Only related to "Reserve list" Q&A 2022

PROSCO

Re: Only related to "Reserve list" Q&A 2022

Post by PROSCO » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:45 pm

ExAstris wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:31 am
PROSCO wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:45 am
It would be nice if you can explain what you mean by rejigging of budget? I was informed from my German NCP that the number of dropouts due to UK-HE association failure will be given to the reserves of the same panel. But you are implying that the total dropout seats from the UK funded projects will be distributed across the panels to meet the same success rate?
I mean that it is possible that with 1149 of 6909 projects dropping out the (apparently) overriding wish to have similar success rates means they might go back to redo the allocation of the budgets.

If only a handful of projects drop out (the normal operating mode without an entire country dropping out), the approach to simply pick the next project off the reserve list for that particular panel makes sense, because the number of projects decreases by fractions of percents, and so the success rate will only change by fractions of percents. But if a major portion drops out, success rates may suddenly differ a lot between panels, and if they don't want that they have to recalculate the budget allocation. As an example: CHE now has ~15% of proposals, so gets 15% of budget. Hypothetically, if the UK was massively overrepresented here, and without the UK projects CHE had only 10% of the remaining projects, it would be weird to still keep the initially allocated 15%. CHE would have much higher success rate than the other panels. So they might decide to recalculate and allocate 10% instead. I'm not saying this is definitely how they do it, but it would be a possibility based on how the budgets are supposed to be split up: by number of applications, which massively changed on the 17th.

To be clear: this would still likely be a small rebalance, because the number of applications is probably close to equally distributed, and so the naive approach of "23 projects drop out, so 23 reserves get selected" will be close to true, but I could envision deviations of one or two from this estimate, based on a rebalance.
Oh, now I understand. All panels before 17th of May had approximately 17 - 20 % success rates. If the empty seats caused by the dropouts of the UK hosted project, then the success rate of each panel will vary significantly. That makes sense... We will just have to see how the EC determines how to allocate these seats.

Praba

Post by Praba » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:11 pm

PROSCO wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:45 pm
ExAstris wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:31 am
PROSCO wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:45 am
It would be nice if you can explain what you mean by rejigging of budget? I was informed from my German NCP that the number of dropouts due to UK-HE association failure will be given to the reserves of the same panel. But you are implying that the total dropout seats from the UK funded projects will be distributed across the panels to meet the same success rate?
I mean that it is possible that with 1149 of 6909 projects dropping out the (apparently) overriding wish to have similar success rates means they might go back to redo the allocation of the budgets.

If only a handful of projects drop out (the normal operating mode without an entire country dropping out), the approach to simply pick the next project off the reserve list for that particular panel makes sense, because the number of projects decreases by fractions of percents, and so the success rate will only change by fractions of percents. But if a major portion drops out, success rates may suddenly differ a lot between panels, and if they don't want that they have to recalculate the budget allocation. As an example: CHE now has ~15% of proposals, so gets 15% of budget. Hypothetically, if the UK was massively overrepresented here, and without the UK projects CHE had only 10% of the remaining projects, it would be weird to still keep the initially allocated 15%. CHE would have much higher success rate than the other panels. So they might decide to recalculate and allocate 10% instead. I'm not saying this is definitely how they do it, but it would be a possibility based on how the budgets are supposed to be split up: by number of applications, which massively changed on the 17th.

To be clear: this would still likely be a small rebalance, because the number of applications is probably close to equally distributed, and so the naive approach of "23 projects drop out, so 23 reserves get selected" will be close to true, but I could envision deviations of one or two from this estimate, based on a rebalance.
Oh, now I understand. All panels before 17th of May had approximately 17 - 20 % success rates. If the empty seats caused by the dropouts of the UK hosted project, then the success rate of each panel will vary significantly. That makes sense... We will just have to see how the EC determines how to allocate these seats.
In my opinion, EC already released the statement of success percentage in each panels, like SOC (24.5%), LIF (21.3%), ENG (13.9%), CHE (13.8), etc. This percentage is not for seems like to maintain the number selected proposals, hence the selected proposals in SOC is 302, whereas in ECO is 23. So, I assume, they may not change this success percentage ratio, instead they will try to maintain the ratio by directly filling UK vacancies with next reserve list candidates in the same panel or merging all UK vacancies and distribute to each panels to maintain this percentage. Eitherway, the number of reserve list candidates getting chances in each panels will be same. I did not noticed the change in percentage of success ratio in each panels before and after the UK vacancies were filled in the last year.

lollpoppy22

Post by lollpoppy22 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:56 pm

Indeed, the ratio at the same has to stay the same as they posted in Feb/Mar. However, I don´t get how some people from reserve list already got rejection letter and they don´t have UK-based host.

Praba

Post by Praba » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:18 pm

lollpoppy22 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:56 pm
Indeed, the ratio at the same has to stay the same as they posted in Feb/Mar. However, I don´t get how some people from reserve list already got rejection letter and they don´t have UK-based host.
I didn't heard anything like this, atleast not from this forum. Could you please let us know where did you came to know this? Usually EC will send rejection letter just before the application deadline of the next call.

lollpoppy22

Post by lollpoppy22 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:59 am

Sure, I have called NPC in France and I have asked, and I got this information. I agree that this is very strange. :shock:

Praba

Post by Praba » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:24 pm

Hey guys, any news from NCPs?

jahmed

Post by jahmed » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:42 pm

No News. They don't have any news yet (France NCP)

XmendeleievX

Post by XmendeleievX » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm

Same in Spain, no news.

Praba

Post by Praba » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:01 pm

XmendeleievX wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm
Same in Spain, no news.
Same with German NCP. :roll:
I really can't understand why EC is taking these long..??
German NCP confirms two weeks ago that they had a meeting with EC and they will start sending invitation from next week (it means last week).

PROSCO

Post by PROSCO » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Praba wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:01 pm
XmendeleievX wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm
Same in Spain, no news.
Same with German NCP. :roll:
I really can't understand why EC is taking these long..??
German NCP confirms two weeks ago that they had a meeting with EC and they will start sending invitation from next week (it means last week).
No news from my German host. They did not know that EC has started sending the invitation.