2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

horizon

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by horizon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:54 pm

AnotherCandidate wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:41 pm
horizon wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:39 pm
sparklingabc wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, doesn't the budget exclude fellowships in the UK while the total number of applicants (7500) includes those planning to conduct research in the UK? I read a post by a forum member that the UK will fund the winners separately. Given that the UK is the single most popular host country, doesn't that explain the budget reduction for the MSCA this year?

Or maybe I completely misinterpreted everything. :lol:
I thought of you the moment I saw this message :D :twisted:
You feel my pain true friend

horizon

Post by horizon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:00 pm

sparklingabc wrote:
michelef wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:03 pm
horizon wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:45 pm

But the number of applicants went down from last year isnt it. Its in 7500 or something for the European fellowship. I think its 30% lesser than last year but so has the funding amount decreased by the same margin
Yes indeed, the number of applicants decreased sharply... But I don't think this is due to the 8 years cutoff, 30% is a large number to be only applicants with more than 8 years after the phd. I remember I saw some statistics showing that the majority of applications are from people with a few years after phd... But I can't remember exactly where I saw that, so I may be wrong.

ERC grants also had much less budget in the first year of Horizon Europe, but it will be increased in the following years, so I hope they will also increase the msca budget and that applications remains fewer as in this call
Correct me if I'm wrong. But, doesn't the budget exclude fellowships in the UK while the total number of applicants (7500) includes those planning to conduct research in the UK? I read a post by a forum member that the UK will fund the winners separately. Given that the UK is the single most popular host country, doesn't that explain the budget reduction for the MSCA this year?

Attachments
68idn4.jpeg
68idn4.jpeg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 2008 times

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:01 pm

michelef wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:48 pm
sparklingabc wrote:
michelef wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:03 pm

Yes indeed, the number of applicants decreased sharply... But I don't think this is due to the 8 years cutoff, 30% is a large number to be only applicants with more than 8 years after the phd. I remember I saw some statistics showing that the majority of applications are from people with a few years after phd... But I can't remember exactly where I saw that, so I may be wrong.

ERC grants also had much less budget in the first year of Horizon Europe, but it will be increased in the following years, so I hope they will also increase the msca budget and that applications remains fewer as in this call

UK is still an associated country, so I think the overall budget includes grants to the UK.
To my understanding, each associated country pays some operational costs to the EU, which then pays the grants.
Directly from the official EU site …
As the first funding calls under Horizon Europe are launched, the new Q&A-style document confirms that UK applicants are already eligible to apply. The United Kingdom will therefore have the same rights and obligations, including financial, as other Horizon Europe associated countries.

This means that UK researchers and entities including universities, research centres, innovative businesses and industry, will have full rights to participate in the first calls for proposals under the Horizon Europe Framework Programme

michelef

Post by michelef » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:11 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:01 pm
michelef wrote:
sparklingabc wrote:

UK is still an associated country, so I think the overall budget includes grants to the UK.
To my understanding, each associated country pays some operational costs to the EU, which then pays the grants.
As the first funding calls under Horizon Europe are launched, the new Q&A-style document confirms that UK applicants are already eligible to apply. The United Kingdom will therefore have the same rights and obligations, including financial, as other Horizon Europe associated countries.

This means that UK researchers and entities including universities, research centres, innovative businesses and industry, will have full rights to participate in the first calls for proposals under the Horizon Europe Framework Programme
Indeed

Yao

Post by Yao » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:12 pm

MSCCCCCC wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:01 pm
michelef wrote:
sparklingabc wrote:

although budget decreases, the applicants are also less. I have calculated that the success rate is more or less the same.
MSCA is a challenging fellowship with high reputation, so the low successrate is reasonable. I think most of us are good researchers, and we are able to contribute useful knowledge with the fellowship, but the budget is limited. So, good luck to all.

AnotherCandidate

Post by AnotherCandidate » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Also, if you read the condition for associated countries, if an associated country has too much grants compared to its contribution for the budget, it will have to compensate with extra money.

michelef

Post by michelef » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:37 pm

Just checked again last year's messages and the first to report the EC email was at 5.38am CET

horizon

Post by horizon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:43 pm

michelef wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:37 pm
Just checked again last year's messages and the first to report the EC email was at 5.38am CET
it was a monday, right?

michelef

Post by michelef » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:47 pm

horizon wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:43 pm
michelef wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:37 pm
it was a monday, right?
Yes, on Monday

in the 2019 call instead I saw that the first to report the email was at 1am on a Tuesday

Abz

Post by Abz » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:01 pm

:D looks like it will be a very long night