2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

MiaJPompa

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by MiaJPompa » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 pm

ga2134 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:39 pm
Is there a way to appeal to the EU to just send the grant agreement preparation to UK reserve list candidates if their number comes up by dropping out? This way they get an opportunity to get UKRI funding without any extra cost to EU. Seems like a sensible thing to do. I am in a similar situation just 0.2 below the cutoff in EF-Phys with 4.8 in excellence. So likely very high on the reserve list.
edorla wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:52 pm
For fellow UK proposals on the reserve list:

The UK NCP say they don't have access to the reserve list and therefore cannot check rankings. In theory you could be eligible for UKRI guarantee funding as long as you are invited for the grant agreement preparation at some stage, even if you're originally on the reserve list. However, in previous post-Brexit calls the European Commission has not invited any UK proposals from the reserve list for grant agreement preparation, so unless that changes this year, the NCP say we do not have a chance to receive funding.

So fingers crossed the EC changes their approach this year, but I wouldn't count on it. Pretty frustrating as I've got 95% and am only 0.2% below the EF-ENV cut-off, but so it goes.
I just got the same info from the UK NCP, quite discouraging! I also think we should appeal to the EU comission if this happens, as we should have the same opportunities other applicants have. However, I want to believe that even if this was the case in 2021 and 22 calls, this time as the UKRI clearly state that if we are invited to the GAP they will fund us, maybe should be different? (or maybe this is just me being delusional). Let's see what happens in June...

ella_

Post by ella_ » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:40 pm

watermelon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:18 pm
watermelon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 pm
German NCP refuse to give any information other than my ranking in the reserve list, stating that they are confidential. It doesn't make sense. Why should the number of applications in the main list or the number of applications with a UK host above my cut-off should be confidential? How else can one calculate one's chance of being invited for the grant? So frustrating.
Contacted Netherlands NCP and, thankfully, they gave all the information. I am 7th on the reserve list (assuming applicants with a UK host will be funded by the UK government).

There are obvious mistakes in the 2 weaknesses mentioned in section 3. So, I am just hoping my strong rebuttal letter will help me. Do we know usually how many applicants from the wait list are called?

Thanks to everyone sharing all the information they gather. It would have been impossible to remain sane without this forum.
So happy they gave you the info!!! what a nonsense from the German NCP, people plan their lives around these grants...

ella_

Post by ella_ » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:45 pm

MiaJPompa wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 pm
ga2134 wrote:
Is there a way to appeal to the EU to just send the grant agreement preparation to UK reserve list candidates if their number comes up by dropping out? This way they get an opportunity to get UKRI funding without any extra cost to EU. Seems like a sensible thing to do. I am in a similar situation just 0.2 below the cutoff in EF-Phys with 4.8 in excellence. So likely very high on the reserve list.
edorla wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:52 pm
For fellow UK proposals on the reserve list:

The UK NCP say they don't have access to the reserve list and therefore cannot check rankings. In theory you could be eligible for UKRI guarantee funding as long as you are invited for the grant agreement preparation at some stage, even if you're originally on the reserve list. However, in previous post-Brexit calls the European Commission has not invited any UK proposals from the reserve list for grant agreement preparation, so unless that changes this year, the NCP say we do not have a chance to receive funding.

So fingers crossed the EC changes their approach this year, but I wouldn't count on it. Pretty frustrating as I've got 95% and am only 0.2% below the EF-ENV cut-off, but so it goes.
I just got the same info from the UK NCP, quite discouraging! I also think we should appeal to the EU comission if this happens, as we should have the same opportunities other applicants have. However, I want to believe that even if this was the case in 2021 and 22 calls, this time as the UKRI clearly state that if we are invited to the GAP they will fund us, maybe should be different? (or maybe this is just me being delusional). Let's see what happens in June...
That is maddening! very 'computer says no', I really don't get why they can't just share the whole list with the UK, scores, rankings its so little information. Then nobody would have to go through this dance of switching places, and the people on the reserve list would be treated equally, now its still a punishment for those that applied with UK institutions.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:34 pm

I was reading the news reporting the MSCA results on the EC website and noticed that they decreased the number of applicants on the reserve list significantly, from approximately 1,000 to about 500. Does anyone have any guesses as to why this might be?

ga2134

Post by ga2134 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:24 am

ella_ wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:45 pm
MiaJPompa wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 pm
ga2134 wrote:

That is maddening! very 'computer says no', I really don't get why they can't just share the whole list with the UK, scores, rankings its so little information. Then nobody would have to go through this dance of switching places, and the people on the reserve list would be treated equally, now its still a punishment for those that applied with UK institutions.
I wouldn't be too optimistic about this year being any different regarding this. The point is that the EU never sends GAP to UK reserve listed applicants and the UKRI gets a nice excuse to put it on the EU. To make it worse the EU does not seem to share the reserve list with UK NCP at all. Seems like a nice mutually agreed setup to put the blame on the other agency. I am also surprised that no one in the previous years tried to raise this straightforward issue/loophole. Or maybe they did and were ignored?

Ping

Post by Ping » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:31 am

Hi All! Mine 92.6% EF-CHE in UK. The UK NCP told me they do not have access to the reserve list and they are unable to tell you your position. Did anyone get some information from the UK NCP?

canb_esp

Post by canb_esp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:43 am

Hi all,

Does anybody know the number of UK applicants invited for GAP in the GF-CHE?

There are 12 proposals selected and I think I am on the 5th position of the reserve list.

Thanks

watermelon

Post by watermelon » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:39 am

ella_ wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:40 pm
watermelon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:18 pm
watermelon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 pm
German NCP refuse to give any information other than my ranking in the reserve list, stating that they are confidential. It doesn't make sense. Why should the number of applications in the main list or the number of applications with a UK host above my cut-off should be confidential? How else can one calculate one's chance of being invited for the grant? So frustrating.
Contacted Netherlands NCP and, thankfully, they gave all the information. I am 7th on the reserve list (assuming applicants with a UK host will be funded by the UK government).

There are obvious mistakes in the 2 weaknesses mentioned in section 3. So, I am just hoping my strong rebuttal letter will help me. Do we know usually how many applicants from the wait list are called?

Thanks to everyone sharing all the information they gather. It would have been impossible to remain sane without this forum.
So happy they gave you the info!!! what a nonsense from the German NCP, people plan their lives around these grants...
Exactly! They have been consistently uncooperative from when I started applying last year. I am very glad that you wrote about the Netherlands NCP!

glycoglyco

Post by glycoglyco » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 am

Ping wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:31 am
Hi All! Mine 92.6% EF-CHE in UK. The UK NCP told me they do not have access to the reserve list and they are unable to tell you your position. Did anyone get some information from the UK NCP?
Hi Ping. I am EF-CHE 92.0 and 28th in the reserve list, so you'll be somewhere above me. Not very specific but maybe you can get an idea like this. Good luck!

Ping

Post by Ping » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:53 am

glycoglyco wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 am
Ping wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:31 am
Hi Ping. I am EF-CHE 92.0 and 28th in the reserve list, so you'll be somewhere above me. Not very specific but maybe you can get an idea like this. Good luck!
Thank you very much for your provided information! Good luck!!