2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Fu Manchu

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by Fu Manchu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:13 pm

beymsca wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:40 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm
loosen_up wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Would having a part-time job on the side help with the money situation? I am the same... I applied for so many grants and I got rejected so many times - it is tough in the research world. But I got a few well-paying part-time jobs on the side and it's been okay. This is also helping me explore what jobs I may like if academia doesn't work out (which I really hope it does, but it's such a crapshoot nowadays).
I have a job, but my country's situation for research is very precarious. I've been thinking to get a foot abroad to try my chances... But yes, I've done a handful of odd jobs in my life... And I don't know about you guys,but here in my country when you say you're a postdoc people ask you "so you don't work, just studying" hahahhahahaba
It sounds like Brazil.
We are all f#%& here in Brazil. I am teaching in a public school in which I earn less 3 dollars per hour, just to have some dignity :lol: . I have a PhD from a prestigious UK university and even an international prize, but people just dont understand academia as "real work" in here.

Btw, did anyone apply to the SNSF Horizon in Switzerland? Basically it was the same application - project size, duration of the fellowship, and even templates - as MSCA. I tried it, but I dont have any idea in relation to how many people will be funded. People who tried MSCA this year should take a look at this scheme. You probably have 90% of the application ready.
Last edited by Fu Manchu on Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:23 pm

Steminist wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:30 pm
Topsyturvy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm
MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:33 pm

ah good thinking... so not one of the "big" ones (mine is Spain). I looked them up : Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Republic of North Macedonia, Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. Yey, widening countries !! :)
Was a European widening country so not one of those.
So portugal 😅
In case topsy-turvy is still around (though you probably have better things to do now ha ha) - could you tell us if there are any changes on the portal for you? that way maybe we could get some hints...

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:25 pm

beymsca wrote:
Cr@zyChem wrote:
loosen_up wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Would having a part-time job on the side help with the money situation? I am the same... I applied for so many grants and I got rejected so many times - it is tough in the research world. But I got a few well-paying part-time jobs on the side and it's been okay. This is also helping me explore what jobs I may like if academia doesn't work out (which I really hope it does, but it's such a crapshoot nowadays).
I have a job, but my country's situation for research is very precarious. I've been thinking to get a foot abroad to try my chances... But yes, I've done a handful of odd jobs in my life... And I don't know about you guys,but here in my country when you say you're a postdoc people ask you "so you don't work, just studying" hahahhahahaba
It sounds like Brazil.
Right? Hahahhahahaha

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:29 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:13 pm
beymsca wrote:
Cr@zyChem wrote:

It sounds like Brazil.
We are all f#%& here in Brazil. I am teaching in a public school in which I earn less 3 dollars per hour, just to have some dignity :lol: . I have a PhD from a prestigious UK university and even an international prize, but people just dont understand academia as "real work" in here.

Btw, did anyone apply to the SNSF Horizon in Switzerland? Basically it was the same application - project size, durante of the fellowship, and even templates - as MSCA. I tried it, but I dont have any idea in relation to how many people will be funded. People who tried MSCA this year should take a look at this scheme. You probably have 90% of the application ready.
We are big time screwed in green and yellow, as we say! Hahahahahaha
I haven't applied to anything else abroad. Honestly, I am not familiar with these opportunities, so this forum has also been of great help to get me familiar with the opportunities for fellowship s abroad. I was thinking of trying Fapesp if MSCA doesn't work (which is also quite difficult to get), but I'd much prefer to have an international fellowship if I am able to get one... Just to get my foot out of the door, you know?!

dw2022

Post by dw2022 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:41 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:29 pm
Fu Manchu wrote:
beymsca wrote:

It sounds like Brazil.

Btw, did anyone apply to the SNSF Horizon in Switzerland? Basically it was the same application - project size, durante of the fellowship, and even templates - as MSCA. I tried it, but I dont have any idea in relation to how many people will be funded. People who tried MSCA this year should take a look at this scheme. You probably have 90% of the application ready.
I haven't applied to anything else abroad. Honestly, I am not familiar with these opportunities, so this forum has also been of great help to get me familiar with the opportunities for fellowship s abroad. I was thinking of trying Fapesp if MSCA doesn't work (which is also quite difficult to get), but I'd much prefer to have an international fellowship if I am able to get one... Just to get my foot out of the door, you know?!
You can also consider applying for postdoc positions in the EU if spotting anything interesting, not necessarily to chase for fellowships.
My partner, who is a poorly paid junior PI, recruited a postdoc from your neighboring country a few years ago and she has recently gotten a permanent engineer position in the institute (kinda settled down in EU together with her family).
Last edited by dw2022 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnotherCandidate

Post by AnotherCandidate » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:43 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:29 pm
Fu Manchu wrote:
beymsca wrote:

It sounds like Brazil.

If you're not against going to Japan for a Postdoc, you can apply to this grant :

https://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-ippan/ ... lines.html

Actually, I began writing my MSCA project in September for a GF in Japan, and I found this grant while writing it. This grant is much simpler and quicker to prepare than the MSCA one. Since I applied to GF in Japan, I applied to this grant by using what I wrote in my MSCA project. And I actually got this grant few weeks ago.

So I'm just putting it here if it can help someone :)

(PS : it is advised to apply for a lab either in Tokyo University or in Kyoto university)

Topsyturvy

Post by Topsyturvy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:58 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:23 pm
Steminist wrote:
Topsyturvy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm

Was a European widening country so not one of those.
So portugal 😅
In case topsy-turvy is still around (though you probably have better things to do now ha ha) - could you tell us if there are any changes on the portal for you? that way maybe we could get some hints...
Nothing obvious seems to have changed for me on either the platform or the magic link.

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:04 pm

Topsyturvy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:58 pm
MSCCCCCC wrote:
Steminist wrote:

So portugal 😅
Nothing obvious seems to have changed for me on either the platform or the magic link.
ok merci!! or should I say... obrigada ;)

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:06 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:04 pm
Topsyturvy wrote:
MSCCCCCC wrote:

btw, another Brazilian here... but living in Europe. I really admire those who are doing research in Brazil, you guys are hero!! (but yes, try to get out ASAP, things are much easier for research on this side of the Atlantic right now!!).

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:07 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:06 pm
MSCCCCCC wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:04 pm
Topsyturvy wrote:

btw, another Brazilian here... but living in Europe. I really admire those who are doing research in Brazil, you guys are hero!! (but yes, try to get out ASAP, things are much easier for research on this side of the Atlantic right now!!).
oops I didn't mean that I thought topsy-turvy is Brazilian, it's just bc I said obrigada (which also gives away my gender ;) and I thought of all the Brazilians writing here...