2017 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2017)

Amar

Re: Marie Curie Individual Fellowship Forum

Post by Amar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 pm

als wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm
This is my third time applying in IF_LIF SCI. The first time I got 90.6 and didn't make it; the second I got 92 and was put on reserve list. It is sooo frustrating!! Especially because the reviewers are different each year... :?
What was the score for funding?
Did you find out what was your number on the reserved list?

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm

laprofesora wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 pm
ANGF wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:37 pm
Hard work will get you so far but we all know from peer review that sometimes we don't express ourselves clearly, reviewers misunderstand our point, we end up in a batch of proposals that are so good that ours seems poor in comparison, or reviewers just don't find our idea interesting. It takes both hard work and luck to get this fellowship.
Very true, I've read a couple of successful proposals in SOC before re-applying and I believe they are very interesting and well-written but they are not genius stuff, nor they are on an unattainable level. Luck is as important as hard work, also if we take into account how evaluation is conducted. :|

Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst :geek:
I agree with you. This is my third attempt, the second with the same project. The first time I just tried, writing a proposal in 10 days, just to understand how it worked. I got 78. The second time, 2 years later, I worked very hard on another project. I got the same score of the first attempt but the difference was in evaluation and comments: more than 40 points, some very detailed and articulated. I got the impression that they discussed the proposal very in deep and in a very professional and constructive way (maybe with some disagreement among evaluators). I am trying again with the same project and I addressed all the weaknesses. I worked very hard again. But reading other winning proposals I got the clear impression that luck plays a very important role here.

als

Post by als » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Amar wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 pm
als wrote:
This is my third time applying in IF_LIF SCI. The first time I got 90.6 and didn't make it; the second I got 92 and was put on reserve list. It is sooo frustrating!! Especially because the reviewers are different each year... :?
What was the score for funding?
Did you find out what was your number on the reserved list?
I think the score was 91.6 the first attempt & 92.2 the second. I didn't find out what number I was on the reserve list.
It's my third time with the same project... fingers crossed for everyone!!

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm

als wrote:
Do you propose for three years now to go to one specific country to do your research? That is perseverance!

als

Post by als » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:07 pm

aberfeldy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm
als wrote:
Do you propose for three years now to go to one specific country to do your research? That is perseverance!
yep..! It would be the best place for me due to my circumstances & because the host is one of the best in the field :D however, I have been lucky and have managed to get other positions in the meantime.

Arale

Post by Arale » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:31 pm

as @als, this is my third time too, but in IF_SOC. First I got 74, the second time 91.8 and I wasn't put on reserve list. I did changes based on reviews... but I hadn't lucky. Now It is my last attempt, but as each year you have new reviewers, you can work hard on the weaknesses, but the new evaluation could find different weaknesses. Hence, Hence, we need some kind of luck too during the review of our projects.

Lucky for everyone!

ANGF

Post by ANGF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm

People said in previous years there is usually maintenance on the website in the days before the announcement. Now I see this in the participant portal:

"Participant Portal Services will be under maintenance on Thursday, 11.01.2018, from 17:30 until 19:00 (CET).
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

However it seems unrealistic that the announcement would be soon since we are over a month before the "final" announcement date on Feb 14th and people here said they only recently answered ethics queries. It would be nice if the announcement came early though, like on the 19th instead of the 27th.

It's always possible that we will have to wait until February 14th!

sci'stache

Post by sci'stache » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

hey, this is my third consecutive year to apply for an IF. This forum is way better than previous years :) Good Job! I believe that you need to have a very good application to get a good score but that is not enough to secure funding. You will need some luck too. There are too many things that count toward your final score. For example, it is my understanding from a former reviewer that it matters if the reviewer reads your proposal first or last. We cannot do anything about this sort of things, just wait and see. I know that it is hard, but look at it from a different perspective: if you win, congrats, you are looking for 2 hectic years to come, if you do not win you are looking for another round of applications to MSCA or similar. So actually, this is the only time that I have left to work in a more relaxed way :?

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 pm

ANGF wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm
People said in previous years there is usually maintenance on the website in the days before the announcement. Now I see this in the participant portal:

"Participant Portal Services will be under maintenance on Thursday, 11.01.2018, from 17:30 until 19:00 (CET).
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

However it seems unrealistic that the announcement would be soon since we are over a month before the "final" announcement date on Feb 14th and people here said they only recently answered ethics queries. It would be nice if the announcement came early though, like on the 19th instead of the 27th.

It's always possible that we will have to wait until February 14th!
Well I send my response to ethics on the 31st December....Could they have taken only 11 days to review it?The documents I provided were not in english so I guess they took some time to translate etc...i have no clue how it works but I doubt announcement will be tomorrow!

pkem

Post by pkem » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 am

Hi Guys

Has anyone checked the old link that gave idea about the status of their MSCA-IF application last year. For me, the phase was Evaluation yesterday and today, it has been changed to Ranking. Probably, the Evaluation phase is over and we can expect results quite early.