Help I lost nearly 50% of my MSCA to taxes

Unlucky one

Help I lost nearly 50% of my MSCA to taxes

Post by Unlucky one » Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 pm

So I filed my taxes because my host paid me net. They combined all three allowances as well as the research cost in one sum. This meant I was deemed on the High pay level and have been taxed a huge amount. I'm especially concerned about my research expenses. I've lost 45% of them to tax. And my mobility and family allowances which are all taxed, leaving very little. The university says that's how they do but I know they didn't do like this for a previous msca fellow. What can I do? Who can help me? I thought this was a generous grant. Thanks

Reetu

Re: Help I lost nearly 50% of my MSCA to taxes

Post by Reetu » Fri May 10, 2024 7:12 pm

Hi, can you inform the country? I also recently got the MSCA PF and trying to understand how to pay taxes. I will join Spain, your country?

PlasmaFuture

Post by PlasmaFuture » Fri May 10, 2024 10:16 pm

Reetu wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:12 pm
Hi, can you inform the country? I also recently got the MSCA PF and trying to understand how to pay taxes. I will join Spain, your country?
Hi. I also don’t quite understand how salaries are formed taking into account taxes. The conditions for paying taxes depend on the specific country.Maybe there is some information about this in the grant agreement? My host is in the UK and the grant agreement is not yet ready.

applyapplyagain

Post by applyapplyagain » Sat May 11, 2024 12:56 pm

Re UK: I've asked the research support staff at my host institution and after going down a rabbit hole they were able to give me an estimate of what my net salary would be. This will depend on the institution as well as on whether you want to opt out of pension contributions -- this makes a huge difference. So I would insist with the research support staff at your host institution that they give you that estimate.
PlasmaFuture wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:16 pm

Hi. I also don’t quite understand how salaries are formed taking into account taxes. The conditions for paying taxes depend on the specific country.Maybe there is some information about this in the grant agreement? My host is in the UK and the grant agreement is not yet ready.

talkingoctupus

Post by talkingoctupus » Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 pm

Reetu wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:12 pm
Curious to know about your experience. I'm submitting a MSCA PF to Spain also, and would like to take this into consideration (net x gross salary).