MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

FairEnough

Re: MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

Post by FairEnough » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:07 am

Im so optimistic you'll get MSCA Melk, Im serious and not a compliment. And thank you for the wishes dude!!
melk wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 am
Thank you!
MSCA is more prestigious and more interesting financially (mostly due to the family allowance) but I am already happy that there is some backup for my funding.
It’s crazy how in MSCA every 0,1% counts..it’s like 100m race, the difference between participants is so ridiculous but it may determine their whole future. I cross the fingers that you will get the grant at the end!
FairEnough wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:33 am
melk wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:36 pm
Hi FairEnough,
I received the FWO invitation last week. The deadline to confirm the participation in the program after invitation was on April 7th.
I got 94,2 in EF-LIF (the cutoff was 94,4) but for FWO is not really your score that counts but the relative ranking (your final ranking divided by the number of eligible applicants).

NCP is not responding to me neither…

Congratulations Melk!!
In fact my chance is very slim, I got 91.2 % in CHE and cutoff is 92.8%.

Regarding your enquiry, it was stated on FWO website "If the applications on the reserve list are in the end picked up by the European Commission, no other application will be funded by the FWO.".
https://www.fwo.be/en/fellowships-fundi ... llowships/
So i hope you'll get what you like. But, why you prefer MSCA over MSCA-EF-FWO?

jw@cam

Post by jw@cam » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:17 pm

melk wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:40 pm
Thank you jw@cam! Yes, I've accepted the invitation but I hope that, if ever my project will be eventually funded by EC, I could still withdraw from FWO... However, not sure if it's gonna be possible. I asked the FWO what are the rules about that but I didn't get the answer yet.
I cross my fingers that all of you will get funded eventually (either by MSCA or from the alternative sources)!
jw@cam wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:41 pm
melk wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:36 pm
Hi FairEnough,
I received the FWO invitation last week. The deadline to confirm the participation in the program after invitation was on April 7th.
I got 94,2 in EF-LIF (the cutoff was 94,4) but for FWO is not really your score that counts but the relative ranking (your final ranking divided by the number of eligible applicants).

NCP is not responding to me neither…

Congratulations, melk! Have you decided to accept the FWO invitation or continue to wait for the MSCA fellowship? 94.2 seems to be a very promising score with a high rank to get funded off the reserve list in the EF-LIF panel according to the statistics in previous years...
Thank you! Good luck on the MSCA fellowship, melk : ).

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:23 pm

Guys, anything new? :?

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am

Hey, all! Here is something that might be of interest to everyone.

You certainly know by now that the ERC successful applicants based in UK were given the opportunity to move to an EU institution. What's interesting is that an article I read yesterday (https://sciencebusiness.net/news/erc-is ... rs-move-eu) mentioned that:

The ERC says it will replace UK-based researchers who choose not to move to the EU or a Horizon-associated country, but will have to “reach a bit deeper” into the back-up lists. “It’s important to note however that we are not going to fund bad proposals because of this,” the ERC spokesman said.

So it seems that, in ERC's case, the UK-based successful applications are indeed replaced by applications on the back-up lists. Which may also happen in our case, if UK does not associate with Horizon Europe by June 14.

gigi-7

Post by gigi-7 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:25 am

Hi, thanks for sharing this. From the article the UK association with Horizon Europe by June 14 seems quite unlucky. Any news from the MSCA winner with a UK host?

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:05 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am

You certainly know by now that the ERC successful applicants based in UK were given the opportunity to move to an EU institution. What's interesting is that an article I read yesterday (https://sciencebusiness.net/news/erc-is ... rs-move-eu) mentioned that:

The ERC says it will replace UK-based researchers who choose not to move to the EU or a Horizon-associated country, but will have to “reach a bit deeper” into the back-up lists. “It’s important to note however that we are not going to fund bad proposals because of this,” the ERC spokesman said.

So it seems that, in ERC's case, the UK-based successful applications are indeed replaced by applications on the back-up lists. Which may also happen in our case, if UK does not associate with Horizon Europe by June 14.
Hi guys
The UK case is indeed interesting. Yesterday, a UK based colleague told me the UK will join the Horizon program as an associate member – that has been agreed in principle but the details still need to be hammered out – but she thinks they will join.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:19 pm

emancipatedcity wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:05 pm
trina_80 wrote:

Hi guys
The UK case is indeed interesting. Yesterday, a UK based colleague told me the UK will join the Horizon program as an associate member – that has been agreed in principle but the details still need to be hammered out – but she thinks they will join.
Well, yes, alongside the Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA), the UK and EU agreed in principle that the UK would associate to Horizon Europe. However, there are several political disagreements that need to be dealt with before the association is finalized. And several EU officials have made that quite clear. For instance, Mariya Gabriel, research commissioner, said last year that "“Association is a thematic subject, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle it as soon as possible, but transversal issues need to be tackled first" (https://sciencebusiness.net/news/gabrie ... ol-settled)

Issues, among which, most notably the Northern Ireland Protocol. With Boris Johnson just a few days ago refusing to rule out the use of article 16, it is very unlikely that these political issues will be solved soon. In this situation, in my opinion, UK will only finalize its association with Horizon Europe until June 14 if the EU somehow decides to depoliticize the issue. But I doubt that will happen.

In any case, UK-based successful candidates will be financed by UKRI, so at least there's no harm done to them. To us, it might make a big difference and we might end up getting financed after all.
There you go, the much-needed daily dose of optimism. ;)

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:26 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:19 pm
emancipatedcity wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:05 pm
trina_80 wrote:

Hi guys
Well, yes, alongside the Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA), the UK and EU agreed in principle that the UK would associate to Horizon Europe. However, there are several political disagreements that need to be dealt with before the association is finalized. And several EU officials have made that quite clear. For instance, Mariya Gabriel, research commissioner, said last year that "“Association is a thematic subject, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle it as soon as possible, but transversal issues need to be tackled first" (https://sciencebusiness.net/news/gabrie ... ol-settled)

Issues, among which, most notably the Northern Ireland Protocol. With Boris Johnson just a few days ago refusing to rule out the use of article 16, it is very unlikely that these political issues will be solved soon. In this situation, in my opinion, UK will only finalize its association with Horizon Europe until June 14 if the EU somehow decides to depoliticize the issue. But I doubt that will happen.

In any case, UK-based successful candidates will be financed by UKRI, so at least there's no harm done to them. To us, it might make a big difference and we might end up getting financed after all.
There you go, the much-needed daily dose of optimism. ;)
Yes, I read the article and got my daily dose of optimism from it :)

melk

Post by melk » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:06 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I really don't think there are any 'bad' proposals on the back-up list... ERC is already super competitive..
trina_80 wrote:

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:19 pm

melk wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:06 pm
Thanks for sharing!

I really don't think there are any 'bad' proposals on the back-up list... ERC is already super competitive..
trina_80 wrote:

I know, that was exactly my thought. It's a purely political statement in anticipation of what might be said if it comes to that. Otherwise, it's ridiculous. The projects on the reserve list are always within just decimals from those on the main list. There's no "bad" project in sight. But, again, they just had to point that out...