MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

trina_80

Re: MSCA RESERVE LIST 2021

Post by trina_80 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 am

melk wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:31 am
It seems to be the case, indeed. This is explained in the UKRI guidance for the UK-based applicants.

https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads ... arch22.pdf

15.What happens to my grant if the UK formally associates to Horizon Europe after the UKRI guarantee has been applied to my project?
UK participants who have received a UKRI grant under the guarantee will remain on the UKRI grant for the lifetime of the grant, subject to UKRI terms and conditions.

However, we don’t know if the application of the UKRI guarantee means singing the grant agreement or start making payments, it may be one year delay between these two steps.
trina_80 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:07 pm
Thank you! Yes, the ERC fellows can already decide. As for the MSCA successful candidates with UK hosts, they said that they estimate that the signing of contracts with UKRI may begin after May 15. So I'm not sure what will happen once they do begin to sign the contracts, but I'm assuming they will automatically turn down the MSCA...
Thank you for sharing that! During the webinar that we've talked about a while ago they also mentioned that UKRI will cover the whole expected duration of the grant, not just until UK associates with Horizon Europe (if that ultimately happens). But you are right, given that they already recommended applicants delayed the signing of the contracts for as long as possible, they may also find a way to create a "buffer period" during which applicants could still switch to MSCA. But I am fairly certain that this period cannot extend over the official deadline for the signing of the contracts for MSCA, which is June 14. The EC made it quite clear that if the association between UK and HE is not formalized by then, applicants with UK hosts will become ineligible.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:25 am

Also, guys, check out this conference scheduled for June 22nd: https://www.westminsterforumprojects.co ... l-Rsrch-22
My guess is that they don't expect a speedy association, given that on the agenda of a conference they planned for the second half of June there are topics such as:
"European research funding - priorities for UK researchers, and exploring alternative funding arrangements"
and
"Deepening cooperation and the future of research relationships in the event of non-association"

CristinaR

Post by CristinaR » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:46 am

Hi! yes I got 92.8 in CHE and the cut off is also 92.8. I talked with the NCP and told me that I am the second on the reserve list, so I am crossing my finders hoping good news!
Morgan92 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 am
IndoGeek wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:56 am
Anyone here who has got the cut-off score BUT still placed in the reserve list of their panel?
Hi

My score is 92.8 in EF-ENG in the reserve list.

Morgan92

Post by Morgan92 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:54 pm

CristinaR wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:46 am
Hi! yes I got 92.8 in CHE and the cut off is also 92.8. I talked with the NCP and told me that I am the second on the reserve list, so I am crossing my finders hoping good news!
Morgan92 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 am
IndoGeek wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:56 am
Anyone here who has got the cut-off score BUT still placed in the reserve list of their panel?
Hi

My score is 92.8 in EF-ENG in the reserve list.
Hi
I think we may hear something after June 14th. Finger crossed.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:01 pm

Hey, guys! Remember that we were talking a while back about the fact that if UK does associate with Horizon Europe there might be a boost in the budget, given that they (probably) didn't contribute their share yet? Well, in a very recent response given by the UK government to a report by the Scottish Affairs Committee (here: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... eport.html) it is mentioned that:

The Trade and Cooperation Agreement contains clear provisions ensuring that the UK Government does not pay for parts of the programme we are excluded from. Our first payment will be made only once we have associated with the EU programmes agreed to in the Trade and Cooperation Agreement. The terms we have agreed ensure our financial contribution is fair and appropriate and participation represents a real benefit to British people and industry.

As set out at SR 2021, in the event that the UK is unable to associate with Horizon Europe, the funding put aside for Horizon association will go to UK schemes, including those which would form partnerships internationally.

So, again, maybe more people on the reserve list will end up getting funded this year regardless of whether UK does finalize the association with Horizon Europe or not. ;)

melk

Post by melk » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks trina for the clarification! I imagine they still needed to pay a participation fee covering the administrative work and the evaluation process to be able to apply... anyway, bigger budget would be a good news for all of us!

IndoGeek

Post by IndoGeek » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:52 am

Anyone here from EF-ECO panel in the reserve list?

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 am

melk wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:21 pm
Thanks trina for the clarification! I imagine they still needed to pay a participation fee covering the administrative work and the evaluation process to be able to apply... anyway, bigger budget would be a good news for all of us!
Hey, you're welcome! ;) Yes, I assume they did pay some participation fee, but the largest "chunk" of the budget is still "put aside".
And to keep our live updates section very much alive, check out this transcript of a debate that took place yesterday in the House of Lords: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/202 ... rchCouncil
Enjoy! :roll:

emancipatedcity

Post by emancipatedcity » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:15 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 am
melk wrote:
Hey, you're welcome! ;) Yes, I assume they did pay some participation fee, but the largest "chunk" of the budget is still "put aside".
And to keep our live updates section very much alive, check out this transcript of a debate that took place yesterday in the House of Lords: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/202 ... rchCouncil
Interesting discussion here, thanks for sharing!
"Baroness McIntosh of Pickering
(Con)
My Lords, I thank my noble friend for making good the shortfall if we are not remaining part of the Horizon programme. But does he accept that universities have benefited from match funding from other universities in other member states and that that is going to be lost? Do the Government intend to replace that with other establishments from outside the European Union?

Lord Callanan
(Con)
I am afraid I do not understand the point my noble friend is making; there is no shortfall as such. The UK pays its fair share for our participation in Horizon and has always done so, and a similar amount of money will be made available in the future if association proves impossible."

gigi-7

Post by gigi-7 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:56 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 am
melk wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing this.
It does sounds like in both cases people from the reserve list have higher chances to be contacted this year.

On another note, it is very sad to read how some tory Minister does not understand how bad would be for researchers and research if the UK did not associate.