Only related to "Reserve list" Q&A 2022

Joeiscrosshisfingers

Re: Only related to "Reserve list" Q&A 2022

Post by Joeiscrosshisfingers » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Last week, my NCP (Norway) told me they should be sending out invitations to the reserve list this week. But...
Anyone in social science?

Praba

Post by Praba » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:07 pm

Joeiscrosshisfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:38 pm
Last week, my NCP (Norway) told me they should be sending out invitations to the reserve list this week. But...
Anyone in social science?
German NCP told same. Moreover, NCP told the EC confirm this in the meeting held with them in the last week. Probably this delay is due to bureaucracy procedure.

XmendeleievX

Post by XmendeleievX » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:25 pm

lollpoppy22 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:51 pm
I know that on CHE-EF are 25 people from UK, so if this is right, then 25 people from reserve list should get.
Unfortunately, I do not think it works like that. The funds from UK projects will be distributed so the average success rate will remain the same across panels. 25 CHE from uk wont translate into 25 CHE funded from reserve list. I wish so as I am 20 in reserve list but I highly doubt it. My NCP told me I should be within the first 10 to actually have a chance :(

Praba

Post by Praba » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:51 pm

XmendeleievX wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:25 pm
lollpoppy22 wrote:
I know that on CHE-EF are 25 people from UK, so if this is right, then 25 people from reserve list should get.
Unfortunately, I do not think it works like that. The funds from UK projects will be distributed so the average success rate will remain the same across panels. 25 CHE from uk wont translate into 25 CHE funded from reserve list. I wish so as I am 20 in reserve list but I highly doubt it. My NCP told me I should be within the first 10 to actually have a chance :(
In the last year also it was having a same issue. But, 25 UK vacancies (if this is actual numbers) from EF-CHE will transfer to the same panel. It make sense, because no. of selected percentage in each panels differ. So they can't merge all UK vacancies and distribute equally to all panels.
This issue was raised in the MSCA official Twitter page in the last year and it was answered like this.

XmendeleievX

Post by XmendeleievX » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:29 pm

Praba wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:51 pm
XmendeleievX wrote:
lollpoppy22 wrote:
In the last year also it was having a same issue. But, 25 UK vacancies (if this is actual numbers) from EF-CHE will transfer to the same panel. It make sense, because no. of selected percentage in each panels differ. So they can't merge all UK vacancies and distribute equally to all panels.
This issue was raised in the MSCA official Twitter page in the last year and it was answered like this.
I am not sure I understand, sorry. I didn't mean that the UK funds will be distributed equally to all panels. It was my understanding that they would take UK funds and distribute it so the relative success rate of the different panels remains the same that now or as close as possible.

In any case if what you mean is that they will transfer funds "panel to panel" (CHE to CHE, ENG to ENG...) that would be indeed some hope for me, could you share some source?.

Praba

Post by Praba » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:21 am

XmendeleievX wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:29 pm
Praba wrote:
XmendeleievX wrote:

I am not sure I understand, sorry. I didn't mean that the UK funds will be distributed equally to all panels. It was my understanding that they would take UK funds and distribute it so the relative success rate of the different panels remains the same that now or as close as possible.

In any case if what you mean is that they will transfer funds "panel to panel" (CHE to CHE, ENG to ENG...) that would be indeed some hope for me, could you share some source?.
Attachments
IMG_20230603_231926.jpg
IMG_20230603_231926.jpg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

Praba

Post by Praba » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:29 am

XmendeleievX wrote:
Praba wrote:
XmendeleievX wrote:

Moreover, I am having doubt in the NCPs numbers for the reserve list candidates in EF-CHE panel. German and France NCPs told that it is 40+ UK based candidates in EF-CHE panel. But some other NCPs told it is 25. In the last year, 40+ reserve list ranked guy got an invitation in EF-CHE panel. So, the numbers are not clear to me.

