2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

AnotherCandidate

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by AnotherCandidate » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:19 pm

anonymous_insider wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 pm
AnotherCandidate wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:55 pm
horizon wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 pm

Why? Why will you have to renounce the MSCA?
I applied for a backup postdoc because my current one is ending, but they are asking me to sign this week... I will try to make things go slowly, but I hope MSCA won't send the results on March 31st
Oh, I see. That's a tough decision to make because if you first sign and then resign you might lose your credibility. I stand by you. As a PI, I have unfortunately faced similar situations. Namely, people resigning even the day before the contract start date, and I got to know only because I asked if everything was OK... UGH.
But I also understand that we need to follow our vision. I've been there as well. At some point in my life (actually, more than once) I said to myself that even if I had made arrangements or even agreements, no one can dictate what I can do; it's about my freedom and my career. But in those occasions there was a lot of manipulation, so of course eventually I couldn't care less of being fair toward certain people... :mrgreen:
I don't know about your situation, so all I say might be just bla bla bla. I just wanted to let you know that I empathize with you as I've been on both sides (prospective fellow and prospective supervisor). And either way, it's always about your career (taking up or renouncing a fellowship or a position).
One lesson I have learned is that being honest can pay off a lot, but on the other hand can bring a lot of troubles. Have you spoken with your prospective supervisor about your MSCA?

Thank you for your message :)

I told the supervisor about it but since the money is provided by another institute who is in between. The prospective supervisor understands that I take the MSCA if I have it, but it's the institute in between taking care of the grant which is putting pressure on me and they are not so much receptive about me want to wait for MSCA.

I will try to play dead for as much as possible ;)

AnotherCandidate

Post by AnotherCandidate » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:19 pm

michelef wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:05 pm
AnotherCandidate wrote:
horizon wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 pm

Why? Why will you have to renounce the MSCA?
I applied for a backup postdoc because my current one is ending, but they are asking me to sign this week... I will try to make things go slowly, but I hope MSCA won't send the results on March 31st
I was in the exact same situation in 2019, got a postdoc before the results of the msca and needed to either accept it or decline the position... But then luckily we got the results and I could declined the extra postdoc position... but the pressure was really unbearable every day it passed without getting the msca results...

Thank you for you message, I cross fingers that we will get the results soon...

anonymous_insider

Post by anonymous_insider » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:24 pm

AnotherCandidate wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:19 pm
anonymous_insider wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 pm
AnotherCandidate wrote:

Oh, I see. That's a tough decision to make because if you first sign and then resign you might lose your credibility. I stand by you. As a PI, I have unfortunately faced similar situations. Namely, people resigning even the day before the contract start date, and I got to know only because I asked if everything was OK... UGH.
But I also understand that we need to follow our vision. I've been there as well. At some point in my life (actually, more than once) I said to myself that even if I had made arrangements or even agreements, no one can dictate what I can do; it's about my freedom and my career. But in those occasions there was a lot of manipulation, so of course eventually I couldn't care less of being fair toward certain people... :mrgreen:
I don't know about your situation, so all I say might be just bla bla bla. I just wanted to let you know that I empathize with you as I've been on both sides (prospective fellow and prospective supervisor). And either way, it's always about your career (taking up or renouncing a fellowship or a position).
One lesson I have learned is that being honest can pay off a lot, but on the other hand can bring a lot of troubles. Have you spoken with your prospective supervisor about your MSCA?

Thank you for your message :)

I told the supervisor about it but since the money is provided by another institute who is in between. The prospective supervisor understands that I take the MSCA if I have it, but it's the institute in between taking care of the grant which is putting pressure on me and they are not so much receptive about me want to wait for MSCA.

I will try to play dead for as much as possible ;)
Yes, play dead, that's a good strategy. If they are after you is because they really need a figure like you. At least, this is how I behave with candidates with a great potential.
SUPER Good luck!!!

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:17 pm

I asked a friend of mine to monitor #MSCA on Twitter for me. He said people are starting to make some noise! It's good to pressure them for some position...

michelef

Post by michelef » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:24 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:17 pm
I asked a friend of mine to monitor #MSCA on Twitter for me. He said people are starting to make some noise! It's good to pressure them for some position...
Let's hope they don't just keep ignoring us...

michelef

Post by michelef » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:29 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
Anyway at this point it's too late to get any reply I guess... I don't think the social media staff of the EC would work after usual office hours

karbonnom

Post by karbonnom » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:45 pm

michelef wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:29 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Anyway at this point it's too late to get any reply I guess... I don't think the social media staff of the EC would work after usual office hours
There's some people making noise but not directly tagging MSCA. I just tweeted and tagged MSCActions because why not? They should not put a date on the portal if they would not follow through.

pkourtes

Post by pkourtes » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 pm

Tagged (MSCA, REA, Pr. of REA, and EU Commission) Tweet here : https://twitter.com/kesaat_gr/status/15 ... 4331626497
You may like and/or RT to make some noise. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

michelef

Post by michelef » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:15 pm

pkourtes wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 pm
Tagged (MSCA, REA, Pr. of REA, and EU Commission) Tweet here : https://twitter.com/kesaat_gr/status/15 ... 4331626497
Great, that's good

karbonnom

Post by karbonnom » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:25 pm

pkourtes wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 pm
I RT-ed!!!