2023 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship(HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

skm

2023 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship(HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by skm » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:19 am

Hi Guys,
The call will be opened tomorrow and we all will be busy in preparing the proposals and training sessions etc etc.
All the best to all.

Regards

FairEnough

Re: 2023 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship(HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by FairEnough » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:01 pm

Hello everyone,

This is a very important video for "Making the Most of Your MSCA Individual Fellowship"

enjoy watching
https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/making-the ... fellowship

skm

Post by skm » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:26 am

Good. Video.
but very long still worth it for those applying to know the criticalities.
Thanks.

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:47 pm

Good luck to everyone!!
This call is becoming more and more challenging every year, which makes it even more interesting as it constitutes a great challenge.
I will not be applying myself this year, but I am currently supporting a few applicants with their proposals. If this is of any interest to any of you, please do not hesitate to PM me and learn more.
Again... good luck!!

skm

Post by skm » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:14 am

Esbesp wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:47 pm
Good luck to everyone!!
This call is becoming more and more challenging every year, which makes it even more interesting as it constitutes a great challenge.
I will not be applying myself this year, but I am currently supporting a few applicants with their proposals. If this is of any interest to any of you, please do not hesitate to PM me and learn more.
Again... good luck!!
Why not applying? is it not that you lose time?
anyway, if you helping others, its Good gesture. Thank you.

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:36 am

skm wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:14 am
Esbesp wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:47 pm
Good luck to everyone!!
Again... good luck!!
Why not applying? is it not that you lose time?
anyway, if you helping others, its Good gesture. Thank you.
I don't think you loose time at all!! Before I submitted the last one I was offered a position as a research analyst and now I do this for a living. It is actually quite rewarding to work on not just one application but several in parallel with different topics, but of course this is just my opinion!

assprovost

Post by assprovost » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:49 pm

A video on how to structure your 2023 MSCA proposal:
https://youtu.be/MStKkoO2s3E

thechemguy

Post by thechemguy » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:05 pm

Hi guys,

I just registered to drop by and make some comments that might help applicants in this journey. I got the MC (CHE-GF) last year after 5 attempts and here are some things I found useful in my adventure:

In my opinion there are two major group of proposals, the ones that have all the required info, structure and checkboxes ticked and the ones that dont. The ones that don't will not make it in any case, period. The ones that do have all the necessary elements might or might not get funded depending on pure luck, it is simple and hard. Once you have a strong, solid, well built and sound proposal you enter a realm of subjectivity, and there are many factors that will influence the decision of the evaluators that you cannot control, for instance:

- Your CV: In theory your CV does not have a direct impact in the evaluation, as long as the proposal fits your experience and you can find that subtle balance between what you can do and what you claim you'll learn that is ok for them. I have friends who got the MC right after the PhD with 3 or 4 papers, and I have friends who did not get it after several postdocs and many papers. That being said, it is reasonable to think that if you have an impressive CV the evaluator might (or might not) read your proposal with kinder eyes. For this point you cannot really do much, your CV is what it is, you can however make sure that you do not claim in your proposal that you'll do things that are way too far of your capabilities (according to the skills portraited in your CV). You don't want to be too close to your previous experience either, to find that balance and properly explain it in the proposal is very important.

- The topic: The evaluator will be more or less familiar with your specific topic and this will have a direct impact in the way he or she evaluates it, this you cannot do anything about.

- Other factors like the possibility of the evaluator knowing personally your supervisor(s), liking or disliking them, etc. This you cannot do anything about.

- etc

What I am trying to say is that for the part that you cannot control there are many things that come with the fact that the evaluators are after all humans. Although I am sure they know the big responsibility they have and they do their best to stay cold and objective, they are not machines. This might sounds discouraging but in the unfortunate case that you do not get it you can think about these factors to find some comfort.

Another thing you want to be careful with is the comments from colleagues, supervisors and even evaluators. Although most probably they will know more than you about the topic in the proposal (sometimes not) and proposal writing in general, don't forget to use your own criteria. I have had comments from evaluators that have been in direct conflict in different applications, and different scores with basically the same proposal (of this you can see many cases in this forum). So read the evaluators comments carefully, consider which ones you think are worth tackling, but also which ones are not.

In short, work hard in the part you can control. Make sure every single one of the points they ask for are included and in their rightful place. Make sure your research proposal is realistic but not too close to what is done (this part is tricky). Ask as many people as you can to have a look, this last year I even hired a freelancer (former MC) who took a look to my proposal and pointed out several things I missed, but even if you can/want hire someone to help keep in mind your own criteria!

Anyway this is what I can think of at the moment, it is not much but some of these things I would have liked to hear when I started this adventure.

Cheers

ebraheem.chemist

Post by ebraheem.chemist » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:13 pm

I need honest response
My host proposed 5 risks with solutions in my proposal. One is high risk, 2 medium, 1 low and 1 unlikely. How can it impact or advantageous the proposal evaluation?

chaitanya

Post by chaitanya » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:21 pm

Hello guys,
I read the above discussion and I got that getting MSCA is hardwork but also luck plays a very crucial role here. My question is that my CV is not very strong. I have 10-11 papers overall but just 2 in first author. Also the topic of proposal which I am writing is very different than my PhD topic like my PhD was in crystal growth and I have proposed to work on nanocomposites so what do you think? Will I get the fellowship or not?