2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Steminist

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by Steminist » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:30 pm

Topsyturvy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm
MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:33 pm
dw2022 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:28 pm

I guess „widening grant“ means one of the widening country?
ah good thinking... so not one of the "big" ones (mine is Spain). I looked them up : Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Republic of North Macedonia, Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. Yey, widening countries !! :)
Was a European widening country so not one of those.
So portugal 😅

dw2022

Post by dw2022 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:32 pm

Steminist wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:30 pm
Topsyturvy wrote:
MSCCCCCC wrote:

ah good thinking... so not one of the "big" ones (mine is Spain). I looked them up : Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Republic of North Macedonia, Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. Yey, widening countries !! :)
So portugal 😅
I just found out so, too!
https://sciencebusiness.net/news-byte/h ... ellowships

Yao

Post by Yao » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:33 pm

horizon wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:46 pm
I am pretty sure none of us have waited for Monday so eagerly ever in our life ;)
It's true! :D

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm

loosen_up wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:05 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:48 pm
So this experience has me revaluating my life choices... I am in my 40s, living on rent, no car, counting pennies by the end of the month... begging for discounts on conferences... I look around and see my peers from undergrad that went into the industry with their well-organized financial lives...

So, by September I decided to give it a shot and started looking for a prospective supervisor in Europe, hoping for a change in my career and stability. I found this host, they were very gracious. I intended to apply for an international mobility fellowship from my home country. In our interview, the host asked me if I´d be interested in applying for MSCA, but they told me the deadline was very tight. At this point, I had never heard about MSCA before. I started working on my proposal in mid-September. It was very difficult, different from any other proposal I had ever written (which are not many). The hosty could not send me any successful application, but they send me an unseusscefull one, with the evaluation comments, to guide me as to what not to do. At the time, I was on vacation, so I was working around the clock, sending texts to them every two or three days, they would make comments and corrections within hours. The international office in the host was superb, helping me with the bureaucratic aspects, even reading through the whole thing and giving me pointers.

So, I have been holding to this chance as my last straw of hope to turn my career and my life around, but since joining this forum I realized what a big shot it is, and it requires a long time of preparation...
Would having a part-time job on the side help with the money situation? I am the same... I applied for so many grants and I got rejected so many times - it is tough in the research world. But I got a few well-paying part-time jobs on the side and it's been okay. This is also helping me explore what jobs I may like if academia doesn't work out (which I really hope it does, but it's such a crapshoot nowadays).
I have a job, but my country's situation for research is very precarious. I've been thinking to get a foot abroad to try my chances... But yes, I've done a handful of odd jobs in my life... And I don't know about you guys,but here in my country when you say you're a postdoc people ask you "so you don't work, just studying" hahahhahahaba

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm

karbonnom wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:16 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:57 pm
horizon wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:52 pm

Maybe this would be the turning point in your life and career. They have a saying in my country back home, 'The world conspires to deliver you what you have worked for and deserve'
Thanks a bunch, my friend. I will search this link
I sure hope so, my friend! I love what I do, but it´s hard to live for so long in this instability... I use to tell my friends that I am a "professional beggar", always begging for discounts on conferences, for samples from vendors...always begging for something...hahahahahah
I really hope you get it. In any case, if it would help, here's a list of fellowships worldwide: https://asntech.github.io/postdoc-funding-schemes/
I remember when I was working as a researcher in my home country (developing), I would barely make it til the end of the month... I went to Europe after that. So hopefully, it works out for you too.

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:39 pm

dw2022 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:17 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
So this experience has me revaluating my life choices... I am in my 40s, living on rent, no car, counting pennies by the end of the month... begging for discounts on conferences... I look around and see my peers from undergrad that went into the industry with their well-organized financial lives...

So, by September I decided to give it a shot and started looking for a prospective supervisor in Europe, hoping for a change in my career and stability. I found this host, they were very gracious. I intended to apply for an international mobility fellowship from my home country. In our interview, the host asked me if I´d be interested in applying for MSCA, but they told me the deadline was very tight. At this point, I had never heard about MSCA before. I started working on my proposal in mid-September. It was very difficult, different from any other proposal I had ever written (which are not many). The hosty could not send me any successful application, but they send me an unseusscefull one, with the evaluation comments, to guide me as to what not to do. At the time, I was on vacation, so I was working around the clock, sending texts to them every two or three days, they would make comments and corrections within hours. The international office in the host was superb, helping me with the bureaucratic aspects, even reading through the whole thing and giving me pointers.

So, I have been holding to this chance as my last straw of hope to turn my career and my life around, but since joining this forum I realized what a big shot it is, and it requires a long time of preparation...
Life is a binary choice!
Yesterday, I submitted two applications for researcher positions in industry.
It is indeed, my friend!
As for me, I think I'll go into working with plants and veggies if it all doesn't work...hahahhahahaa

JASON_LIU

Post by JASON_LIU » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:39 pm

Hello all the friends! I want to know that how many friends are the status of proposal with 'RANKING' via the previous methods. But I also know that some applications are still ''Evaluation''. How about you? Do you know who have counted them? Which one is better?:D :D :D

beymsca

Post by beymsca » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:40 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm
loosen_up wrote:
Cr@zyChem wrote:

Would having a part-time job on the side help with the money situation? I am the same... I applied for so many grants and I got rejected so many times - it is tough in the research world. But I got a few well-paying part-time jobs on the side and it's been okay. This is also helping me explore what jobs I may like if academia doesn't work out (which I really hope it does, but it's such a crapshoot nowadays).
I have a job, but my country's situation for research is very precarious. I've been thinking to get a foot abroad to try my chances... But yes, I've done a handful of odd jobs in my life... And I don't know about you guys,but here in my country when you say you're a postdoc people ask you "so you don't work, just studying" hahahhahahaba
It sounds like Brazil.

cgchem

Post by cgchem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:49 pm

beymsca wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:40 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm
loosen_up wrote:

It sounds like Brazil.
it sure does

CatTaotao

Post by CatTaotao » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:55 pm

Steminist wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:30 pm
Topsyturvy wrote:
MSCCCCCC wrote:

So portugal 😅
I sent an email to the Portuguese NCP. Although my host is not from Portugal but currently I am in Portugal.

Let's see if he replies.