2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

ririanna

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by ririanna » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:54 am

Serendipity wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:20 am
Hi everyone,

Just to change a small poll while waiting for the results, would you prefer to have a msca grant or a first author publication in a high level journal (nature, science, cell...)?
I suppose it depends on your goals and discipline. I remember someone on here saying that the msca doesn't significantly increase their chances of getting a permanent academic position and that a high impact publication would matter more in their CV. But I don't see why you can't do both because surely you'd want to produce a high impact paper during your msca? That's definitely what I'm aiming for anyway. The msca would give me a chance to get a break from all the admin and teaching duties to focus more on research, writing, disseminating and networking and boost my publications.

MSCA20

Post by MSCA20 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:19 pm

On Wednesday, March 9th, the EC sent the official notification email to the successful candidate for the ERC cog 2021 call. Comparing to that call, I suppose msca received a high number of proposals; so they will most likely begin sending by tomorrow in order to complete the notification emails by Friday. Best of luck to everyone!

MSCA20

Post by MSCA20 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:25 pm

I hope not all the proposals were written by the best scholars in Europe. They are quite number of worst universities in EU and they are also eligible to apply I suppose. Including my university were I carried out my phD. :roll: :lol:
Interstellar wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:31 am
The truth is that most of the projects are made by scholars who have an excellent curriculum and are among the best researchers in Europe in the various disciplines. This very high level turns this competition into a stroke of luck. The one who finds the referees who like the project wins, the project can be written even worse than another.
Another problem, but it can't be otherwise, is that referees know who you are. At least in SOC this means that if you find a referee who disagrees with your work idea or what you do, he destroys your project, and that is wrong.
Last year they gave me two very favorable opinions. One of the referees was completely against it, and in order to lower it as much as he could he wrote false things (like that I had not described some things that were well listed), and in fact I bring the action. Was it served? No. Did it give Me satisfaction? Yes :mrgreen: .

mekemeke

Post by mekemeke » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:37 pm

The paper. It would help with a permanent position. Published in PNAS a few months ago (not counted for the MSCA application because was after). Still that paper hasn't helped me with other applications 😂 it's crazy out there, guys! MSCA would be absolutely amazing and it would also help a LOT!

But unfortunately I think a high impact paper would increase our chances more than any grant (except if it it a junior ERC).
:shock:
Serendipity wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:20 am
Hi everyone,

Just to change a small poll while waiting for the results, would you prefer to have a msca grant or a first author publication in a high level journal (nature, science, cell...)?

Interstellar

Post by Interstellar » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:19 pm

most of.....
MSCA20 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:25 pm
I hope not all the proposals were written by the best scholars in Europe. They are quite number of worst universities in EU and they are also eligible to apply I suppose. Including my university were I carried out my phD. :roll: :lol:
Interstellar wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:31 am
The truth is that most of the projects are made by scholars who have an excellent curriculum and are among the best researchers in Europe in the various disciplines. This very high level turns this competition into a stroke of luck. The one who finds the referees who like the project wins, the project can be written even worse than another.
Another problem, but it can't be otherwise, is that referees know who you are. At least in SOC this means that if you find a referee who disagrees with your work idea or what you do, he destroys your project, and that is wrong.
Last year they gave me two very favorable opinions. One of the referees was completely against it, and in order to lower it as much as he could he wrote false things (like that I had not described some things that were well listed), and in fact I bring the action. Was it served? No. Did it give Me satisfaction? Yes :mrgreen: .

Frydendahl

Post by Frydendahl » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:29 pm

Don't something like 50% of ERC starter grant recipients have a MSCA? I already have a few nice papers, the MSCA however would prove to an eventual employer for a permanent position at a university that I know how to navigate the EU funding scheme jungle.

Msca21

Post by Msca21 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:51 pm

I’m sure worst universities are eligible but not so popular as host institutions, as this is one of the most important aspect to be evaluated. One of the main problem of MSCA evaluation process is the total casualty of everything: if evaluators know your kind of work research topics etc they may rightly judge you and your project. If they don’t, it is not their fault, but yours, and you loose. In my field I saw some strange weird awful projects without any scientific basis being victorious and others so innovative written by colleagues with huge experience almost not considered. And the only possible reason is that the way EC choose its reviewers is casualty. So, in my opinion, maybe it would be not time to ask EC to review not our proposals, but its entire peer review process.
Interstellar wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:19 pm
most of.....

[quote=MSCA20 post_id=19628 time=<a href="tel:1647779141">1647779141</a> user_id=1807]

[quote=Interstellar post_id=19614 time=<a href="tel:1647757899">1647757899</a> user_id=1596]
[/quote]
[/quote]

michelef

Post by michelef » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:03 pm

Frydendahl wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:29 pm
Don't something like 50% of ERC starter grant recipients have a MSCA? I already have a few nice papers, the MSCA however would prove to an eventual employer for a permanent position at a university that I know how to navigate the EU funding scheme jungle.
In my experience with the ERC-stg (rejected) my previous msca fellowship was noted by some reviewers as a positive thing, but by others as "only little evidence for the ability to attract independent funding." In the absence of any other grants, it's probably better to have it rather than not, but it is still a postdoctoral grant, not an actual PI-level grant, which is what institutions want when evaluating a candidate for a PI position

fique86

Post by fique86 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:18 pm

So, a new week is coming, and with it, something that we have all been anxiously waiting for. All the best guys. I really truly hope all of us win the fellowship.

horizon

Post by horizon » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:35 pm

Some person posted on the FB group, the 'magic link' and asked for their opinion. Its hilarious to read the replies since they are going through the crash course cycle which we have been going through for weeks now :lol: :lol: :lol: