty sure none of us have waited for Monday so eagerly ever in our life ;)
Attachments
68avep.jpg
68avep.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:48 pm

Topsyturvy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:44 pm
dw2022 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:28 pm
MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:24 pm

Can you just tell us whether your NCP is from a country with lots of applicants or not so many?
I guess „widening grant“ means one of the widening country?
Hey, yes, sorry, was just calling my husband, lots of screaming :). Widening is for the widening country and the number of applicants is medium. ;) Sorry can't say more.
that's fine, now go celebrate!!!

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:48 pm

So this experience has me revaluating my life choices... I am in my 40s, living on rent, no car, counting pennies by the end of the month... begging for discounts on conferences... I look around and see my peers from undergrad that went into the industry with their well-organized financial lives...

So, by September I decided to give it a shot and started looking for a prospective supervisor in Europe, hoping for a change in my career and stability. I found this host, they were very gracious. I intended to apply for an international mobility fellowship from my home country. In our interview, the host asked me if I´d be interested in applying for MSCA, but they told me the deadline was very tight. At this point, I had never heard about MSCA before. I started working on my proposal in mid-September. It was very difficult, different from any other proposal I had ever written (which are not many). The hosty could not send me any successful application, but they send me an unseusscefull one, with the evaluation comments, to guide me as to what not to do. At the time, I was on vacation, so I was working around the clock, sending texts to them every two or three days, they would make comments and corrections within hours. The international office in the host was superb, helping me with the bureaucratic aspects, even reading through the whole thing and giving me pointers.

So, I have been holding to this chance as my last straw of hope to turn my career and my life around, but since joining this forum I realized what a big shot it is, and it requires a long time of preparation...

horizon

Post by horizon » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:52 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:48 pm
So this experience has me revaluating my life choices... I am in my 40s, living on rent, no car, counting pennies by the end of the month... begging for discounts on conferences... I look around and see my peers from undergrad that went into the industry with their well-organized financial lives...

So, by September I decided to give it a shot and started looking for a prospective supervisor in Europe, hoping for a change in my career and stability. I found this host, they were very gracious. I intended to apply for an international mobility fellowship from my home country. In our interview, the host asked me if I´d be interested in applying for MSCA, but they told me the deadline was very tight. At this point, I had never heard about MSCA before. I started working on my proposal in mid-September. It was very difficult, different from any other proposal I had ever written (which are not many). The hosty could not send me any successful application, but they send me an unseusscefull one, with the evaluation comments, to guide me as to what not to do. At the time, I was on vacation, so I was working around the clock, sending texts to them every two or three days, they would make comments and corrections within hours. The international office in the host was superb, helping me with the bureaucratic aspects, even reading through the whole thing and giving me pointers.

So, I have been holding to this chance as my last straw of hope to turn my career and my life around, but since joining this forum I realized what a big shot it is, and it requires a long time of preparation...
Maybe this would be the turning point in your life and career. They have a saying in my country back home, 'The world conspires to deliver you what you have worked for and deserve'

Post by 2021 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:55 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Topsyturvy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:44 pm
dw2022 wrote:

Hey, yes, sorry, was just calling my husband, lots of screaming :). Widening is for the widening country and the number of applicants is medium. ;) Sorry can't say more.
that's fine, now go celebrate!!!
R u sure? Widening or Reintegration option is for this call??

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:57 pm

horizon wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:52 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:

Maybe this would be the turning point in your life and career. They have a saying in my country back home, 'The world conspires to deliver you what you have worked for and deserve'
I sure hope so, my friend! I love what I do, but it´s hard to live for so long in this instability... I use to tell my friends that I am a "professional beggar", always begging for discounts on conferences, for samples from vendors...always begging for something...hahahahahah

loosen_up

Post by loosen_up » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:

Would having a part-time job on the side help with the money situation? I am the same... I applied for so many grants and I got rejected so many times - it is tough in the research world. But I got a few well-paying part-time jobs on the side and it's been okay. This is also helping me explore what jobs I may like if academia doesn't work out (which I really hope it does, but it's such a crapshoot nowadays).

karbonnom

Post by karbonnom » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:16 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:57 pm
horizon wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:52 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:

I sure hope so, my friend! I love what I do, but it´s hard to live for so long in this instability... I use to tell my friends that I am a "professional beggar", always begging for discounts on conferences, for samples from vendors...always begging for something...hahahahahah
I really hope you get it. In any case, if it would help, here's a list of fellowships worldwide: https://asntech.github.io/postdoc-funding-schemes/
I remember when I was working as a researcher in my home country (developing), I would barely make it til the end of the month... I went to Europe after that. So hopefully, it works out for you too.

dw2022

Post by dw2022 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:17 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:

Life is a binary choice!
Yesterday, I submitted two applications for researcher positions in industry.

Topsyturvy

Post by Topsyturvy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:33 pm
dw2022 wrote:
MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:24 pm

Can you just tell us whether your NCP is from a country with lots of applicants or not so many?
ah good thinking... so not one of the "big" ones (mine is Spain). I looked them up : Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Republic of North Macedonia, Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. Yey, widening countries !! :)
Was a European widening country so not one of those.