MSCA Fellowship Pay vs Inflation

raff

MSCA Fellowship Pay vs Inflation

Post by raff » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 am

Hi all,
I was granted an MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship in the 2021 call and will soon be starting my work in Spain. But, I'm getting a bit worried about the inflation and the cost of living. When the call was announced a year ago, the salary seemed very good. But, the inflation of 10% that has happened since means, it's... let's say still 'good'. We obviously don't know the speed of price rises in the coming years, but even assuming the remains as it is, the salary will lose another 20% in value by the time I receive last paycheck. I expect the regular academics get compensated (even if late and insufficiently), but there is no such mechanism in MSCA rules.
Am I right in assuming I'll be receiving the same nominal salary no matter what happens with the prices in the meantime? What do you all think about it?

FairEnough

Re: MSCA Fellowship Pay vs Inflation

Post by FairEnough » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:29 pm

Hi,

The best to wait till the winter is over around April to start the fellowship so the energy consumption will be less and the horizon of energy and prices crises will be clearer, as i think.
raff wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 am
Hi all,
I was granted an MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship in the 2021 call and will soon be starting my work in Spain. But, I'm getting a bit worried about the inflation and the cost of living. When the call was announced a year ago, the salary seemed very good. But, the inflation of 10% that has happened since means, it's... let's say still 'good'. We obviously don't know the speed of price rises in the coming years, but even assuming the remains as it is, the salary will lose another 20% in value by the time I receive last paycheck. I expect the regular academics get compensated (even if late and insufficiently), but there is no such mechanism in MSCA rules.
Am I right in assuming I'll be receiving the same nominal salary no matter what happens with the prices in the meantime? What do you all think about it?