2022 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2022)

goshgoshgosh

Re: 2022 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2022)

Post by goshgoshgosh » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:02 pm

Kaepirinha wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 pm
goshgoshgosh wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:57 pm
I found something that may be useful:

4. Panel review
During the panel reviews, the Chairs and Vice-Chairs are invited to perform another quality check of the
ESRs, and may adjust the comments and exceptionally the scores if duly justified and if fully endorsed by
the panel.
After Panel finalises its work, proposals are automatically ranked by the SEP system in descending order of
the total score in their respective panel ranking list. Any ex aequo cases are also discussed and resolved by
the panel before the final approval of the ranking lists by the Panel.

https://rea.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2 ... Europe.pdf
This says what the other guy: gogoboy was suggesting. The change to ranking depends on when the evaluator reviews it as it automatically goes to ranking after that...so please.. do not create anxiety regarding ranking time and success because there is no correlation.
Honestly it is a bit imperscrutable. From what I understand, the panel approves the scores of the referees; once they approved all scores, they input them in the system; the system ranks them; the panel then discusses what to do with ex-aequo.

So it is legitimate to think that one switches to the "ranking" phase when they input the scores in the system.

But this does not explain why one changes to ranking at different times despite being in the same panel.

Another explanation is that the panel inputs data after every meeting session. This would explain the batches. If the evaluations are checked not randomly, for instance from the highest score to the lowest, this would explain also the sensation one has from reading last year's spreadsheet, that is, that those who switch to "ranking" first have on average a higher score.

MSCA OPS

Post by MSCA OPS » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:05 pm

It does not depend on the evaluators :) External evaluations are done earlier. then they are discussed presumably at a final meeting where the grade is confirmed (or not) and where the ranking is then determined. it works pretty much like this in all national/international research funding. Of course, this does not mean that the magic link is reliable! Or that the timing of the move to ranking necessarily means anything

behradei

Post by behradei » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:10 pm

Kaepirinha wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 pm
goshgoshgosh wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:57 pm
I found something that may be useful:

4. Panel review
During the panel reviews, the Chairs and Vice-Chairs are invited to perform another quality check of the
ESRs, and may adjust the comments and exceptionally the scores if duly justified and if fully endorsed by
the panel.
After Panel finalises its work, proposals are automatically ranked by the SEP system in descending order of
the total score in their respective panel ranking list. Any ex aequo cases are also discussed and resolved by
the panel before the final approval of the ranking lists by the Panel.

https://rea.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2 ... Europe.pdf
This says what the other guy: gogoboy was suggesting. The change to ranking depends on when the evaluator reviews it as it automatically goes to ranking after that...so please.. do not create anxiety regarding ranking time and success because there is no correlation.
There is an obvious correlation in data, the problem is that the data set is small and it is inconclusive due to some outliers ...
But it is clear that the sooner your status switches to ranking the higher chance of winning you have!
Especially if it switches in first 12 hours!

SezarArj

Post by SezarArj » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 pm

Has anyone from the ENV panel had a phase change before February 2nd?
I want to know from what date the ENV panel changes started.
please help.

lyb

Post by lyb » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:16 pm

SezarArj wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 pm
please help.
You could see all the information collected so far in this form and may also fill in your info.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

FYI the following link is the spreadsheet last year
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... o/htmlview#
Last edited by lyb on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex_CS

Post by alex_CS » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm

CGN wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:48 am
And this year, the first people to get ranked were on the 31st of January. I got ranked two days later, so it must be a low score.
there is no obvious link between the change of status and the proposal score, if we take into account the last year's stats.

CGN

Post by CGN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:35 pm

gogoboy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:07 pm
Guys, I'm quite sure that the evaluation process works like paper reviews. The evaluators are asked to review a project. When they accept, the status changes to "Evaluation". They have a deadline. Depending on how fast they are, they upload a score/comment by this deadline. When all scores are available for a project, and the panel committee finds them suitable (i.e., not too different), the final score is assigned to the project (moving to "Ranking"). The results (ranked score list) come out when all the scores have been assigned to all projects. So passing from "Submitted" to "Evaluation" to "Ranking" only depends on the evaluator's speed to accept the review and provide feedback. For those who never passed to "Ranking", one reviewer probably never provided their evaluation, which was then completed by the committee board before publishing the results.
It is possible, maybe where there is an agreement between reviewers the scoring time is quicker, while reviewes with high disagreement need to be checked multiple times. One reviewer said that the discussion can be very long if 2 reviewers have opposite opinions. But since lower scores are correlated with reviewers' disagreement, I think that the earlier you go to ranking the more chances you have to get funded.

michelef

Post by michelef » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:39 pm

alex_CS wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm
CGN wrote:
And this year, the first people to get ranked were on the 31st of January. I got ranked two days later, so it must be a low score.
there is no obvious link between the change of status and the proposal score, if we take into account the last year's stats.
In a purely scientific fashion, according to some there's a clear correlation between time of ranking and score, and according to someone else there is no link... :lol:

I'm really getting confused here

lyb

Post by lyb » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:46 pm

michelef wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:39 pm
alex_CS wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm
CGN wrote:
In a purely scientific fashion, according to some there's a clear correlation between time of ranking and score, and according to someone else there is no link... :lol:

I'm really getting confused here
Please see the following link of the spreadsheet last year, and you could draw the conclusion by yourself ;)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... o/htmlview

SezarArj

Post by SezarArj » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:48 pm

lyb wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:16 pm
SezarArj wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 pm
please help.
You could see all the information collected so far in this form and may also fill in your info.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

FYI the following link is the spreadsheet last year
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... o/htmlview#
thank you. This information is from previous years.
I want to know about this year and what happened.