2017 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2017)

Rapaz

Re: Marie Curie Individual Fellowship Forum

Post by Rapaz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 pm

chaturanga wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 pm
Rapaz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 pm
chaturanga wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 pm
Hi All,

I am planning to submit a proposal this year for the first time. So, I am reading forums and trying to gather information about how to write it. Could you please recommend any site which specifically provides the submitted proposals (if any exists)? Successfully funded or not doesn't matter, they will be an excellent guide in my application. Thanks in advance.
Hi, I wouldn´t recommend sharing ANY successful proposal; UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE.

And it´s not because of egoism or being selfish - it´s just strictly confidential information in many cases and I bet that our Supervisors and Hosting Institutions have the same opinion.

There are many useful guides. Just google "how to write a successful MC proposal" or something like this.
Yes, that is fair enough. Confidentiality is key here, I guess.. I just wanted to hear from the experienced users here. This forum has a good potential!
Yes, this for sure. At some point I wouldn´t mind share some feelings , but in the next 2 weeks it will be complicated. Next deadline is in SEptember :)

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Rapaz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 pm
chaturanga wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 pm
Rapaz wrote:

Hi, I wouldn´t recommend sharing ANY successful proposal; UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE.

And it´s not because of egoism or being selfish - it´s just strictly confidential information in many cases and I bet that our Supervisors and Hosting Institutions have the same opinion.

There are many useful guides. Just google "how to write a successful MC proposal" or something like this.
Yes, that is fair enough. Confidentiality is key here, I guess.. I just wanted to hear from the experienced users here. This forum has a good potential!
Yes, this for sure. At some point I wouldn´t mind share some feelings , but in the next 2 weeks it will be complicated. Next deadline is in SEptember :)
Hey guys, how about organising a video call conference for us to share our experiences and what we think could help future applicants? :) I'd be happy to share some tips...I also used some successful proposals (of my friends though...confidential) for template that really helped me understand how to write the not scientific bits...I think every little tip helps...solidarity :mrgreen:

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 pm

If someone wants to share a successful application is not breaching any confidential rule. I got some in the past and having them was very very useful to me. I don't understand the point.

Rapaz wrote:
chaturanga wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 pm
Hi All,

I am planning to submit a proposal this year for the first time. So, I am reading forums and trying to gather information about how to write it. Could you please recommend any site which specifically provides the submitted proposals (if any exists)? Successfully funded or not doesn't matter, they will be an excellent guide in my application. Thanks in advance.

msca_chem_17

Post by msca_chem_17 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 am

my personal experience is to make sure you address all the points highlighted in the guideline. this might seem painful especially when it comes to outreach activities etc. all you need is to make up something. in my case, i proposed to reach out to local high school students and encourage them to learn chemistry. so i googled some schools in the local area, and said i have already made some arrangements with them to organise special classes to show students the beauty of chemistry should the fellowship being awarded (i didnt contact any schools in fact...). so now you get the drill? a good proposal needs bluffing.

gf-che

Post by gf-che » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 am

msca_chem_17 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 am
my personal experience is to make sure you address all the points highlighted in the guideline. this might seem painful especially when it comes to outreach activities etc. all you need is to make up something. in my case, i proposed to reach out to local high school students and encourage them to learn chemistry. so i googled some schools in the local area, and said i have already made some arrangements with them to organise special classes to show students the beauty of chemistry should the fellowship being awarded (i didnt contact any schools in fact...). so now you get the drill? a good proposal needs bluffing.
And this is why integrity in academia is dead. It shouldn't be necessary, nor acceptable, to outright lie on grant proposals.

Funding agencies (MSCA, and others) place so many demands on researchers that bullshitting is how you get money - not through honesty and truth. Good science and a strong track-record are not sufficient any more.

I worry for this academic culture - we would be naive (no, ignorant) to imagine that bullshitting only happens on proposals. How can we trust the outputs of research, when superficial measures such as IF are so linked to hype, and so important for career progress?

msca_chem_17

Post by msca_chem_17 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 am

gf-che wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 am
msca_chem_17 wrote:
And this is why integrity in academia is dead. It shouldn't be necessary, nor acceptable, to outright lie on grant proposals.

Funding agencies (MSCA, and others) place so many demands on researchers that bullshitting is how you get money - not through honesty and truth. Good science and a strong track-record are not sufficient any more.

I worry for this academic culture - we would be naive (no, ignorant) to imagine that bullshitting only happens on proposals. How can we trust the outputs of research, when superficial measures such as IF are so linked to hype, and so important for career progress?
dont blame me, blame msca or the current academic environment. my previous proposal made a list of outreach activities from giving presentation in host universities and other universities in the host country, to visiting local industry that might be interested in the technology i will develop, to setting up social media accounts to promote the concept. when the comments came up, its like this "outreach activities especially to the broader audiences are not sufficiently described". this comment is total bullshit i reckon, so what can i do other than coming up with some nonsense outreach activities? only in this way, this section will seem long enough to be considered "sufficient". you throw bullshit back when they make bullshit comments.

gf-che

Post by gf-che » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 am

msca_chem_17 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 am
gf-che wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 am
msca_chem_17 wrote:

dont blame me, blame msca or the current academic environment. my previous proposal made a list of outreach activities from giving presentation in host universities and other universities in the host country, to visiting local industry that might be interested in the technology i will develop, to setting up social media accounts to promote the concept. when the comments came up, its like this "outreach activities especially to the broader audiences are not sufficiently described". this comment is total bullshit i reckon, so what can i do other than coming up with some nonsense outreach activities? only in this way, this section will seem long enough to be considered "sufficient". you throw bullshit back when they make bullshit comments.
I do blame the current academic environment. Not you. If everyone else is bullshitting, then you need to do so to survive. Congratulations on your fellowship!

msca_chem_17

Post by msca_chem_17 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:01 am

i got the idea from one winning proposal i came across few years back. in that proposal, the candidate intentionally mentioned she's a female, and how she struggled to thrive in a scientific world dominated by males. she planned to give lectures to local girl's school to encourage them, which i highly doubt she will actually do that. with shit like this happening, it wont surprise me if one day someone attempts to win the fellowship by saying she/he is a lesbian/gay, and she/he will organise activities reaching out to local lgbt community to raise their awareness in science.

laprofesora

Post by laprofesora » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 am

I got it! :shock:

EF ST - SOC Panel
Got ranked on 24/01

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the email. :D

ATBGF2017

Post by ATBGF2017 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am

Congrats!!!
laprofesora wrote: