2019 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019)

happyOne

Re: Next steps after acceptance

Post by happyOne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:18 pm

AdinaBabesh wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:41 pm
Well, we've just been awarded the Msca so is kind of normal to be empty, didn't have time to grow ...
happyOne wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:39 pm
AdinaBabesh wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Congratulations! I have been informed that the host institution takes care of everything and they will contact you if they need anything from your end. There is another thread on MSCA awardees, maybe we should discuss these issues there.

Hello, I got 93.2 SOC and funded. I'm a happyOne! I'm new here and I'm also interested in knowing about my next steps. . Could not find this MSCA awardees - the only one I found is from MSCA awardess 2019 and it seems very "empty".
All right! ;)

BeaSaletti

Re: 2019 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019)

Post by BeaSaletti » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Anais wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:00 pm
Hi,

You can't get the list, it's confidential information. But you can contact your host country's NCP for your place on the reserve list. I am also SOC with a score of 92 and I am 42nd on the reserve list. You and I won't be funded this year, unfortunately.
BeaSaletti wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Please anybody can explain me how to find the list of the funded project and reserve list?? I got a SOC 91,4 score, I am desperate....
Dear Anais, this is terrible. I am almost 50, with two PhDs, 4 monographs, gave speech at more than 30 international conferences, 6 years of university teaching... but I have no chance to get a job. It was something like my last chance.

Anais

Post by Anais » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:53 pm

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. But you absolutely can not count on this fellowship. It's extremely competitive and the evaluation process has a huge element of randomness to it. You can only hope, but not plan. I hope you get lucky next time around!

BeaSaletti wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:35 pm
Anais wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:00 pm
Hi,

You can't get the list, it's confidential information. But you can contact your host country's NCP for your place on the reserve list. I am also SOC with a score of 92 and I am 42nd on the reserve list. You and I won't be funded this year, unfortunately.
BeaSaletti wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Please anybody can explain me how to find the list of the funded project and reserve list?? I got a SOC 91,4 score, I am desperate....
Dear Anais, this is terrible. I am almost 50, with two PhDs, 4 monographs, gave speech at more than 30 international conferences, 6 years of university teaching... but I have no chance to get a job. It was something like my last chance.

LAVIN1234@1

Post by LAVIN1234@1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 am

Hi guys, I am very sad, with score 57 in Environmental and Geosciences (ENV) panel :oops: :oops:

qoeletcantici

Post by qoeletcantici » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:29 am

Hey guys!
I am looking for some statistics concerning proposal switched from reserve list to main list in the last years, for the panel GF-SOC. Can anyone help me, please?

nikolaidis.fotis

Post by nikolaidis.fotis » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 am

hopefulacademic wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:18 pm
Shapovalov wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 pm
FestivusShadow wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 pm
The potential of the researcher to reach professional independence during the fellowship is not fully evident taking into account the moderate track record and personal achievements.

5 yr PhD and 2 yr post doc experience, 4 patents, 8 first author papers (2 JACS) and a total of 17 papers with a global average impact of 8. If this this qualified as moderate track record then were they planning to award the fellowship to Nobel laureates or what.

Pissed!!!!
Pretty insane.

I do have a follow up question. Did you highlight your publication record in Part B1? Iirc, reviewers are not obliged to see Part B2(where the CV is) while evaluating Part B1.
That is a bit ridiculous. Why would we do part B2 then of the reviewers are not going to read it? If I have to put CV information in B1 than 10 pages does not cut it. I think there are reviewers that simply do not care. Maybe the best is to have a fixed team of reviewers and have monthly deadlines where only a limited nº of people can apply. For example: 1000 applicants per month and every month, 1/12 of the budget is released. The timeline can become shorter than as well. That way you don't have disinterested reviewers working against tight deadlines.
Perhaps your case can be explained by the phrase "MSCA is not a research grant, but a grant for training in research".
In other words, MSCA takes for granted (pun intended) that you have not yet reached professional maturity and independence (whatever it means).

That said, you proved your potentials and your credibility (enriched CV), but have you (convincingly) stated the actions you will take to get better?

Anais

Post by Anais » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am

By that logic, wouldn't 'moderate track record' be an ideal situation for the fellowship? ;-)
nikolaidis.fotis wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 am
hopefulacademic wrote:
Shapovalov wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Pretty insane.

I do have a follow up question. Did you highlight your publication record in Part B1? Iirc, reviewers are not obliged to see Part B2(where the CV is) while evaluating Part B1.
That is a bit ridiculous. Why would we do part B2 then of the reviewers are not going to read it? If I have to put CV information in B1 than 10 pages does not cut it. I think there are reviewers that simply do not care. Maybe the best is to have a fixed team of reviewers and have monthly deadlines where only a limited nº of people can apply. For example: 1000 applicants per month and every month, 1/12 of the budget is released. The timeline can become shorter than as well. That way you don't have disinterested reviewers working against tight deadlines.
Perhaps your case can be explained by the phrase "MSCA is not a research grant, but a grant for training in research".
In other words, MSCA takes for granted (pun intended) that you have not yet reached professional maturity and independence (whatever it means).

That said, you proved your potentials and your credibility (enriched CV), but have you (convincingly) stated the actions you will take to get better?
Last edited by Anais on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmb

Post by scrmb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am

Anais wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am
In that case, wouldn't 'moderate track record' be an ideal situation for the fellowship? ;-)
nikolaidis.fotis wrote:
hopefulacademic wrote:

IIRC, It's about having a great track record relative to the stage in your career, indicating that you'll be able to maximise your opportunity.

happyOne

Post by happyOne » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 am

Hey Guys, things are moving very fast in my process. Since yesterday, my host university already contact me if feel questions (starting date, etc) and I see they have already submitted the GAP in the portal. I'm just not sure if I should be preparing or doing anything at this stage. I was reading about the "The Description Of The Action (DOA)" and I'm don't know if I should prepare it or if my host university will do it....Also, my Ethical report states the "Conditional ethics clearance" and that the "requirements must either be fulfilled before grant signature or become part of the grant agreement". Should I start reviewing my Ethics and prepare this documents? Or normally its fine to leave for after the grant signature? Is there any Guide for researchers undergoing this step? I'm quite lost, if someone can offer me some light here..... Thanks.

Anais

Post by Anais » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:32 am

Makes sense. Thanks!
scrmb wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am
Anais wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am
In that case, wouldn't 'moderate track record' be an ideal situation for the fellowship? ;-)
nikolaidis.fotis wrote:

IIRC, It's about having a great track record relative to the stage in your career, indicating that you'll be able to maximise your opportunity.