MSCA GF USA + Spain tax assistance

Johnpojohn

MSCA GF USA + Spain tax assistance

Post by Johnpojohn » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I'm about to sign the contract for my MSCA GF with 2 years in USA and a return year in Spain, and I'm looking for someone who is doing or has done the same combination recently to ask tax-related questions specific to Spain.

Any info on what % of the gross amounts I can expect for the living allowance?

Will the mobility allowance be taxed by the Spanish administration? If so, it is financially advantageous to get it on a monthly basis instead of a lump sum?

Are there any fiscal advantages I can apply to in Spain (e.g. being a non-resident) to pay less taxes?

Basically I'm terrified that the tax total will be so high that I will end up not making enough money, since US rent prices are crazy high :shock:

basanite

Re: MSCA GF USA + Spain tax assistance

Post by basanite » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:36 pm

Apparently, the salary for the GF with the combination High-tax EU country + low-tax-high-cost outgoing country is a blind spot in the salary calculation from the EU.
I am in a similar situation with the combination Australia + Germany. Additionally, I am taking my family with me and my wife very likely won't get a working permit down there. So, I definitely cannot recommend this combination because I won't be enough - at least with family.

Anyway, have a look at this blog:
https://cogtales.wordpress.com/2017/03/ ... al-fellow/
The fellow went to USA and France, and she managed to exclude the mobility allowance from taxation...

Maybe you can convince your Spanish institute. My German University was unfortunately not willing to do that.