2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

marinemicrobe

Re: 2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2020)

Post by marinemicrobe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:14 pm

marinemicrobe wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:06 pm
Star@434 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:53 pm
Steminist wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:08 pm
So it seems like I'm not even in the 50% of applicants in my field.

So this unfortunately makes me feel like shit and a terrible motivation to keep on in academia.
I have the same feeling. I had an idea and my supervisor got a project based on my idea. After interview, I was accepted as a postdoc researcher for that project. but a few days ago he cancelled everything. He even choice someone else for that postdoc position.
Wow :shock: that seems like something that should be illegal. I'm sorry this is happening. One more example of how f*** up the system is (and that's not going to stop any time soon).

I can't believe there are 10,000 devastated researchers today, some of which surely are great, most of which are probably realistically "good enough" (whatever that means) at what they do. And most of them feel like complete crap. Not to mention, some of us are unemployed and not sure how to stay in the system and have the slightest chance at ever getting a job if we're supposed to just write one failing proposal after another while surviving on social aid or personal savings. I'm literally considering asking previous employers if they have data lying around somewhere so I can keep publishing until I (maybe?) manage to get my career going again.

I'm in the RI panel, there are 50% of eligible proposals (~600) that have a score higher than 85 (SOE) based on the table they just published. Minus the ones who got funded, that's about 200 researchers whose project is now deemed "excellent" but "cannot" be funded.

How did we get here? How do we keep going?

Big hugs to all of you who feel down today. I love the positivity of some of the messages here, let's sulk a bit and then move on. This program does not define us (right? :? )
Oh god - this gets even worse in other panels. It's like 500 people (with the SOE but not funded) in the ST-SOC panel :( :( :(

I don't even know what the answers are anymore - I'm just frustrated with the state of things and feeling helpless. So much wasted talent, so much frustration, so many efforts done in vain. (Ok, I'm done being negative now, I'll just go back to submitting my - possibly last - paper).

Hang in there everyone! :)

LateMSCA

Post by LateMSCA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm

Feb 8, 2021 3:20:48 PM
Letters on the results of the evaluation are being sent to applicants. Due to the call size, this process can take up to one week.

THIS IS INSANE!

marinemicrobe

Post by marinemicrobe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm

Shathlia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 pm
marinemicrobe wrote:
Star@434 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:53 pm

I have the same feeling. I had an idea and my supervisor got a project based on my idea. After interview, I was accepted as a postdoc researcher for that project. but a few days ago he cancelled everything. He even choice someone else for that postdoc position.
Wow :shock: that seems like something that should be illegal. I'm sorry this is happening. One more example of how f*** up the system is (and that's not going to stop any time soon).

I can't believe there are 10,000 devastated researchers today, some of which surely are great, most of which are probably realistically "good enough" (whatever that means) at what they do. And most of them feel like complete crap. Not to mention, some of us are unemployed and not sure how to stay in the system and have the slightest chance at ever getting a job if we're supposed to just write one failing proposal after another while surviving on social aid or personal savings. I'm literally considering asking previous employers if they have data lying around somewhere so I can keep publishing until I (maybe?) manage to get my career going again.

I'm in the RI panel, there are 50% of eligible proposals (~600) that have a score higher than 85 (SOE) based on the table they just published. Minus the ones who got funded, that's about 200 researchers whose project is now deemed "excellent" but "cannot" be funded.

Big hugs to all of you who feel down today. I love the positivity of some of the messages here, let's sulk a bit and then move on. This program does not define us (right? :? )
They published a table? Where is this table?

https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... les_en.pdf
Last edited by marinemicrobe on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shathlia

Post by Shathlia » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm

marinemicrobe wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm
Shathlia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 pm
marinemicrobe wrote:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... les_en.pdf

They published a table? Where is this table?
Thanks!!

Mary_dramaqueen

Post by Mary_dramaqueen » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:13 pm
PetetheCat wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:58 pm
livingreef wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:55 pm
On the EC website it now also says "Letters on the results of the evaluation are being sent to applicants. Due to the call size, this process can take up to one week." :(
https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... ePageState

:o :o :o :o

I am appreciative of the work of bureaucrats, but this insane!!
Imagine what the MSCA with a project with the same "quality" of their work today.

So it takes a week to notify rejection emails? I simply lost my hope here. Unbelievable how badly they are managing it
Last edited by Mary_dramaqueen on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no42

Post by no42 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Moskito wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:04 pm
no42 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:26 pm
CountZ wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:39 pm
I received my evaluation report and I am on the reserve list. Someone else also shared theirs with me and they are on the reserve list with these scores:

However, the Impact and Implementation sections both say:

Is removing points but saying that a section has no weaknesses accepted by the European Commission? Would this be grounds for re-evaluation in your opinion or no?
In my opinion, yes. I'd wouldn't agree to take someone's points off without justification, if I was the chair.
The same thing happened to me last year. The NCP told me that is quite common. Even if the reviwers don't spot any particular weakness, they might give you a lower evalutation than 5/5. I agree with you that it seems unfair and it does not help you to prepare a better proposal if you want to apply next year.
Reading all the previous comments in this forum, I doubt the reviewer's opinions mattered at all. But its unfair to lower someone's score without any reasons at all.

knowledgeMSCA

Post by knowledgeMSCA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi to all,

No message from EU commission received yet. Does this fact mean that it is a clear rejection below available funding?

Thank you guys!

tarantula

Post by tarantula » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:20 pm

livingreef wrote:
On the EC website it now also says "Letters on the results of the evaluation are being sent to applicants. Due to the call size, this process can take up to one week." :(
*Janice voice* OH MY GOD!!! :roll:

Fu Manchu

Post by Fu Manchu » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:22 pm

I hope the e-mails are not sent due to surnames alphabetical order. Mine is V, so I will probably have to wait until Friday, lol.
Last edited by Fu Manchu on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little_Venice

Post by Little_Venice » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:22 pm

🤣🤣🤣
tarantula wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:20 pm
livingreef wrote:
*Janice voice* OH MY GOD!!! :roll: