Re: MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

Post by emancipatedcity » Mon May 16, 2022 12:23 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:17 pm
emancipatedcity wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:05 pm
Hi guys
Did you see this?

"Commission boosts Horizon Europe budget to support green, health and digital innovations and displaced researchers of Ukraine: "https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_22_2843
I did see it, but it does not seem to affect us in any way...
So this is nothing to do with "so-called extra budget" that will enable the Commission to fund more projects on the reserve list?

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:37 pm

emancipatedcity wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:23 pm
trina_80 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:17 pm
emancipatedcity wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:05 pm
Hi guys
Did you see this?

"Commission boosts Horizon Europe budget to support green, health and digital innovations and displaced researchers of Ukraine: "https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_22_2843
I did see it, but it does not seem to affect us in any way...
So this is nothing to do with "so-called extra budget" that will enable the Commission to fund more projects on the reserve list?
Unfortunately, no, at least if I understood the article correctly.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:25 pm

https://twitter.com/RI_NCP_UK/status/15 ... 0074587136

So, yes, the call for UKRI funding for MSCA postdoc fellowships opens on May 31st...

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:15 pm

Guys, you've probably seen that Liz Truss has announced today a new legislation to change parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol. This is expected to be drafted in the following weeks.

Also, EU has released a statement today: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... nt_22_3142 saying, among other things, that "Should the UK decide to move ahead with a bill disapplying constitutive elements of the Protocol as announced today by the UK government, the EU will need to respond with all measures at its disposal."

My take on all this craziness: UK will not finalize its association with the EU anytime soon. At least not until June 14. Nevertheless, I do not expect EU to respond with any measures until the actual legislation has been voted on. What does that mean for us? Well, I, for one, expect that the successful candidates with UK hosts will become ineligible for funding from the EU - most of them will apply, of course, for funding from UKRI, starting May 31st. Does that mean that they will be replaced by candidates on the reserve list? It would make sense to, and that's what it was suggested, but we just don't know.

In an article that appeared today: https://researchprofessionalnews.com/rr ... -suggests/ Maria Leptin, the ERC president said that a miracle was needed for UK to join Horizon. Also, she mentioned that “[UK-based winners] are entitled to transfer elsewhere, but if they leave it too late, they could lose the money,” [...] “If they decide to stay in the UK, we have to find someone from the reserve list to receive the grant, and if that doesn’t happen in time, the money is also gone.” If this is the case for ERC grants (that people from the reserve list are contacted instead), it will probably be the case for MSCA as well.

But I guess we'll just have to wait (almost) one more month and see. I'm hopeful, still, that many of us will get funded, but this has become so tiring... :roll:

If any of you have a better relationship with your NCP, maybe you can find out more. Mine was pretty silent about everything.

Anyway, hang in there, everyone, and let's hope for the best! ;)

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Tue May 17, 2022 4:44 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:15 pm
Guys, you've probably seen that Liz Truss has announced today a new legislation to change parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol. This is expected to be drafted in the following weeks.

Also, EU has released a statement today: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... nt_22_3142 saying, among other things, that "Should the UK decide to move ahead with a bill disapplying constitutive elements of the Protocol as announced today by the UK government, the EU will need to respond with all measures at its disposal."

My take on all this craziness: UK will not finalize its association with the EU anytime soon. At least not until June 14. Nevertheless, I do not expect EU to respond with any measures until the actual legislation has been voted on. What does that mean for us? Well, I, for one, expect that the successful candidates with UK hosts will become ineligible for funding from the EU - most of them will apply, of course, for funding from UKRI, starting May 31st. Does that mean that they will be replaced by candidates on the reserve list? It would make sense to, and that's what it was suggested, but we just don't know.

In an article that appeared today: https://researchprofessionalnews.com/rr ... -suggests/ Maria Leptin, the ERC president said that a miracle was needed for UK to join Horizon. Also, she mentioned that “[UK-based winners] are entitled to transfer elsewhere, but if they leave it too late, they could lose the money,” [...] “If they decide to stay in the UK, we have to find someone from the reserve list to receive the grant, and if that doesn’t happen in time, the money is also gone.” If this is the case for ERC grants (that people from the reserve list are contacted instead), it will probably be the case for MSCA as well.

But I guess we'll just have to wait (almost) one more month and see. I'm hopeful, still, that many of us will get funded, but this has become so tiring... :roll:

If any of you have a better relationship with your NCP, maybe you can find out more. Mine was pretty silent about everything.

Anyway, hang in there, everyone, and let's hope for the best! ;)
Thanks Trina! ERC President's interview is a blast, everyone should read it. I really hope this sentence comes true in a very short of amount of time, and that 2022 will really be our year, guys:
"If this is the case for ERC grants (that people from the reserve list are contacted instead), it will probably be the case for MSCA as well."

roro

Post by roro » Tue May 17, 2022 4:46 pm

What are your thoughts on getting an offer being on the reserve list with a UK host? Or do you think the EU will skip the reserves with a UK host?

melk

Post by melk » Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 pm

If there is no association and people with a UK host won't be funded from the main list, they should be off the reserve list as well

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 pm

roro wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:46 pm
What are your thoughts on getting an offer being on the reserve list with a UK host? Or do you think the EU will skip the reserves with a UK host?
Last edited by emancipatedcity on Wed May 18, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:07 am

roro wrote:
Hi, roro! Unfortunately, if UK does not associate with Horizon until June 14, EU will probably not be able to make any offers to those on the reserve list with UK hosts, as they would become ineligible as well. Unless, of course, you make it to the main list before June 14 (if there are enough dropouts by then), and you can then apply for UKRI funding.
Also, this might be a stretch, but you can try and contact UKRI and ask if they would also finance projects from the reserve list... Who knows? They might be interested to extend the scope a bit.

Kevin90

Post by Kevin90 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:41 am

trina_80 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:07 am
roro wrote:
Hi, roro! Unfortunately, if UK does not associate with Horizon until June 14, EU will probably not be able to make any offers to those on the reserve list with UK hosts, as they would become ineligible as well. Unless, of course, you make it to the main list before June 14 (if there are enough dropouts by then), and you can then apply for UKRI funding.
Also, this might be a stretch, but you can try and contact UKRI and ask if they would also finance projects from the reserve list... Who knows? They might be interested to extend the scope a bit.
My hope is gone if they do like this as my host is in UK.