2019 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019)

skarimg

Re: 2019 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2019)

Post by skarimg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:46 pm

galachou wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:17 pm
To alleviate some of the confusion about the phase EVALUATION vs RANKING on the outofdateproposal link:

I went from SUBMISSION to EVALUATION to RANKING in the span of 30 min yesterday. Proposal number: 890XXX, RI panel. First time applying.
Same situation. I'm RANKING, RI panel. First-timer. Proposal number: 883***

I'm obviously want to get funded, but I also intrigued about what the reviewers have to say about my proposal and how they scored it, even if I don't get funded I'm just incredibly curious.

Good luck to you'all from Florida!

chaturanga

Post by chaturanga » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Me too. First timer. Currently Ranking. RI panel. Trying re-integrate after 12 years in the States :? Hi to all from Boston, MA :D

skarimg wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:46 pm
galachou wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:17 pm
To alleviate some of the confusion about the phase EVALUATION vs RANKING on the outofdateproposal link:

I went from SUBMISSION to EVALUATION to RANKING in the span of 30 min yesterday. Proposal number: 890XXX, RI panel. First time applying.
Same situation. I'm RANKING, RI panel. First-timer. Proposal number: 883***

I'm obviously want to get funded, but I also intrigued about what the reviewers have to say about my proposal and how they scored it, even if I don't get funded I'm just incredibly curious.

Good luck to you'all from Florida!

AnnaMC

Post by AnnaMC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:09 pm

On another note, leaving speculation aside juuuust for a while, lets talk about something else that might be helpful to other applicants or even us, if we are rejected ( :? ) and decide to resubmit (hopefully not but the statistics don't help at all hahah :lol: :lol: ).

How long did it take you to write up the whole thing? For me it was almost a full two months. Also, did your host institution and potential supervisor help you out drafting/reviewing your proposal, and how much? For instance. this is my second attempt with a basically new proposal and host-institution as well as supervisor. In my first attempt the institution did help, sending some guidelines and providing advice and feedback, but the supervisor gave no feedback AT ALL... this time the supervisor and host reviewed the proposal and proposed some things.

I hope that my luck will change this time around!!

LUCK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING HERE GUYS

I am crossing, not just my fingers, but also my cats' paws!!!

Kitten

Post by Kitten » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:18 pm

haha! my paws are crossed too!! The Fellow and I have collaborated very closely and both institutions have poured all their funding expertise into it - scored 91.2% first time, and now this is the 4th time we are submitting so even though it's great and had all the skill in the world poured into it, we still haven't got it, and really don't think we will this time. It really depends on whether the reviewers like the idea and last time we had NO weaknesses on impact, yet scored 4.7 (it scored 5 on previous occasions) - so no rhyme or reason to scoring. I wish everyone the best but be prepared for the REJECT in inbox as it can be very demoralising when you have spent 3 months of the last 4 summers working on it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anais

Post by Anais » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Just popping in with a friendly reminder for Kitten :=)

g]Image[/img]
Kitten wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:18 pm
haha! my paws are crossed too!! The Fellow and I have collaborated very closely and both institutions have poured all their funding expertise into it - scored 91.2% first time, and now this is the 4th time we are submitting so even though it's great and had all the skill in the world poured into it, we still haven't got it, and really don't think we will this time. It really depends on whether the reviewers like the idea and last time we had NO weaknesses on impact, yet scored 4.7 (it scored 5 on previous occasions) - so no rhyme or reason to scoring. I wish everyone the best but be prepared for the REJECT in inbox as it can be very demoralising when you have spent 3 months of the last 4 summers working on it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Attachments
IMG_20200129_212435.jpg
IMG_20200129_212435.jpg (191.46 KiB) Viewed 7973 times

Kenniz

Post by Kenniz » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 pm

Kitten wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:18 pm
so what was the problem of the proposal then? excellence?
on another note, i always wonder how you can submit a proposal 4 years in a row. my project is submitted to MSCA, if i dont get it, i will take another, not so highly sought after grant/fellowship and do the project instantly, because it would be outdated and potentially done in a similar fashion by somebody else otherwise. probably not relevant for many other fields, but in my field projects are highly competitive and you can get scooped easily if you have bad luck and dont use the most recent cutting-edge techniques etc.....

hopefulacademic

Post by hopefulacademic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:56 pm

AnnaMC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:09 pm

How long did it take you to write up the whole thing? For me it was almost a full two months. Also, did your host institution and potential supervisor help you out drafting/reviewing your proposal, and how much? For instance. this is my second attempt with a basically new proposal and host-institution as well as supervisor. In my first attempt the institution did help, sending some guidelines and providing advice and feedback, but the supervisor gave no feedback AT ALL... this time the supervisor and host reviewed the proposal and proposed some things.
The first time I had a proposal ready that I had sent to Oxford. I used that as my base so a lot of work was done but especially in the last week I worked everyday 2-3 hours on it. If you see it fulltime, it will have taken me 4 weeks to write it but it is important to do small bits and get regular feedback from your supervisor/institution. The second time I spent much more time on finetuning. While the proposal stayed the same for the most part, I spent much more time on making things fit the right sections of the proposal, give more detail where possible, and definitely stayed more in touch with my supervisor.

Shapovalov

Post by Shapovalov » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm

nexus wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm
Anyway, it's my fault to try to get any piece of info before 2/11
Results will be out well before 2/11.

About 9 months before, on 11/2 :geek:

Robrad30

Post by Robrad30 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I'm applying to the SE panel to work with a biotech startup. We had originally planned submitting a project on an entirely different topic and had talked about that before the summer. If fell through though. The company contacted me maybe 3 weeks before the deadline and asked if I'd be open to writing a proposal on a new topic (one that is much more in my area of interest actually) so I said yes. That gave us about 2 1/2 weeks working maybe 12-13 hours a day 7 days a week ( all with a 6 month old baby, and a partner who was writing an ERC grant at the same time!) trying to get it done from scratch. The science came from me, but they definitely helped with opinions and suggestions. Where they were really super helpful though was with the rest of the proposal. They have much more experience than me with outreach and project management for example so were really able to guide me with that aspect. I was pleasantly surprised at how things work in an industrial setting compared to academia!
AnnaMC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:09 pm
On another note, leaving speculation aside juuuust for a while, lets talk about something else that might be helpful to other applicants or even us, if we are rejected ( :? ) and decide to resubmit (hopefully not but the statistics don't help at all hahah :lol: :lol: ).

I hope that my luck will change this time around!!

LUCK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING HERE GUYS

I am crossing, not just my fingers, but also my cats' paws!!!

Robrad30

Post by Robrad30 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Remember, quite a few in here based in the US!
Shapovalov wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm
nexus wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm
Anyway, it's my fault to try to get any piece of info before 2/11
Results will be out well before 2/11.

About 9 months before, on 11/2 :geek: