moghri.m

Re: Successful UK applicants_ UK's association to HE

Post by moghri.m » Tue May 31, 2022 8:26 pm

trina_80 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:58 pm
moghri.m wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:07 am
Hi guys!

The Je-S portal for MSCA successful applicants is finally open now. But, I suppose, it makes everything more complicated for projects which are about to start.

My project's start date is July 1st. Yet there is no grant award letter from UKRI, let alone a visa to the UK (since the Global Talent Visa requires, first of all, endorsement of the grant by the funder). Do you have any idea how projects in my situation can be started on time or at least with not too much delay?!

Thanks,
Mohsen
Hey, Mohsen!

Here: https://www.ukri.org/publications/horiz ... izonEurope check out the document "How to apply for guarantee funding for MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships 2021"

It is mentioned that:

"UKRI will acknowledge the submission and conduct checks on the documents you have submitted. If the cost totals do not match the MSCA proposal, or any mandatory attachments are missing, your submission will be returned in Je-S to correct these and re-submit.

Once UKRI has processed the submission, a grant offer letter will be issued containing UKRI terms and conditions relevant to the financial and reporting aspects of the programme of work within the project. These will include the additional grant conditions, as explained below."

I am not sure about the timeline. Also, they only mention the latest start date - "UKRI will allow a latest start date of 1st September 2023", but not the earliest. However, you can send them an email and ask.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
P.S.: This (from the same document) may be of interest to you as well:
"The timing of payments will follow UKRI's standard quarterly pay runs for research grants. You may wish to consider this when deciding the start date of your guarantee grant, which does not need to match the start date in the original MSCA proposal."
Thank you so much, Trina, for your comprehensive reply. As you mentioned, there is no clear information about the start date. And I got a more obscure response when I asked them by email. I suppose I should just wait until my application is processed by the UKRI so then I can apply for a visa to the UK.

trina_80

Post by trina_80 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 am

moghri.m wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:26 pm
trina_80 wrote:
moghri.m wrote:
Hi guys!

The Je-S portal for MSCA successful applicants is finally open now. But, I suppose, it makes everything more complicated for projects which are about to start.

My project's start date is July 1st. Yet there is no grant award letter from UKRI, let alone a visa to the UK (since the Global Talent Visa requires, first of all, endorsement of the grant by the funder). Do you have any idea how projects in my situation can be started on time or at least with not too much delay?!

Thanks,
Mohsen
Hey, Mohsen!

Here: https://www.ukri.org/publications/horiz ... izonEurope check out the document "How to apply for guarantee funding for MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships 2021"

It is mentioned that:

"UKRI will acknowledge the submission and conduct checks on the documents you have submitted. If the cost totals do not match the MSCA proposal, or any mandatory attachments are missing, your submission will be returned in Je-S to correct these and re-submit.

Once UKRI has processed the submission, a grant offer letter will be issued containing UKRI terms and conditions relevant to the financial and reporting aspects of the programme of work within the project. These will include the additional grant conditions, as explained below."

I am not sure about the timeline. Also, they only mention the latest start date - "UKRI will allow a latest start date of 1st September 2023", but not the earliest. However, you can send them an email and ask.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
"The timing of payments will follow UKRI's standard quarterly pay runs for research grants. You may wish to consider this when deciding the start date of your guarantee grant, which does not need to match the start date in the original MSCA proposal."
Thank you so much, Trina, for your comprehensive reply. As you mentioned, there is no clear information about the start date. And I got a more obscure response when I asked them by email. I suppose I should just wait until my application is processed by the UKRI so then I can apply for a visa to the UK.
My pleasure. ;) I wish you the best of luck with everything!

karbonnom

Post by karbonnom » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:45 pm

moghri.m wrote:
trina_80 wrote:
moghri.m wrote:
Hi guys!

Thanks,
Mohsen
Hey, Mohsen!

It is mentioned that:

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Hi,
My project start date should be Jul 25 but it was postponed until Sep 1 which according to our uni grant manager is the most realistic. She also shared me this info:
15. How long will it take for the grant offers to be issued after submission?
For grants hosted on IFS the anticipated turnaround time is around 30 days, if all the
required information is submitted correctly. The process may take up to 90 days if
additional information is required, depending on how quickly the additional
information is provided. UKRI will always aim to prioritise those whose requested
grant start date is due soonest, as far as possible. For Je-S grants the anticipated
time to grant offer is around 7 weeks; again, those looking to start their awards
soonest will be prioritised, as far as possible.

So the Je-S processing takes 7 weeks (but you can be prioritised if you ask the host institution to do it!) and there are still logistical concerns within the uni, so realistically, one can only apply for GTV earliest mid-July. I am already employed by my host institution, so they will just extend my skilled 2 working visa until the end of Aug then I switch to GTV. I can also start on the project itself while waiting for my GTV to be processed (UK in-country processing takes slower but as long as it's submitted it should be ok). If you are coming from another country and depending on how difficult it is to get an appointment, you might as well be looking to start earliest Sep 1 or even later. Just my two cents!

for the complete guidance: https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads ... ay2022.pdf

Hope this helps!

moghri.m

Post by moghri.m » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm

karbonnom wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:45 pm
moghri.m wrote:
trina_80 wrote:

Hey, Mohsen!

It is mentioned that:

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Hi,
My project start date should be Jul 25 but it was postponed until Sep 1 which according to our uni grant manager is the most realistic. She also shared me this info:
15. How long will it take for the grant offers to be issued after submission?
For grants hosted on IFS the anticipated turnaround time is around 30 days, if all the
required information is submitted correctly. The process may take up to 90 days if
additional information is required, depending on how quickly the additional
information is provided. UKRI will always aim to prioritise those whose requested
grant start date is due soonest, as far as possible. For Je-S grants the anticipated
time to grant offer is around 7 weeks; again, those looking to start their awards
soonest will be prioritised, as far as possible.

So the Je-S processing takes 7 weeks (but you can be prioritised if you ask the host institution to do it!) and there are still logistical concerns within the uni, so realistically, one can only apply for GTV earliest mid-July. I am already employed by my host institution, so they will just extend my skilled 2 working visa until the end of Aug then I switch to GTV. I can also start on the project itself while waiting for my GTV to be processed (UK in-country processing takes slower but as long as it's submitted it should be ok). If you are coming from another country and depending on how difficult it is to get an appointment, you might as well be looking to start earliest Sep 1 or even later. Just my two cents!

for the complete guidance: https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads ... ay2022.pdf

Hope this helps!
Wow, karbonnom! This information was really helpful and unfortunate at the same time. We must be so patient, in that case. Thank you so much for sharing that.