MSCA-IF Salary in Italy

Steminist

Re: MSCA-IF Salary in Italy

Post by Steminist » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm

And please feel free to join:

https://www.mariecuriealumni.eu/groups/italy-chapter

In any problems, there are a lot of experienced researchers with MSCA in Italy. I am sure they would be glad to help.

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Steminist wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm
And please feel free to join:

https://www.mariecuriealumni.eu/groups/italy-chapter

In any problems, there are a lot of experienced researchers with MSCA in Italy. I am sure they would be glad to help.
Thanks a lot for inviting me. I tried to join the Brazilian chapter, but they asked me for proof of the fellowship (understandable), which I still do not have. By the way, I thought it strange that I can not find, anywhere besides inside the participant's portal, information of approval of our proposal. Considering that it is the same subscription system, I will wait until the GA is signed. Are you with the MCAA IT chapter?

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Steminist wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 pm
vrcota wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm
Steminist wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:10 pm
It also depends on if you are in an institution or university.

IIT does not use assegni contract.
Aha! That's a piece of important information. I will work for IIT, indeed. One thing I do know is that we will sign a type A contract. Do you what is it about?
Type A? Are you sure? Because Type A is a researcher contract in university. You applied with IIT or with uni? It depends on where you will be employed. Because if you are employed by IIT, you will be a collaborative researcher and you will pay min 33% of taxes. First they take around 1000 euros from your salary as employer's tax and later you pay another taxes. But IIT is using a "brain return" system for foreigners so in the end after -1000, you will pay %10 taxes only, which is quite good.
For universities, it's completely less, only %10 of tax without employer's taxes and you will be rich :)
If you are in another place (like a company, hospital, etc), it will be super less (employer's tax + a lot of taxes again) and you can not complain because it's the national rules.
Hope it's clear.
I will sign with IIT. In my portal, the REA officer clearly asked for confirmation that a type A contract will be signed.

rahul

Post by rahul » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 am

Hey, I start an MSCA-IF at INAF in Italy. As much as I know we get a researcher contract for which taxes are typically the same as a full-time employee (41%?) on the personal income. Not sure if the same applies to the mobility allowance as well. I will not get a family allowance. There are other deductions as well so I am expecting a net salary of ~3000 Euro but my expectations have increased looking at the calculations in this thread :D

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 am

Hello again.

I just found an important and complete document regarding taxes in Italy in the most obvious place: Euraxess website. Check this:

https://cdn4.euraxess.org/sites/default ... _italy.pdf

As I understood it, someone, as myself, eligible for family and mobility allowances, the net salary will be from EUR 4099 or EUR 4550, considering that taxation applies or does not apply to allowances, respectively.

There may be municipality taxes too, e.g. 3% solid waste management or a fee proportional to the number of residents. But these are not as relevant as IRPEF which bites the most of the paycheck.

A table for calculation is provided at page 7 of the document. I hope I helped.

Cheers,

HSK00

Post by HSK00 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm

Is it different from university to university?
Thanks

rahul

Post by rahul » Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 am

Well in page 5 of this document it says "Generally speaking, EU fellowships and Assegni di ricerca(Research grants) are IRPEF and IRAP tax free". According to this MSCA should be tax free as well.

I also got to know from a MSCA fellow working in a University that they make a contract called "Assegno di ricerca" and it is exempt from the personal income tax (IRPEF), but one has to pay 1/3 of the INPS social security contributions. So the fellowship is around 4000 Euro (living+mobility allowance only) for a MSCA at the university. Not sure if rules differ from University to University or in research Institutes - as mentioned in some of the posts here.

vrcota wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 am
Hello again.

I just found an important and complete document regarding taxes in Italy in the most obvious place: Euraxess website. Check this:

https://cdn4.euraxess.org/sites/default ... _italy.pdf

As I understood it, someone, as myself, eligible for family and mobility allowances, the net salary will be from EUR 4099 or EUR 4550, considering that taxation applies or does not apply to allowances, respectively.

There may be municipality taxes too, e.g. 3% solid waste management or a fee proportional to the number of residents. But these are not as relevant as IRPEF which bites the most of the paycheck.

A table for calculation is provided at page 7 of the document. I hope I helped.

Cheers,

HSK00

Post by HSK00 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Did anyone sign his contract with the host institution in Italy?

vrcota

Post by vrcota » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:20 pm

Hi everybody.

I found the last webinar from the European Commission regarding the lifecycle of funded projects profoundly clarifying. If you missed it, here is the link: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/making-the ... fellowship

I hope you guys find it useful.

cdemente

Post by cdemente » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am

iteration wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 am
They were just back of the envelope calculations, there may be other small deductions.
Basically, for an assegno di ricerca contract (no income tax, only pension deductions to INPS gestione separata 34.23%), I would expect:

Living: EUR 4,880 * 1,044 = 5,094.72 (*adjusted for Italy)
+
Mobility: EUR 600
+
Family: EUR 500
=

6194.72 * 0.6577 = 4074.27 NET ..more or less..
I am not sure if the country coefficient is also applied to mobility and family allowance, in this case the total would be slightly higher.

I may have neglected other costs, etc.
So I suggest you to ask your host institution, I may have missed something.
I am not quite sure that this is how it actually works. The Living + Mobility + Family Allowance is not your gross salary, but the money they pay your University to cover the COST of your salary. The employer usually has to pay their own taxes for the worker, you then get your GROSS, and then you pay your own taxes, and that's your NET.

For instance, in my case (I was awarded a MSCA-IF in the Netherlands), Living + Mobility + Family = 5.865 €. My GROSS salary, after the University covers the COST of my contact, is around 3.700€, and my NET, after my individual taxes, is around 3.100€.