Part-time MSCA

Gyttha

Part-time MSCA

Post by Gyttha » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience on how to implement a reduced hours contract for the MSCA? I was just awarded one (yay!), and I want to work less than full time. I know this is possible, but it is unclear to me how the practicalities work. There does not seem to be an option to specify this in the GAP..? Someone any idea?

Thanks!

iteration

Re: Part-time MSCA

Post by iteration » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:28 am

Very interested about this, especially because they explicitly prohibit starting a company if full time..

Gyttha

Post by Gyttha » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 am

Well since there's an interested party, I'll report what I found out. Part time is possible for professional or family reasons. If for professional, you have to keep detailed an exact time sheets. I don't know more details about that side because for me it's family reasons.

I was referred to this: annotated model grant agreement. The section for individual fellowships starts on page 476 and the part-time arrangements are explained from page 485.
https://ec.europa.eu/research/participa ... mga_en.pdf

In terms of practicalities, you go through the grant agreement protocol as if you're doing full time and then afterwards you apply with your host to the REA to amend the contract to part time. This I got from the contact person at the research office in my host institution, so that'd be the first person I'd ask for details if you want to know more. If they don't know, you can ask your project contact via the portal.

Hope this helps!

iteration

Post by iteration » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks Gyttha, this is info is gold!
Congratulations and best of luck!
Cheers

scottishEuropean

Post by scottishEuropean » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:33 pm

Hi, does anyone know the reasons they accept for personal/family? Do you need to have kids or be sick out can you do part time due to stress, or improved work life balance. Or to be able to visit older parents more regularly? Do they generally accept requests? Thanks

TheTams

Post by TheTams » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:07 pm

I would love to know the answer to this too. I dream of being able to work part time in research and pursue other things outside work that are very important to me. I would love to hear if anyone can say....

AdinaBabesh

Post by AdinaBabesh » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been awarded a MSCA last year, I will start it this September, part time until November 2022.
After this date I will go full time on MSCA. I have been asked by the EC to provide a reasoning. In my case it was professional: I am working in another research project until November 2022 included. I have a contract signed, I don't want to leave my position, especially because it has an important contribution to my career. Therefore, from September 2021 until November 2022, I will be 3/5 days on MSCA, and 2/5 days on the other project.

Good luck,

Adina

scottishEuropean

Post by scottishEuropean » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi, thanks for replying. Did you need to provide a copy of your contract, and could you have continued to stay part-time after that contract ended if you wanted? I am keen to go part-time, as I would like to try to do freelance work on the side to build a longer term employment plan, and also continue with volunteer activities I do within the community which would also act as supplementary training. I am hoping for 60% full time but I am not sure if I will need to provide evidence of the freelance work, as it is something I want to build on as I go and will likely be patchy in occurrence.
Thanks

scottishEuropean

Post by scottishEuropean » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 am

Just wondering if anyone had any more info of implementing the action part-time? Did anyone do this recently?
Thanks!