MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

trina_80

Re: MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

Post by trina_80 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:36 am

Speaking of last year's thread on the reserve list, from what I understand last year there were 264 people on the reserve list across all panels. This year there are 586, so more than double. This might mean that they do expect (or at least they know there's a chance) that more people on the reserve list will end up getting funded.

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:39 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:36 am
Speaking of last year's thread on the reserve list, from what I understand last year there were 264 people on the reserve list across all panels. This year there are 586, so more than double. This might mean that they do expect (or at least they know there's a chance) that more people on the reserve list will end up getting funded.
We’ll know something soon….hopefully.

melk

Post by melk » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:35 pm

I also hope there is a chance for some extra funding this year.

In my understanding if UK does not associate to the Horizon program, it will mean that candidates from UK won't be able to sign their grant agreements with EC and people from the reserve list may be funded instead. However, if UK associates they will need to contribute to the Horizon budget, which could also mean more funded projects.. At least I hope it's like this.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:32 am

melk wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:35 pm

In my understanding if UK does not associate to the Horizon program, it will mean that candidates from UK won't be able to sign their grant agreements with EC and people from the reserve list may be funded instead. However, if UK associates they will need to contribute to the Horizon budget, which could also mean more funded projects.. At least I hope it's like this.
You may be right, but I couldn't manage to find enough information, particularly on the latter. I believe, but I'm not sure, that UK has already made some upfront payments. However, these may only cover the costs associated with the actual process of evaluation + other (minor stuff). So I guess that yes, if they do formalize the association with Horizon Europe, they may only then start making the "big payments". But, again, I'm not sure. Many people here function under the assumption that UK has already contributed its share...

melk

Post by melk » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:03 am

https://www.the-guild.eu/blog/uk-and-sw ... ths-a.html

I've found this article saying the budget will increase following UK association but I am still not sure if MSCA budget already included UK potential contribution or not.... This is all so unclear. I guess all we can do is wait...
trina_80 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:32 am
melk wrote:

You may be right, but I couldn't manage to find enough information, particularly on the latter. I believe, but I'm not sure, that UK has already made some upfront payments. However, these may only cover the costs associated with the actual process of evaluation + other (minor stuff). So I guess that yes, if they do formalize the association with Horizon Europe, they may only then start making the "big payments". But, again, I'm not sure. Many people here function under the assumption that UK has already contributed its share...

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:22 am

melk wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:03 am

I've found this article saying the budget will increase following UK association but I am still not sure if MSCA budget already included UK potential contribution or not.... This is all so unclear. I guess all we can do is wait...
trina_80 wrote:
melk wrote:

This is super interesting, thanks for sharing! This is very much in line with what I've also read so far and which indicates that UK has not paid its share yet. So you were most likely right in your initial message in that the budget will be boosted if the UK does associate.

Now, regarding the first "myth" addressed in the article:

"If the Swiss and UK do not associate, there will be more money for researchers from the EU.

False. The budget of €95bn agreed for Horizon Europe will be spent on applicants in EU member states. According to the Horizon Europe regulation, every country that associates pays extra . This means that excluding researchers in Swiss and UK institutions from applying for Horizon Europe (including ERC grants) will not increase the money available to researchers from EU countries. But it will make Horizon funding smaller, and therefore less visible globally, to the detriment of European science. With Swiss and UK contributions, the Horizon Europe budget would increase to almost €120bn: the minimum always demanded by Europe's research and innovation community. But we cannot get there without the UK and Switzerland."

I don't think the author took into consideration situations such as the one we're in now, which, most likely, generated this "myth". MSCA reps have made it clear that if UK does not associate with Horizon Europe by June 14 (the deadline for signing the contracts), the candidates with UK hosts will be considered ineligible. The budget remains, in principle, the same, but more projects with EU hosts will end up being funded. Which, it seems, may also be the case if UK does associate and the budget is then boosted.

I'll just take this as a win-win situation and assume we'll get funded either way and leave it at that for the time being. :?

gigi-7

Post by gigi-7 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:32 am

Thank you for sharing this (and for sharing your optimism trina-80 :D )
Do you guys know if there is a way to have more specific informations about how the reserve list will be influenced from both the UK association scenarios?

melk

Post by melk » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:38 pm

You can try with your NCP but they don't seem to know anything more than we do... I even wonder if there is anyone in the whole EC who knows this stuff... I am starting to think they all act in a 'let' see what will happen" way without having a plan in advance. It would also explain the delay with the announcement of results this year...

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:03 pm

melk wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:38 pm
You can try with your NCP but they don't seem to know anything more than we do... I even wonder if there is anyone in the whole EC who knows this stuff... I am starting to think they all act in a 'let' see what will happen" way without having a plan in advance. It would also explain the delay with the announcement of results this year...
Yeah... Also, even if they do know something, they're reluctant to share it with us. I'm afraid that, unless UK formalizes its association with Horizon Europe sooner or it withdraws altogether (like Switzerland), both scenarios being very unlikely, we'll only know more after June 14. Just a bit over two months to go... :roll:

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:07 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:22 am
melk wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:03 am

trina_80 wrote:

This is super interesting, thanks for sharing! This is very much in line with what I've also read so far and which indicates that UK has not paid its share yet. So you were most likely right in your initial message in that the budget will be boosted if the UK does associate.

Now, regarding the first "myth" addressed in the article:

"If the Swiss and UK do not associate, there will be more money for researchers from the EU.

False. The budget of €95bn agreed for Horizon Europe will be spent on applicants in EU member states. According to the Horizon Europe regulation, every country that associates pays extra . This means that excluding researchers in Swiss and UK institutions from applying for Horizon Europe (including ERC grants) will not increase the money available to researchers from EU countries. But it will make Horizon funding smaller, and therefore less visible globally, to the detriment of European science. With Swiss and UK contributions, the Horizon Europe budget would increase to almost €120bn: the minimum always demanded by Europe's research and innovation community. But we cannot get there without the UK and Switzerland."

I don't think the author took into consideration situations such as the one we're in now, which, most likely, generated this "myth". MSCA reps have made it clear that if UK does not associate with Horizon Europe by June 14 (the deadline for signing the contracts), the candidates with UK hosts will be considered ineligible. The budget remains, in principle, the same, but more projects with EU hosts will end up being funded. Which, it seems, may also be the case if UK does associate and the budget is then boosted.

I'll just take this as a win-win situation and assume we'll get funded either way and leave it at that for the time being. :?
Optimism of trina_80: this is what we need :) Jokes aside, I'm following your posts with great interest. Many thanks for sharing, very useful info.