Net salaries and how to maximize the MSCA income

FairEnough

Re: Net salaries and how to maximize the MSCA income

Post by FairEnough » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:59 am

Hi

I came to know that some host institutes are considering the money that given to MSCA holders as scholarship and not salary. So, the tax will be much much less (sometimes no even taxes!!).

raff

Post by raff » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:36 am

msca-europe22 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:12 pm
Don't you know if we can have any part time job during MSCA?
The grant agreement explicitly says that the recruited researcher must "be working exclusively for the action, unless part-time for professional reasons has been approved".

biju

Post by biju » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 pm

I can talk about UK as European Fellowship. The main issue what I have realised is that the European commission doesn't do micro financing, meaning that they don't get involved/monitor national taxation system (tax, insurance and employer contribution) and also in specific rules set by the university. Here in UK the salary deduction is from a combind renumeration which includes living allowance, mobility allowance and family allowance. I don't know why! we are 4 marie curie fellow (two have joined one year before, all under horizon 2020) in my lab but we all are getting different monthly salary (however at the end as per the European commission we all should be paid same amount of money, atleast I hope so!). Furthermore, I was not paid a single penny for my visa and travel cost by the university, as they say, because I have a global talent visa but other universities in UK fullly reimbursed travel and visa cost to a marie curie fellow even with global talent visa. Also, we in scotland pay slightly higher taxation than those in England and Wales. In summary, with all these variables, we gets approximately 4000 GBP/month in UK. Also, I know one of my friend who was getting only 3300 GBP/month until 23 months, he was finally paid 18,000 GBP at the end (tax will be deducted), which makes sense considering the overall budget.

stellaria

Post by stellaria » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks bifu for that interesting explanation!

Has anyone found any document that clearly describes that the full "researcher contributions" must go to the researcher (excluding tax, pension contributions etc)? My hosts have said "we usually pay our postdocs X so that will be your salary" but I think I should be paid the salary defined in the grant agreement budget (minus tax, pensions etc). The grant agreement itself does not seem sufficiently clear.
It would be good to avoid the situation of bifu's friend who had to be paid £18 000 at the end! (though it is good he was paid eventually)

I found this, with Q16 and Q17 giving a bit of info that exact amounts must be paid, no underpayments allowed ... but it is from 2012. Does anyone know of a newer version?
https://ec.europa.eu/assets/eac/msca/fu ... elines.pdf

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

stellaria

Post by stellaria » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Okay I can answer my own question, I posted too soon!

The annotated grant agreement seems to be key: https://ec.europa.eu/research/participa ... mga_en.pdf
The MSCA IF salary info is on page 486.