Global Fellowship going to the U.S.

mscaif2021

Global Fellowship going to the U.S.

Post by mscaif2021 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:01 am

Hi,

Is there anyone else that is going to the U.S. on a global MSCA? I am currently trying to decide a start date in about 3-4 months from now, but I don't know what is realistic ?

What documents from the Grant Signature should we send to the HR in the Global host so that they can proceed with the J-1 Visa sponsorship?

Moskito

Re: Global Fellowship going to the U.S.

Post by Moskito » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi,
I was granted a GF fellowship in Chemistry between the US and Spain. My situation is a bit different from yours since I am already living in the US. Anyway, I had to pass through the J1 visa process and it is quite fast and not too complicated (at least for EU citizens).
Your US host institution will ask you about your future incomes in the US and proof of health insurance. They might want to review your criminal record. When they will have reviewed everything with you, they will send you a DS2019. This process lasted around 1.5/2 months in my case.
With your DS2019 in hand, and after paying several taxes and filling a long online form, you can schedule an appointment at the US embassy to get a J1 visa. They also have some free slots for urgent and justified matters.
It is realistic to do this process in 3/4 months.

mscaif2021

Post by mscaif2021 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:19 pm

Great, thank you so much for the information! it is really helpful. I am currently filling out the necessary J-1 sponsorship forms. They are asking for a "Proof of financial sponsorship", what did you send? So far I only have the acceptance and invitation letter to the GAP. Did you submit the final signed grant agreement? I am worried that this bit will take a while to complete since the EC is experiencing IT issues...

TenniLo

Post by TenniLo » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:45 am

Hi,
I am also going to the US and was wondering the same thing: Which documents have you submitted to your US host for the visa/postdoc appointment process? The grant agreement is one document of course, but it may still take some time until this is signed..Moreover, as far as I understand, the GA does not even have your name on it, because it is signed by the European host and the EU!?

Have you also made a partnership agreement with the US host?

Does someone know what happens/Did someone have the situation before that the US organization requires a minimum funding level for postdocs, but the MSCA amount is lower than that? How did you resolve this?

Also generally, did anyone recently got the J-1 visa? Do US embassies work more or less normal again or should I still expect super annoying delays due to Covid?

Thanks, and best wishes.