2022 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2022)

KathyHappy

Re: 2022 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship (HE-MSCA-PF-2022)

Post by KathyHappy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:31 pm

teddyberry wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:27 pm
Kaepirinha wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:45 am
Guys, I start to feel nervous about the results..come on..they have already evaluated...publish them!
Same here. I spent half of the year preparing the proposal with my potential host. I received the news that I was not selected as another fellowship (backup plan) recipient this week. This means, if I fail to get MSCA, I have to find another professor, and worst scenario, it will take at least half a year to find a postdoc position. :| :| I fear for my future now.
I totally relate bro. I'm basically in the same situation here, have been waiting like more than one year or even two to find a postdoc position, and still no good news. It's so frustrating

CGN

Post by CGN » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 pm

KathyHappy wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:31 pm
teddyberry wrote:
Kaepirinha wrote:
Guys, I start to feel nervous about the results..come on..they have already evaluated...publish them!
Same here. I spent half of the year preparing the proposal with my potential host. I received the news that I was not selected as another fellowship (backup plan) recipient this week. This means, if I fail to get MSCA, I have to find another professor, and worst scenario, it will take at least half a year to find a postdoc position. :| :| I fear for my future now.
I totally relate bro. I'm basically in the same situation here, have been waiting like more than one year or even two to find a postdoc position, and still no good news. It's so frustrating
I feel comforted by reading your messages. My first post doc fellowship after the PhD (1 year only) is ending next August. I applied to 2 Assistant Professor positions, non tenured (3 +2 years), and I will know the results in February. In 2021 I was ranked 2nd in a tenured Assistant Professor job interview but after that I only found the current post-doc :(

I will soon turn 41 and I don't want to go back to industry :x

teddyberry

Post by teddyberry » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:22 pm

KathyHappy wrote:
teddyberry wrote:
Kaepirinha wrote:
Most professors recommend applying for an external research grant (which is good for our academic career) but that's not guaranteed. I believe everyone here stays in academia because of their passion for science, but is it going to be worth it? I start to question myself now but the truth is, at this stage, I don't have any other option.

teddyberry

Post by teddyberry » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm

CGN wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 pm
KathyHappy wrote:
teddyberry wrote:

I feel comforted by reading your messages. My first post doc fellowship after the PhD (1 year only) is ending next August. I applied to 2 Assistant Professor positions, non tenured (3 +2 years), and I will know the results in February. In 2021 I was ranked 2nd in a tenured Assistant Professor job interview but after that I only found the current post-doc :(

I hope you will receive good news soon! If you get both (MSCA and Assistant Prof) (fingers cross), I wonder which one will you choose?

CGN

Post by CGN » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:37 pm

teddyberry wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm
CGN wrote:
KathyHappy wrote:

I hope you will receive good news soon! If you get both (MSCA and Assistant Prof) (fingers cross), I wonder which one will you choose?
I believe from this year it is possible to keep both by choosing the part-time option. If I had to choose, I would go for the Assistant Professorship as it is higher in academic ranking, meaning it is valued more in the CV :) But really, I think it is impossible for me to get the MSCA, my project is too interdiciplinary and I read in a paper that this is causing lower scores https://elifesciences.org/articles/59338

Fred_Keningau

Post by Fred_Keningau » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:49 pm

teddyberry wrote:
Kaepirinha wrote:
Sorry to hear that. I don't want to lie. If I'm not successful with this round I'll be a bit disappointed. I started contacting my host lab (since Jan 2021) during my final PhD year only to know that the new MSCA guideline under Horizon Europe will only accept applicants who have gotten their PhD awarded by the application deadline. Then last year I took the initiative to meet the supervisor and visited the host lab. I spent months preparing the proposal, day and night, rewording every sentence, watching all recorded MSCA sessions on YouTube and even asking 8 peoples including a previous MSCA winner to review my proposal. I don't have a backup plan as of now. Counting days, 135/153 days :o
Last edited by Fred_Keningau on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred_Keningau

Post by Fred_Keningau » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:08 pm

CGN wrote:
KathyHappy wrote:
teddyberry wrote:

Me too, I am turning 40 this year and the time is ticking. I got my PhD last year and now I am employed as a postdoc in the same lab and my supervisor has just offered me another 2 years contract. The thing is, I am not growing academically/ intellectually in this lab as there is nothing much more to learn. I want to pursue my own research niche and in order to do this is by moving to a new lab (which is the lab that I chose for my MSCA application).

teddyberry

Post by teddyberry » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:25 pm

Fred_Keningau wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:08 pm
CGN wrote:
KathyHappy wrote:

Me too, I am turning 40 this year and the time is ticking. I got my PhD last year and now I am employed as a postdoc in the same lab and my supervisor has just offered me another 2 years contract. The thing is, I am not growing academically/ intellectually in this lab as there is nothing much more to learn. I want to pursue my own research niche and in order to do this is by moving to a new lab (which is the lab that I chose for my MSCA application).
I left my previous post-doc position because of the same reason. Sadly, this MSCA will be a "make-it or break-it" for many of us. But, let's keep our faith until The Day (said by someone who is now panicking, making a list of professor and their research group). :( :? :roll:

alex_CS

Post by alex_CS » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:37 pm

The article you shared cited another study focused on other funding calls in another geographic area. The authors, I guess, are only hypothesising. It could happen, but it would be quite contradictory to the MSCA call. There is hope to us!!!!!
CGN wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:37 pm
teddyberry wrote:
CGN wrote:

I believe from this year it is possible to keep both by choosing the part-time option. If I had to choose, I would go for the Assistant Professorship as it is higher in academic ranking, meaning it is valued more in the CV :) But really, I think it is impossible for me to get the MSCA, my project is too interdiciplinary and I read in a paper that this is causing lower scores https://elifesciences.org/articles/59338

josimau

Post by josimau » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:38 pm

CGN wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:37 pm
teddyberry wrote:
CGN wrote:

No need to panic AT ALL!

When I was "I read in a paper that this is causing lower scores" my mind went 'SAY WHAT?!', because interdisciplinarity is a key issue from MSCA proposal and all the consultants and training people materials on MSCA highlights that for us all the time. Hence, it did not make seen and I was sceptical. However, I clicked on the link and read the paper. The only part in which they mention interdisciplinarity is in the introduction - so they just mention the issue, en passant, referring to two studies that have nothing to do with EU or MSCA. The paper's results do not approach 'interdisciplinarity'. So, as I said, not deed to panic! :D