2022 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2022)

Kaepirinha

Re: 2022 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2022)

Post by Kaepirinha » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:07 am

Helaine7575 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 pm
Ok, I participate to the Fanta Marie Curie and I am on ranking, It could have happened any time today. SOC panel. My proposal is on a top EU current priority, top supervisor, top host Institution - I have a great publications single authored , work in policy and academia, Expert in my field, I am sure I did a great proposal and I am saying all this to Say that I am completely aware that despite all of this It can easily fail (which I expect), It Is Indeed a lottery, so hang on there and do not be discouraged by yourself as we cannot control everything! Good luck guys!
The thing is that all of us think that our supervisors are the top ones.. Best record track...etc. Not a comment for you, for all. It is funny to read all of this. Everyone see the world as he/she pleases. For me, the true is that someone doing something extraordinary helpful in the field could review the proposal once or 0. I would like to know all of these 'top' researchers.

Axe

Post by Axe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:37 am

alex_CS wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:18 pm
As we can see, status switches are made in batches throughout several days. Is there any pattern? Anyway, I only can notice the academic insane loop involving any grant call, though it promotes the fellow holder well-being... :shock:
The question is: what is the basis for the MSCA ranking system? i.e which of the proposals are ranked first, second, third...etc?

Maybe Project scores and Project acronyms?

pav

Post by pav » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:44 am

Axe wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:37 am
alex_CS wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:18 pm
As we can see, status switches are made in batches throughout several days. Is there any pattern? Anyway, I only can notice the academic insane loop involving any grant call, though it promotes the fellow holder well-being... :shock:
The question is: what is the basis for the MSCA ranking system? i.e which of the proposals are ranked first, second, third...etc?

Maybe Project scores and Project acronyms?
I can give you a counter example to ranking by acronym. Mine starts with A and last year I switched to ranking many days after people started to report they did. Plus the spreadsheet also shows no correlation with the acronym.

belin

Post by belin » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:09 am

As it has been said before, there is likely no logic in the timing of the ranking. It seems more or less clear that the ranking process is not done by a machine but by a person (or several of them) per panel in batches for one week.

The timing to ranking, as manifested by several users before, is utterly opaque to us (as a matter of fact, even the RANKING status is most likely meaningless). It may be perfectly possible that we are categorized based on the arrival date of our evaluations from the reviewers/keywords within the panel (e.g., inorganic chemistry, theoretical chemistry)/postdoctoral experience/host country or any other indicator that we cannot track. Damn, it may well also be that the clerk in charge of dumping a particular batch of proposals has other duties or is on their day off! It may also be that early "RANKERS" will get the fellowship as well, but my point is that there are SO many unknown things that all we are doing is speculating, which is funny but may distress some other people, so please have these people in mind.

Axe

Post by Axe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:49 am

belin wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:09 am
As it has been said before, there is likely no logic in the timing of the ranking. It seems more or less clear that the ranking process is not done by a machine but by a person (or several of them) per panel in batches for one week.

The timing to ranking, as manifested by several users before, is utterly opaque to us (as a matter of fact, even the RANKING status is most likely meaningless). It may be perfectly possible that we are categorized based on the arrival date of our evaluations from the reviewers/keywords within the panel (e.g., inorganic chemistry, theoretical chemistry)/postdoctoral experience/host country or any other indicator that we cannot track. Damn, it may well also be that the clerk in charge of dumping a particular batch of proposals has other duties or is on their day off! It may also be that early "RANKERS" will get the fellowship as well, but my point is that there are SO many unknown things that all we are doing is speculating, which is funny but may distress some other people, so please have these people in mind.

Thanks! Indeed, there are so many unknowns. But academia and anxiety/stress are inseparable. I find forums like this as a good platfom to let off steam. Thanks to the magic link at least we know what's happening to our proposals. Waiting for about 6months without knowing the status of your application is even more stressful and detrimental....

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:52 am

Kakopli_17 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:40 pm
Last year, I got to the ranking phase quite early and I got 91 (SOC panel). Now I am still in evaluation (it's a resubmission). I find it hard to believe that this year the same project got less than 70. Technically, it is possible, but it would be weird. We shouldn't worry too much about the ranking, I think, but speculation is always fun :D
Hi everyone
How do we have to check if we went to Ranking or if we are under evaluation?. I can not find it in my profile
Thanks

teddyberry

Post by teddyberry » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:05 am

Fish wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:52 am
Kakopli_17 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:40 pm
Last year, I got to the ranking phase quite early and I got 91 (SOC panel). Now I am still in evaluation (it's a resubmission). I find it hard to believe that this year the same project got less than 70. Technically, it is possible, but it would be weird. We shouldn't worry too much about the ranking, I think, but speculation is always fun :D
Hi everyone
How do we have to check if we went to Ranking or if we are under evaluation?. I can not find it in my profile
Thanks
1. You need to log in to your EC account first.
2. Copy the link below
https://ec.europa.eu/research/participa ... /XXXXXXXXX
3.Replace the XXXXXXXXX with your Proposal ID number.
4. See "Phase".

Helaine7575

Post by Helaine7575 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:43 am

belin wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:09 am

Totally Agree, I also think that early ranking means absolutely nothing, or ranking in general

SezarArj

Post by SezarArj » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:45 am

I think the start of rating the ENV panel was yesterday. Is there anyone from the ENV panel whose phase change happened in the previous days?
Also, is there anyone who, for example, changed the phase today?

Answers to these questions are very helpful.

Helaine7575

Post by Helaine7575 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:47 am

Kaepirinha wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:07 am
Helaine7575 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 pm
Ok, I participate to the Fanta Marie Curie and I am on ranking, It could have happened any time today. SOC panel. My proposal is on a top EU current priority, top supervisor, top host Institution - I have a great publications single authored , work in policy and academia, Expert in my field, I am sure I did a great proposal and I am saying all this to Say that I am completely aware that despite all of this It can easily fail (which I expect), It Is Indeed a lottery, so hang on there and do not be discouraged by yourself as we cannot control everything! Good luck guys!
The thing is that all of us think that our supervisors are the top ones.. Best record track...etc. Not a comment for you, for all. It is funny to read all of this. Everyone see the world as he/she pleases. For me, the true is that someone doing something extraordinary helpful in the field could review the proposal once or 0. I would like to know all of these 'top' researchers.
My point, as I also wrote, was that It does not matter how good a proposal/researcher/host Is. There Is Always an element of luck and unpredictability.