2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Cr@zyChem

Re: 2021 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2021)

Post by Cr@zyChem » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 pm

I have some practical questions regarding this fellowship, maybe you guys can help me:
1) the mobility allowance for us to move to the country is given upon arrival to that country (as some kind of reimbursement) or they actually pay up so one can buy plane tickets and stuff?
2) in my home country, fellowships are not taxed, but I heard they are in Spain, is it directly deducted from the monthly payment? If so, does anybody have any idea how much one gets in hand? I've heard someone saying the taxation gets close to 40%, if so, this fellowship is not as competitive (money-wise) as they led us to believe, right?
3) As I've never been to Europe, how expensive is it to live in Madrid?

UKR

Post by UKR » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:27 pm

Did you get it?
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 pm
I have some practical questions regarding this fellowship, maybe you guys can help me:
1) the mobility allowance for us to move to the country is given upon arrival to that country (as some kind of reimbursement) or they actually pay up so one can buy plane tickets and stuff?
2) in my home country, fellowships are not taxed, but I heard they are in Spain, is it directly deducted from the monthly payment? If so, does anybody have any idea how much one gets in hand? I've heard someone saying the taxation gets close to 40%, if so, this fellowship is not as competitive (money-wise) as they led us to believe, right?

HQA_MSCA

Post by HQA_MSCA » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
The taxes in Spain are applied by segments on your annual salary. In the first tier (up to 12.450 €) they tax you by some percentage (19%). The amount which exceeds that first tier (between 12.450 € and 20.200 €) is taxed by another percentage (24%). The next tier (up to 35.000 €) is taxed by 30%. Taxes are paid monthly.

Does this mean you have news on your results? The Spanish NCP is giving the info? :lol:

alherpo

Post by alherpo » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 pm

Cr@zyChem wrote:
It mostly depends on the university. If the fellowship is considered salary (most likely), you will have to pay around 40% of the living allowance. If it is considered grant, then it is mostly tax free. Madrid is one of the most expensive cities in Spain. You can pay around 1000€ per month to rent a flat for you. If you share, it is cheaper.

It could be worse.. I have a friend with the fellowship (MSCA 2019) in Belgium that has as net salary 1950€ from the living allowance. More than 50% are taxes...

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:40 pm

UKR wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:27 pm
Did you get it?
Cr@zyChem wrote:
Huahuahauahaua.... No, just practicing wishful thinking! Actually I am so much spiriling out of my mind that I am looking for problems even if I get it! Lol

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:41 pm

HQA_MSCA wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
The taxes in Spain are applied by segments on your annual salary. In the first tier (up to 12.450 €) they tax you by some percentage (19%). The amount which exceeds that first tier (between 12.450 € and 20.200 €) is taxed by another percentage (24%). The next tier (up to 35.000 €) is taxed by 30%. Taxes are paid monthly.

Does this mean you have news on your results? The Spanish NCP is giving the info? :lol:
Thank you very much for the detailed info!

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:43 pm

alherpo wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 pm
Cr@zyChem wrote:
It mostly depends on the university. If the fellowship is considered salary (most likely), you will have to pay around 40% of the living allowance. If it is considered grant, then it is mostly tax free. Madrid is one of the most expensive cities in Spain. You can pay around 1000€ per month to rent a flat for you. If you share, it is cheaper.

It could be worse.. I have a friend with the fellowship (MSCA 2019) in Belgium that has as net salary 1950€ from the living allowance. More than 50% are taxes...
Jesus!!!!! 1000 euros for rent?!
Holy cow, is everybody rich there?

Cr@zyChem

Post by Cr@zyChem » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:45 pm

I am so much practicing wishful thinking that I've selected only Spanish movies to watch this upcoming days and pick up on the language a little bit...
I'll either celebrate or curse in Spanish (the language sounds amazing! So musical)

MSCCCCCC

Post by MSCCCCCC » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:47 pm

and that's Southern Europe... Northern Europe is even more expensive ...

segokucing

Post by segokucing » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:51 pm

Got the right concentration of alcohol in my blood. Getting ready for the bad news :lol: