2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

glycoglyco

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by glycoglyco » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:41 am

imtaba wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:20 pm
Mimi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:35 pm
Hi, I hope everything goes well for you. I just feel weird that you still guess that you are 26th (removing out-of-UK applications) in RL when you have 94 scores with only a 0.6 difference from the cut-off score (94.6 in the SOC panel). If so, you have a very small chance since it is impossible to have 26 EU-based proposals given up. However, I think you should be 26th on the reserve list without removing UK-based proposals. Otherwise, that is very crazy in your panel.
Hello all. First time I am posting here though I have been following the discussions for a while. ! I got 94.2 in EF SOC and am the 19th on the reserve list. My host also told me I should not get frustrated if I will not succeed. I was not that much pessimistic until heard this. That's weird.
With (I think) 36 UK projects in the main list of EF-SOC, I struggle to understand why the 19th position wouldn't be called... All this process is suspiciously not transparent anyway. I personally still keep hopes!

Mimi

Post by Mimi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:43 am

glycoglyco wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:41 am
imtaba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:35 pm
Hi, I hope everything goes well for you. I just feel weird that you still guess that you are 26th (removing out-of-UK applications) in RL when you have 94 scores with only a 0.6 difference from the cut-off score (94.6 in the SOC panel). If so, you have a very small chance since it is impossible to have 26 EU-based proposals given up. However, I think you should be 26th on the reserve list without removing UK-based proposals. Otherwise, that is very crazy in your panel.
Hello all. First time I am posting here though I have been following the discussions for a while. ! I got 94.2 in EF SOC and am the 19th on the reserve list. My host also told me I should not get frustrated if I will not succeed. I was not that much pessimistic until heard this. That's weird.
With (I think) 36 UK projects in the main list of EF-SOC, I struggle to understand why the 19th position wouldn't be called... All this process is suspiciously not transparent anyway. I personally still keep hopes!
You know, there's a character trait of people who deny themselves (when they actually recognise and believe in themselves internally hahaha) and then gain approval from others, so wish them success next year :P .

ella_

Post by ella_ » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm

Mimi wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:43 am
glycoglyco wrote:
imtaba wrote:

You know, there's a character trait of people who deny themselves (when they actually recognise and believe in themselves internally hahaha) and then gain approval from others, so wish them success next year :P .
I think that is a bit harsh given how the situation is not transparant at all and confusing due to conflicting information, also it may be a bigger life change for some (e.g. those who will have families moving with them) to have to wait until June to get clarity. At least for me it's not the same as waiting until February to hear if you got it or not because the default expectation (in my mind) is rejection, now that's no longer the case.

Mimi

Post by Mimi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:41 pm

ella_ wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm
Mimi wrote:
glycoglyco wrote:

I think that is a bit harsh given how the situation is not transparant at all and confusing due to conflicting information, also it may be a bigger life change for some (e.g. those who will have families moving with them) to have to wait until June to get clarity. At least for me it's not the same as waiting until February to hear if you got it or not because the default expectation (in my mind) is rejection, now that's no longer the case.
Hi, I am not clear about "the default expectation is rejection, now that's no longer the case''. What does it mean :shock: ? Does it mean that there is still hope you think or not?

ella_

Post by ella_ » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:56 pm

Mimi wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:41 pm
ella_ wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm
Mimi wrote:

Hi, I am not clear about "the default expectation is rejection, now that's no longer the case''. What does it mean :shock: ? Does it mean that there is still hope you think or not?
Absolutely, I think that based on the reporting of some that got it in 2022, if they do something similar this year, there's definitely hope. It would make sense to me, but I'm just as poorly informed as the next person here. Especially for those on SOC panel and at place 19 or 26, or any other panel with many apps (e.g. CHEM). I apologise! you probably didn't mean to be sarcastic wishing them good luck for this year.

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:00 am

To me what it feels that when the UK ML candidate will be alloted UKRI that means UK is not going to share it's monetary support towards 2023 MSCA right, then there will be budget cut as well, so it may not be like lot of people are from the RL going to be hoisted.

ella_

Post by ella_ » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am

Panda wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:00 am
To me what it feels that when the UK ML candidate will be alloted UKRI that means UK is not going to share it's monetary support towards 2023 MSCA right, then there will be budget cut as well, so it may not be like lot of people are from the RL going to be hoisted.
This would be logical, but don't you think the budget already excludes the UK contribution? It makes sense to me that if the UK actually associated there would be more money available. This year the budget will be a lot higher and that will probably result in less extremely high (initial) cut-off scores.

emmi

Post by emmi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:26 pm

Panda wrote:
It doesnt matter for 2023 fellowship. The budget had already set and when UK ML proposals excluded, the related funds will be distributed in all panels. So there is no budget cut.

emmi

Post by emmi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:29 pm

ella_ wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am
Panda wrote:
This would be logical, but don't you think the budget already excludes the UK contribution? It makes sense to me that if the UK actually associated there would be more money available. This year the budget will be a lot higher and that will probably result in less extremely high (initial) cut-off scores.
You are right. The last year (2023) call budget was 260M €, but the current call (2024) it has 417M € because of UK association and their contribution. Therefore, almost double the fund and as you said that cut-offs should be lower.

afabris

Post by afabris » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:48 pm

Based on my understanding, the UK does not contribute to the Horizon Europe budget (though it has negotiated access starting from this year). The budget allocated by the Commission is fixed, and this determines the number of grants awarded. At the time of signing, UK hosts will be declared ineligible, and the budget will be reallocated to other projects. There will be no cuts; in fact, it's possible that the Commission may allocate additional funds (as has happened in the past).

emmi wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:29 pm
ella_ wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am
Panda wrote:
You are right. The last year (2023) call budget was 260M €, but the current call (2024) it has 417M € because of UK association and their contribution. Therefore, almost double the fund and as you said that cut-offs should be lower.