Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by glycoglyco » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:02 pm

Mimi wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:25 am
ella_ wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am
znqm wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:19 am
I think they need to compensate the number of UK proposals dropping each panel. For instance, if 1% of the proposals in the main list of SOC corresponded to UK projects. The budget will go first to the panels having more drop outs and what is left would be proportionally distributed among panels…right ?
No that's probably not how it works, they will want a roughly equal success rate across panels. There's several posts on this forum with sort of plausible scenarios on how the money could be distributed. But also the process is obscure and nobody has the exact numbers of previous years, so they may also want to just redistribute as they please??
I don't know if there is a strategy they will follow: The EU will take priority for the proposals that have no other sources to be funded as a SoE (Seal of Excellence). For example, they will not consider Sweden/Italy-based proposals since they can be funded by Sweden/Italy even though applicants have higher scores. I don't know how it works but seems to be not following the current scores/ranking to determine their decisions. Probably scores in the excellence section may have a greater impact on their decision...
This sounds a bit discriminatory for certain countries, I don't think it will work like that. As I was told by the MSCA Helpdesk, all funding from withdrawals (mainly due to UK situation) will be gathered and redistributed among the panels proportionally to the number of elegible proposals in each panel. Using the new allocation of funding, they will call people from the reserve list. Basically, it's the way they redistribute the funds in the first place but with less budget.

Mimi

Post by Mimi » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:36 pm

znqm wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:49 am
If they expect the same success rate for each panel, to make a rough calculation we would need to know how many UK proposals were submitted to each panel, including those that are not in the main and the reserve lists (though it would be nice to know the RL numbers too)...does anyone know that ? My NCP didn't give me any information...
Please check previous talking in this forum, just go back a few pages where someone has summarized that.

Mimi

Post by Mimi » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:45 pm

glycoglyco wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:02 pm
Mimi wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:25 am
ella_ wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am

No that's probably not how it works, they will want a roughly equal success rate across panels. There's several posts on this forum with sort of plausible scenarios on how the money could be distributed. But also the process is obscure and nobody has the exact numbers of previous years, so they may also want to just redistribute as they please??
I don't know if there is a strategy they will follow: The EU will take priority for the proposals that have no other sources to be funded as a SoE (Seal of Excellence). For example, they will not consider Sweden/Italy-based proposals since they can be funded by Sweden/Italy even though applicants have higher scores. I don't know how it works but seems to be not following the current scores/ranking to determine their decisions. Probably scores in the excellence section may have a greater impact on their decision...
This sounds a bit discriminatory for certain countries, I don't think it will work like that. As I was told by the MSCA Helpdesk, all funding from withdrawals (mainly due to UK situation) will be gathered and redistributed among the panels proportionally to the number of elegible proposals in each panel. Using the new allocation of funding, they will call people from the reserve list. Basically, it's the way they redistribute the funds in the first place but with less budget.
Thanks for your kind response and I also hope they will have a reasonable redistribution strategy. The figure crossed for us in the reserve list.

znqm

Post by znqm » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:52 pm

Does anyone has the data about the number of UK proposals submitted to each panel ? I cannot find that, sorry if it has already been said...but I only found this info about the ML
doppiaf wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:11 pm
emmi wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:49 pm
roberto_b wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:12 pm
Here are the numbers of UK proposals on the ML of the various panels:

EF-CHE 40
EF-ECO 1
EF-ENG 47
EF-ENV 31
EF-LIF 53
EF-MAT 6
EF-PHY 23
EF-SOC 36

On average, each funded project (1110 in total as of 13th Feb 2024 in EF) receives about 199 K
so the budget saved from not funding UK projects should be around 47 M.

Assuming that, on average, the country coeff is around 1.0 for all the submitted projects, there should be
around 300 reserve projects funded in total.
Here are my little calculations.

If we deduct the UK-based ML proposals from the list, each panel will have;

_________Proposal___Percentage_______Distribution of 300 projects
EF-CHE____1034 _____15.1% _______________ 45.3
EF-ECO ____120 _____1.7% ________________5.2
EF-ENG ____969_____14.1% ________________42.5
EF-ENV ____729_____10.6% ________________31.9
EF-LIF ____1523_____22.2% ________________66.7
EF-MAT_____144_____2.1% ________________6.3
EF-PHY ____ 785_____11.4% _______________34.4
EF-SOC____1544_____22.5% _______________67.6

Waiting until June will be stressful, but this gives some idea of what we can expect. Of course, those are all approximate calculations according to the numbers we have at the moment.
Wouldn't the distribution also include the Global Fellowships?

imtaba

Post by imtaba » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:20 pm

Mimi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:35 pm
Hi, I hope everything goes well for you. I just feel weird that you still guess that you are 26th (removing out-of-UK applications) in RL when you have 94 scores with only a 0.6 difference from the cut-off score (94.6 in the SOC panel). If so, you have a very small chance since it is impossible to have 26 EU-based proposals given up. However, I think you should be 26th on the reserve list without removing UK-based proposals. Otherwise, that is very crazy in your panel.
Hello all. First time I am posting here though I have been following the discussions for a while. ! I got 94.2 in EF SOC and am the 19th on the reserve list. My host also told me I should not get frustrated if I will not succeed. I was not that much pessimistic until heard this. That's weird.

emmi

Post by emmi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:04 am

imtaba wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:20 pm
Mimi wrote:
Hi, I hope everything goes well for you. I just feel weird that you still guess that you are 26th (removing out-of-UK applications) in RL when you have 94 scores with only a 0.6 difference from the cut-off score (94.6 in the SOC panel). If so, you have a very small chance since it is impossible to have 26 EU-based proposals given up. However, I think you should be 26th on the reserve list without removing UK-based proposals. Otherwise, that is very crazy in your panel.
Hello all. First time I am posting here though I have been following the discussions for a while. ! I got 94.2 in EF SOC and am the 19th on the reserve list. My host also told me I should not get frustrated if I will not succeed. I was not that much pessimistic until heard this. That's weird.
I think hosts do not have access the UK-based main and reserve list project numbers. Therefore, some of the hosts just says the general list. You should contact NCP and try to learn from them.

With a basic calculation:
1580 proposals submitted for EF-SOC.
95 points and over 237 people
94 points and over 279 people.

Between this numbers there are 42 proposals, and >=94.6 already funded. Therefore, when UK projects remove, your rank automatically goes up and you should be eligiable. I don't understand why your host says something like that. If I am wrong my assumptions, please correct me.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 am

imtaba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I completely understand you. My host has already started discussing a resubmission for this year's call. Of course, I know there are no guarantees, but my feelings quickly shifted from "hey, maybe this is happening" to "oh, for heaven's sake" fast :lol:

Zelitsoy

Post by Zelitsoy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:27 am

gincidentallyinquiry wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 am
imtaba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I completely understand you. My host has already started discussing a resubmission for this year's call. Of course, I know there are no guarantees, but my feelings quickly shifted from "hey, maybe this is happening" to "oh, for heaven's sake" fast :lol:
Same here. They told me that this score would be a good starting point for next year :lol:

Mimi

Post by Mimi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 am

Zelitsoy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:27 am
imtaba wrote:

Same here. They told me that this score would be a good starting point for next year :lol:
Well, best wishes to you and your host for success in getting 2024 MSCA next year.

Mimi

Post by Mimi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 am

imtaba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
That sounds great, so best wishes to you and your host for success in getting 2024 MSCA next year.