USA health insurance with Global Fellowship

CountZ
Site Admin

USA health insurance with Global Fellowship

Post by CountZ » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi all
I was wondering whether anyone going to (or in) the US had to deal with health insurance. If so, how did you pay this? The costs of health insurance are higher than $2000/month in many cases. It is impossible to pay this with an MSCA salary. How does the EU beneficiary pay this?

michelef

Re: USA health insurance with Global Fellowship

Post by michelef » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:21 am

CountZ wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi all
I was wondering whether anyone going to (or in) the US had to deal with health insurance. If so, how did you pay this? The costs of health insurance are higher than $2000/month in many cases. It is impossible to pay this with an MSCA salary. How does the EU beneficiary pay this?
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I worked in the US as a postdoc for a while (just a postdoc, not MSCA), and the university was paying part of my health insurance. It depends on which university is the host and whether the university has some agreement with a health insurance company. In my case (I was working in Massachusetts) the health insurance (the most basic plan) was about $370 x month, so a very accessible fee considering that part of it was payed by the university. Since a MSCA will be an employee of the university similarly to a standard postdoc (I guess), I would expect similar benefits... but it depends on the university, as I don't think there's a general rule. So the best way to know that is to ask the university itself if they have any benefits for health insurance.