2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

RE1355

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by RE1355 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:56 pm

we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp

afabris

Post by afabris » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:38 pm

The situation arises because an agreement between the EU and the UK regarding the latter's participation in the Horizon program had not been finalized last year. Since the program's funding supports both the applicant and the hosting institution, these funds cannot be allocated to a country outside the Horizon budget framework. Consequently, at the time of announcement, all involved participants are deemed ineligible. Thus, it's not feasible to include any of these participants on the primary list. In essence, from an administrative standpoint, it would contradictory to classify someone as ineligible and later upgrade them to winner status as if they are not eligible from the start. However, this does not preclude the possibility of extending UK funding to those on the waiting list (they have our lists).
On the other hand, if they acted differently, others affected by the situation would probably object.
Let us all on the waiting list hope for an additional budget!

ga2134 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:29 pm
dorello wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:31 pm
RE1355 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:25 pm

I got the same reply. This is a critical issue. we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp
Maybe it's a bit strange that a Uk-based proposal should be moved to the main list only because the other UK proposals are foreclosed. But I understand the principle. UKRI should act like Sweden, due to the problems of negotiation with Horizon, and fund all the proposals selected in both lists
I mean in isolation UKRI's stand is logical. The non-logical part is the EU's approach to treat UK main list candidates at the same level as the rest of EU main listed candidates but treat UK reserve listed candidates differently. And bizarrely, the EU has nothing to gain from it whatsoever, and the only agency that profits from this is UKRI by having to fund fewer projects.

dorello

Post by dorello » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:56 pm

afabris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:38 pm
The situation arises because an agreement between the EU and the UK regarding the latter's participation in the Horizon program had not been finalized last year. Since the program's funding supports both the applicant and the hosting institution, these funds cannot be allocated to a country outside the Horizon budget framework. Consequently, at the time of announcement, all involved participants are deemed ineligible. Thus, it's not feasible to include any of these participants on the primary list. In essence, from an administrative standpoint, it would contradictory to classify someone as ineligible and later upgrade them to winner status as if they are not eligible from the start. However, this does not preclude the possibility of extending UK funding to those on the waiting list (they have our lists).
On the other hand, if they acted differently, others affected by the situation would probably object.
Let us all on the waiting list hope for an additional budget!

ga2134 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:29 pm
dorello wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:31 pm

Maybe it's a bit strange that a Uk-based proposal should be moved to the main list only because the other UK proposals are foreclosed. But I understand the principle. UKRI should act like Sweden, due to the problems of negotiation with Horizon, and fund all the proposals selected in both lists
I mean in isolation UKRI's stand is logical. The non-logical part is the EU's approach to treat UK main list candidates at the same level as the rest of EU main listed candidates but treat UK reserve listed candidates differently. And bizarrely, the EU has nothing to gain from it whatsoever, and the only agency that profits from this is UKRI by having to fund fewer projects.
Probabiy the most logical option would have been prohibiting uk applicants from applying, treating UK like Nigeria, US or Laos

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:36 pm

The EU (REA) is going to delete UK-based proposals from the reserve list. If these proposals move to the main list, they will be supported by UKRI not the EU. So, why does the EU make this unfair procedure? We (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp

dorello

Post by dorello » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:16 pm

RE1355 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:36 pm
The EU (REA) is going to delete UK-based proposals from the reserve list. If these proposals move to the main list, they will be supported by UKRI not the EU. So, why does the EU make this unfair procedure? We (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp
The main problem, as I wrote, is that the Uk-based proposals in RL could step in only thanks to other UK-based proposals deleted from ML. So, it is illogical claiming that the reserves could take the place of other proposals of the same category which won but were excluded. It is necessary to askto Ukri to fund all the proposals in the RL

ga2134

Post by ga2134 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:12 pm

dorello wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:16 pm
RE1355 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:36 pm
The main problem, as I wrote, is that the Uk-based proposals in RL could step in only thanks to other UK-based proposals deleted from ML. So, it is illogical claiming that the reserves could take the place of other proposals of the same category which won but were excluded. It is necessary to askto Ukri to fund all the proposals in the RL
Yeah, but the other interpretation is that a successful candidate is given the GAP first and then disqualified if they are ineligible. That's the process with the UK first list. So you apply this process rankwise through the list. Once a candidate is disqualified the next in line is given GAP first and then their eligibility is checked and disqualified if they're hosted in the UK.

tausendfuessler2

Post by tausendfuessler2 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:53 pm

ga2134 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:18 am
colecole wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:24 am
My suggestion is:

We UK-hosted applicants on the reserve list TOGETHER send an email to the EU funding agency and the UK NCP. With many people in the email list, they would have to carefully re-consider how to handle this issue.
I think, if they exclude UK-hosted applicants on the reserve list, it actually violates principles including equity, fairness, inclusion, etc. This is not a un-serious issue. By the very least, they should've well incorporated such potential issues in the beginning of the call.

If you are interested in sending this email together, please send me a private message.
Fingers crossed.
Agree 100%. Sent you a PM.
I'm in the same situation, UK-hosted on reserve list will pm you.

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01 am

The EU (REA) is going to delete UK-based proposals from the reserve list of MSCA-2023. we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp

Panda

Post by Panda » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:55 pm

brother wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:23 pm
Hello all,
Does anyone have information for EF-ENG? Would love to know how many UK host proposals in the main list. Thanks.

Hi, don't have an Idea, but mine is EF-ENG 93.8%, reserve list; my host university said that I am between 10-14 waiting. I am just waiting to know how many UK applicants get UKRI and it gets adjusted. Please fill this Excel sheet out below so we can check and have an idea.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1685253481

roberto_b

Post by roberto_b » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:37 pm

Hi everyone.

In the EF-ENG panel, there are 47 UK-hosted projects in the main list and 30 in the reserve one.
Do you know exactly what will happen with the EU budget that will be available after excluding the UK projects?