HE-MSCA-PF-2021: Flight tickets to the host institute and first rent

St_Remy

HE-MSCA-PF-2021: Flight tickets to the host institute and first rent

Post by St_Remy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:19 am

I would like to start a thread about the flight tickets to the host institute to start the fellowship, as well as payment of the first month rent. What I understood during the MSCA info session was that fellows would be responsible for these expenses; which for fellows with families could be quite daunting. How are the new fellows navigating these issues?

griffin

Re: HE-MSCA-PF-2021: Flight tickets to the host institute and first rent

Post by griffin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:33 pm

Hi St_Remy, I found this presentation here with a lot of info https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/making-the ... fellowship . It is a very long presentation, and I remember that -at some point- the presenter talks about your question.

As I understood, your institution will receive almost the total of your budget before you arrive there. So, you should talk to your host and ask for the 'mobility allowance' to be paid to you upfront, to cover costs related to the renting contract. (so, those costs are on you)

About the costs related to plane tickets: That could (COULD) be reimbursed to you by the host. The host could (COULD) take that under B.1 expenses from their " Research, training and networking contribution " budget. This is what I understood from the presentation. But I don't think this is a widely accepted understanding. We will probably need to negotiate with the host to get the flight tickets paid from the " Research, training and networking contribution " budget.

From 2021 MSCA description (a presentation from PERIN: Portugal in Europe Research and Innovation Network)

it reads:

The Research, Training and Networking costs contribution should cover:
• costs for training and networking activities that contribute directly to the
• researchers’ career development (e.g. participation in conferences, trips related to work on the action, training, language courses, seminars, lab material, books, library records, publication costs, research expenses)
• visa-related fees and travel expenses, additional costs arising from optional secondments (e.g. travel and accommodation costs).

Please, let us know if you find out more information about the flight tickets.

FairEnough

Post by FairEnough » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:32 am

Could you share with us guys if the cost of flight ticket of the candidate and his family covered by MSCA or the university?
griffin wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:33 pm
Hi St_Remy, I found this presentation here with a lot of info https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/making-the ... fellowship . It is a very long presentation, and I remember that -at some point- the presenter talks about your question.

As I understood, your institution will receive almost the total of your budget before you arrive there. So, you should talk to your host and ask for the 'mobility allowance' to be paid to you upfront, to cover costs related to the renting contract. (so, those costs are on you)

About the costs related to plane tickets: That could (COULD) be reimbursed to you by the host. The host could (COULD) take that under B.1 expenses from their " Research, training and networking contribution " budget. This is what I understood from the presentation. But I don't think this is a widely accepted understanding. We will probably need to negotiate with the host to get the flight tickets paid from the " Research, training and networking contribution " budget.

From 2021 MSCA description (a presentation from PERIN: Portugal in Europe Research and Innovation Network)

it reads:

The Research, Training and Networking costs contribution should cover:
• costs for training and networking activities that contribute directly to the
• researchers’ career development (e.g. participation in conferences, trips related to work on the action, training, language courses, seminars, lab material, books, library records, publication costs, research expenses)
• visa-related fees and travel expenses, additional costs arising from optional secondments (e.g. travel and accommodation costs).

Please, let us know if you find out more information about the flight tickets.

St_Remy

Post by St_Remy » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:29 am

Update:

I was able to conclusively finalize the flight arrangements with my host university. The conclusion is that the fellow's flight ticket and visa costs are covered by the RTN cost of the grant. But, the fellow would have to personally purchase the tickets & visa first, and then reimbursed later. Please, note that other costs such as the fellow's family flight tickets & visa as well as accommodation are the responsibilities of the fellow.

FairEnough

Post by FairEnough » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:18 am

Thank you very much for the answer St_Remy

Appreciated!!
St_Remy wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:29 am
Update:

I was able to conclusively finalize the flight arrangements with my host university. The conclusion is that the fellow's flight ticket and visa costs are covered by the RTN cost of the grant. But, the fellow would have to personally purchase the tickets & visa first, and then reimbursed later. Please, note that other costs such as the fellow's family flight tickets & visa as well as accommodation are the responsibilities of the fellow.