XmendeleievX

Post by XmendeleievX » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:07 am

Praba wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:29 am
XmendeleievX wrote:
Praba wrote:

Moreover, I am having doubt in the NCPs numbers for the reserve list candidates in EF-CHE panel. German and France NCPs told that it is 40+ UK based candidates in EF-CHE panel. But some other NCPs told it is 25. In the last year, 40+ reserve list ranked guy got an invitation in EF-CHE panel. So, the numbers are not clear to me.
Thank you for the feedback and the screenshot. It could be however that they were answering to someone asking what happens if someone drops the project before starting, in which case of course they pass to the next person of the same panel, and not about what happens with the UK money.

Regarding the 40+ reserve, my NCP (Spain) told me otherwise. At least here they told me if I am not top 10 in reserve not to have too much hope, but I sincerely hope that you are right and they are wrong!!

ExAstris

Post by ExAstris » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:15 am

Praba wrote:
XmendeleievX wrote:
Praba wrote:

I was about to make a comment/question about this, actually: do we have any reliable statistics about the UK fractions? Any official documents maybe? Because 50 projects in ENG, 40 in CHE, etc, amounts to 20%+ of all projects. Also, if the 241 missing projects are all UK, that's 22% (241/1093, presumably the UK can't be destination for both MSCA-GF and -EF), which would be consistent. But the EU has 27 member states, and there's additional associated countries, so I'm finding it difficult to believe that the UK gets a quarter of all projects. Especially since in Horizon 2020 it seems to have gotten ~12% of the total funding, according to official reports. The only way I can reconcile these two things is that the UK is massively overrepresented in MSCA and underrepresented in the other categories, like ERC grants, which would be good for us in this forum, but a bit weird...

Regarding the distribution: the different panels have different cutoffs, which means that the budgets for a given category must have been allocated before looking at projects (so e.g. allocated money for physics can cover projects down to a score of 92.4, but for ECO there's enough money to go below 90). So if the UK drops out this would likely not change how the money is distributed between panels (the entire point is that the overall budget remains the same, but certain projects drop out), and so the budget should still be distributed within panels. It also simply doesn't make sense to have reserve lists for individual panels if they then start distributing between panels.

XmendeleievX

Post by XmendeleievX » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:33 am

ExAstris wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:15 am
Praba wrote:
XmendeleievX wrote:

I was about to make a comment/question about this, actually: do we have any reliable statistics about the UK fractions? Any official documents maybe? Because 50 projects in ENG, 40 in CHE, etc, amounts to 20%+ of all projects. Also, if the 241 missing projects are all UK, that's 22% (241/1093, presumably the UK can't be destination for both MSCA-GF and -EF), which would be consistent. But the EU has 27 member states, and there's additional associated countries, so I'm finding it difficult to believe that the UK gets a quarter of all projects. Especially since in Horizon 2020 it seems to have gotten ~12% of the total funding, according to official reports. The only way I can reconcile these two things is that the UK is massively overrepresented in MSCA and underrepresented in the other categories, like ERC grants, which would be good for us in this forum, but a bit weird...

Regarding the distribution: the different panels have different cutoffs, which means that the budgets for a given category must have been allocated before looking at projects (so e.g. allocated money for physics can cover projects down to a score of 92.4, but for ECO there's enough money to go below 90). So if the UK drops out this would likely not change how the money is distributed between panels (the entire point is that the overall budget remains the same, but certain projects drop out), and so the budget should still be distributed within panels. It also simply doesn't make sense to have reserve lists for individual panels if they then start distributing between panels.
Regarding the reliable data, I could not find any. I have been reading last year's thread of "funded from reserve list", as the UK situation was pretty much the same last year I thought it could give me an indication of what to expect. However I could not find much info, a lot of happy people cause they got their signature agreements, haha. Some did indicate their position in the reserve list but all of them were pretty high up (4th, 5th something like that). I didn't see anyone saying "hey guys I was 20th in the reserve list and I go it!!", which again according to my NCP is quite impossible.